Another reason US healthcare system sucks

Diuretic

Permanently confused
Apr 26, 2006
South Australia est 1836
Ed Siemen is a cop. He has devoted his last good years to protecting the residents of a small town in the northwest Valley.

Now, he's hurt, sick and may be dying, and on Thursday, the town fired him after one of his doctors acknowledged that he can no longer do the job.

"The town cannot continue to hold open your position . . . " wrote Youngtown Manager Lloyce Robinson, citing the fact that it's a small town and needs to fill Siemen's spot with a healthy officer. "The town has no other vacant positions at this time for which you may qualify."

Full story at link - Youngtown fails to protect dying cop

My point was about health care. He loses his job, he loses his health insurance. What kind of a dumbarse system is that? In a country with some form of universal health care, unemployment doesn't mean you lose your health care scheme, that was my point. He would still have the health care he needed.

Something very much like that happened to me, too.

It's quite common, acutally.

Small businesses (and small public governments, too) cannot afford to have long term sick people in staff.

They really have very little choice but to let you go.

Plus, when the sick person is gone, their insurance prmiums typically go down.

As long as the sickly take the loss in full, it's a win win situation for the businesses and insurance companies.

The businesses may regret it, but they really have no choice.

Another not uncommon example of real health care in this land that some claim has the best health care in the world.

Something very much like that happened to me, too.

It's quite common, acutally.

Small businesses (and small public governments, too) cannot afford to have long term sick people in staff.

They really have very little choice but to let you go.

Plus, when the sick person is gone, their insurance prmiums typically go down.

As long as the sickly take the loss in full, it's a win win situation for the businesses and insurance companies.

The businesses may regret it, but they really have no choice.

Another not uncommon example of real health care in this land that some claim has the best health care in the world.

I just find it surprising that health care depends on your keepibg your job. Universal health care would fix that and it would take a huge burden off employers (and just think if the employer didn't have to pay health insurance then a good collective bargaining agreement might see some of that money delivered to employees).

Anyway, I thought it was dreadfully sad.

Forum List

Back