Another reason an overstretched military is a bad idea.

I don't know if you child was a returning war veteran, but know this..

I knew more guys who died shortly after leaving the service (suicide or drug overdoses, which I suspected were really suicides) than I knew guys who actually died in Nam.

And here I'm not talking about my former patients, but guys from my town that I went to HS with.

They came back, broken, indifferent to life, angry, confused, and now all used up, abandoned by the military.

Nobody I knew who was in the field, who actually slogged through the crap in Vietnam, I mean (many were there, but in sweet safe billets, understand, they were fine) seemed to me to be better man for having done so.

Combat vets oten have a difficult time fitting back in to the civilan world.

I knew quite a few guys who returned to the service, even so they could return to combat in Vietnam, because of that change in world view that they all seemed to undergo.

i call b/s on this stat...you got any data for it....i grew up at ft bragg during the vietnam war...i cannot name one person who took their own lives after the war.

Do you think that the welcome mat laid out for them by the liberals and hippies helped them adjust back to normalcy? :eusa_eh:

i will also call bs on this one.. there are a lot of myths out there but very few things happened in reality...this is just more of the blame the liberal bs.

did anyone mention that bush loses his licenses for not showing up for the first medical check up that included drug testing...lets tell all the facts.

Straight up LIE. He did not get his physical because he was no longer in a flight status, his aircraft was being decommissioned and he had not enough time to train on another. YOU need to check YOUR facts. He flew more hours then required before he gave up his flight status and he served all the hours needed to finish his Air National Guard service.

Having been in the Guard I know how it works. EVERYONE can skip weekends and then make them up later, EVERYONE can request and MOST get, transfers for temporary assignments for ANY reason they want. The only exception being if the Unit you are leaving absolutely needs you and your MOS. His plane was being decommisioned, his unit did not need him so they allowed him to go elsewhere. He missed weekends so when he cam back to his regular unit he made every one up.

You have absolutely NO evidence he did drugs while in the service, not a single shred of it. Further they have RANDOM drug tests , especially for pilots, he was probably tested a lot while on duty.

You may want to FACT Check your own ignorant rant.

i will also call bs on this one.. there are a lot of myths out there but very few things happened in reality...this is just more of the blame the liberal bs.

You are ignorant as hell if you did not know about the treatment returning troops got in this Country during Viet Nam. Hell I was in Army uniform in 74 and 75 and got it even then. ANd when I joined the Marine Corps in 79 I was harrassed at bus stations in California routinely. As were all the other Marines that took leave and went to places like LA. Even in Riverside and outside 29 Palms and Pendelton.

My father served 2 times in Viet Nam, full tour and then a short tour when he was wounded and nearly died the second time. He remained in the Army to retirement around 1984. He eventually lost both his legs in the late 90's due to that old wound from Viet Nam. He was a Alcoholic, but he was always one of those. He actually quit drinking in the 80's and stayed on the wagon the rest of his life. I was VERY proud of that accomplishment.

He basically committed suicide at the end by not taking his medications for his heart. The people taking care of him did not know he was hiding the pills under his bed till after he died. My oldest brother tried to take care of him, had him for 2 years till Dad made life so miserable for himself and my brother's family that Dad found someone else to take care of him. After Mom died Dad kinda gave up. They were not married at the time and probably never would have gotten back together but he always thought they would. She passed in 93 and his life went down hill from there.

Actually, quite a bit happened. THere were rallies and a whole population of students, druggies and draft dodgers who thought it was cool to denigrate and attempt to humiliate and otherwise show their hatred for Viet Nam vets. They were called baby killers openly, and this went on for years.

I remember it, I was there. I remember the news, and the way the media portrayed our soldiers and hour upon hour of discussion and "specials" about how horrible our soldiers were, how wrong they were, how cruel, stupid, and basically evil they were.

Where were you?

Yes I definitely blame the liberal BS. I blame their BS for getting us into that war, for fucking up its execution, for not supporting our troops in battle, for pulling out and causing the deaths of 3 million innocent people, and for spitting on our troops when they came home.

But that isn't happening now, and the suicide rates now are rising every year.

Who is to blame in this case?

p.s. I like the idea of giving the military more money, but I like it even better in the context of a GI bill type thing to help with college ed. People who thought about joining the army, might go ahead and join because of an educational incentive, whcih seems like a win win.

Forum List

Back