another quake hits Haiti !!!

So far, international relief efforts have been disorganised, disjointed and insufficient to satisfy the great need. Governments have pledged nearly $1bn (£640m) in aid, and thousands of tonnes of food and medical supplies have been shipped. But much remains in warehouses, or diverted to the neighbouring Dominican Republic. The damaged port and impassable roads complicate efforts to get aid to the people.

The US defence secretary, Robert Gates, said the military would send a port-clearing ship with cranes aboard to Port-au-Prince. It will be used to remove debris that is preventing many larger ships carrying relief supplies from docking.

Haiti hit by second strong earthquake | World news | guardian.co.uk

Cruise Ships Still Find a Haitian Berth

Luxury liners are still docking at private beaches near Haiti's devastated earthquake zone for holidaymakers to enjoy the water

by Robert Booth
Sixty miles from Haiti's devastated earthquake zone, luxury liners dock at private beaches where passengers enjoy jetski rides, parasailing and rum cocktails delivered to their hammocks.

The 4,370-berth Independence of the Seas, owned by Royal Caribbean International, disembarked at the heavily guarded resort of Labadee on the north coast on Friday; a second cruise ship, the 3,100-passenger Navigator of the Seas is due to dock.

royalcaribbean_haiti.jpg
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines faced a difficult decision over whether to dock as per itinerary at Labadee Beach, Haiti after last week's tragic quake. (Photograph: Daniel Morel/AP)

The Florida cruise company leases a picturesque wooded peninsula and its five pristine beaches from the government for passengers to "cut loose" with watersports, barbecues, and shopping for trinkets at a craft market before returning on board before dusk. Safety is guaranteed by armed guards at the gate.

The decision to go ahead with the visit has divided passengers. The ships carry some food aid, and the cruise line has pledged to donate all proceeds from the visit to help stricken Haitians. But many passengers will stay aboard when they dock; one said he was "sickened".

"I just can't see myself sunning on the beach, playing in the water, eating a barbecue, and enjoying a cocktail while [in Port-au-Prince] there are tens of thousands of dead people being piled up on the streets, with the survivors stunned and looking for food and water," one passenger wrote on the Cruise Critic internet forum.

Cruise Ships Still Find a Haitian Berth | CommonDreams.org

I would think that relief ships could dock at Cap Haitien area and then supplies could go overland!

3463103324_e3e27fdf16.jpg

I think they might just be able to haul a lot of stuf in/on one of these!

Last edited:
I saw a CNN report where there is great anger in the MASH units about how the US military can't get it together in Haiti. They still didn't have surgery capability yesterday.

The IDF had a fully functional surgery, ICU and obstetrics ward by Saturday.

What is going on in DC that the US military is far behind the Curve?

The Cubans, Venezuelans and the Russians don't have the capability, but they are giving it their all. Where is the blockage that the US is doing so badly there?

I saw a CNN report where there is great anger in the MASH units about how the US military can't get it together in Haiti. They still didn't have surgery capability yesterday.

The Cubans, Venezuelans and the Russians don't have the capability, but they are giving it their all. Where is the blockage that the US is doing so badly there?

where else. DC. he's to busy playing round ball now

Money spent on wars here there and everywhere, for no bid contracts, for privatized services crony contracts, and then shortchangig those who actually are the defense troops, including the National Guard units... who would normally be sent out to help... who would normally have the equipment....

You will notice that Blackwater, and Dyncorp, and Kellog, Brown and Root, and Halliburton are nowhere to be found, after all, no profit for them in Haiti!

This is another gift from the "Oh, the market can do it better" folks, that want to privatize everything!

Forum List

Back