Another one missing from mainstream media

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
Gorelick Ignored Terror Warnings, Ex-FBI Chief Says

In her first year as deputy U.S. attorney general in the Clinton administration, Sept. 11 Commissioner Jamie Gorelick was warned that lax U.S. immigration policies made the U.S. a tempting target for terrorists, former FBI Director Louis Freeh revealed on Monday, suggesting that Gorelick did little to remedy the situation.

"Protecting our homeland from attacks by foreign terrorists had long been the FBI's priority," said Freeh in a lengthy Wall Street Journal op-ed piece.

"Back in September 1994, I recommended to Deputy Attorney General Jamie Gorelick that the DoJ strengthen investigative powers against suspected 'undesirable aliens,' accelerating deportation appeal proceedings and limiting U.S. participation in a visa waiver pilot program under which 9.5 million foreigners entered the U.S. in 1994."

Freeh said he also recommended "that we include provisions for the detention and removal of undesirable aliens, under a special, closed-court procedure."

"I also criticized alien deportation appeal procedures which often took years to conclude. Finally, I recommended legislation to provide the FBI with roving wiretap authority to investigate terrorist activities in the U.S."

But if Gorelick took Freeh's warnings seriously, she didn't make much headway with her superiors.

By 1996, under the Clinton administration's Citizenship USA program, thousands of criminal suspects were rushed through the naturalization process without proper background checks in order to get them on the voting roles on time for that year's presidential election.

According to former Justice Department investigator David Schippers, under the accelerated procedures, the U.S. was swarming with:

• More than 75,000 new citizens who had arrest records when they applied.

• An additional 115,000 citizens whose fingerprints were unclassifiable for various technical reasons and were never resubmitted.

• Another 61,000 people who were given citizenship with no fingerprints submitted at all.

At least one new citizen was already in jail by the time he was naturalized under the Clinton administration's program.

According to Schippers' 1999 book, "Sell Out," Jamie Gorelick was tasked with expediting the new rules under which criminal background checks were suspended for new immigrants.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/4/12/140006.shtml

Freeh Notes Clinton's Failure on al-Qaida

In a commentary today in the Wall Street Journal, former FBI Director Louis Freeh refers - indirectly, of course - to Bill Clinton's failure to deal with terrorism.

He writes:

Al Qaeda was at war with the U.S. even before Sept. 11, 2001. In August 1998, it attacked our embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. In December 1999, one of al Qaeda's soldiers, Ahmed Ressam, entered the U.S. to bomb Los Angeles airport. In October 2000, al Qaeda attacked the USS Cole in the port of Aden.

The question before the 9/11 Commission is why our political leadership declared war back on al Qaeda only after Sept. 11, 2001. Osama bin Laden had been indicted years before for blowing up American soldiers and embassies and was known as a clear and present danger to the U.S. So what would have happened had the U.S. declared war on al Qaeda before Sept. 11? Endless and ultimately useless speculation about "various threads and pieces of information," which are certainly "relevant and significant," at least in retrospect, will not take us very far in answering this central question.

On Jan. 26, 2001, at 8:45 a.m., I had my first meeting with President Bush and Vice President Cheney. They had been in office four days. We discussed terrorism, and in particular al Qaeda, the African embassy bombings, the Cole attack and the June 1996 Khobar bombing in Saudi Arabia. When I advised the president that Hezbollah and Iran were responsible for Khobar, he directed me to follow-up with Condoleezza Rice. I did so at 2:30 p.m. that day and she told me to pursue our investigation with the attorney general and to bring whatever charges possible. Within weeks, a new prosecutor was put in charge of the case and on June 21 an indictment was returned against 13 Hezbollah men who had been directed to bomb Khobar by senior officials of the Iranian government. I know that the families of the 19 murdered airmen were deeply grateful to President Bush and Ms. Rice for their prompt response and focus on terrorism.

I believe that any president and Congress faced with the reality of Sept. 11 would have acted swiftly and overwhelmingly as did President Bush and the 107th Congress. They are to be commended. However, those who came before President Bush can only be faulted if they had had the political means and the will of the nation to declare a war back then, but failed to do so. The fact that terrorism and the war being waged by al Qaeda was not even an issue in the 2000 presidential campaign strongly suggests that the political will to declare and fight this war didn't exist before Sept. 11. ...

Freeh, who served under Clinton and Bush, is scheduled to testify Tuesday before the 9/11 commission. Should be interesting.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/4/12/131124.shtml

Originally posted by JIHADTHIS
And Gorelick sits on the panel........if it wasn't such a serious issue it would be funny...

They should add Clarke & Kerry to the panel so that we know this really isn't about a witch hunt.

Seems this tidbit slipped through the cracks as well.

Dick Morris: Clarke Nixed Warnings About Terrorist States

The list of contradictions between what ex-terrorism czar Richard Clarke told the 9/11 Commission this week and what he's said in the past just keeps growing longer and longer.

Now comes word that the anti-terror crusader actually tried to tone down terrorism warnings in President Clinton's speeches.

"In 1995, when President Clinton was about to speak to the United Nations, I wrote a speech draft for him that included an explicit condemnation of rogue nations North Korean, Iran, Iraq and Libya," former White House insider Dick Morris told Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly Thursday night.

"And the National Security Council under Richard Clarke took it out of the speech."

When Clinton gave another speech in California a few months later, Morris said he put the same language in, and Clarke's NSC took it out again.

Finally, Morris said, Clinton told him he wanted the terrorism language in his next speech, and to fax it to him directly to keep Clarke out of the loop.

Despite his protestations to the contrary, Morris said, "Clarke didn't take terrorism that seriously in the first term. Nobody in the Clinton administration did."

Morris said that whatever attention the terrorist threat did get was Clinton's doing, not Clarke's.

In his old boss' second term, the terrorist threat might have loomed larger but for the two women in Clinton's life, maintained Morris.

"Let me say something that nobody has the guts to say right now," he told O'Reilly. "The reason that the United States didn't do anything [about terrorism] in the second Clinton term was because of impeachment, Monica Lewinsky, and then getting Hillary elected to the Senate."

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/3/26/133403.shtml

Originally posted by jimnyc
They should add Clarke & Kerry to the panel so that we know this really isn't about a witch hunt.

Having a naive moment, I actually thought the panel may have done some good, but it's obviously morphed into payback for that election they stole right out from under President Gore:tinfoil:

I think a lot of accusations against Bush from the Demos will slap them in the face. They have bombarded us with constant finger pointing and name calling with John Kerry and his main support Kennedy leading the pack.

I have grown sick of it - knowing that one man who held office for eight mos. has taken one hundred percent blame for 9/11....

Slowly the truth is coming out....slowly....

As for the election stolen from Gore - are you kididng?

Originally posted by winston churchi
I think a lot of accusations against Bush from the Demos will slap them in the face. They have bombarded us with constant finger pointing and name calling with John Kerry and his main support Kennedy leading the pack.

I have grown sick of it - knowing that one man who held office for eight mos. has taken one hundred percent blame for 9/11....

Slowly the truth is coming out....slowly....

As for the election stolen from Gore - are you kididng?

Sorry I forgot the [sarcasm] tag!

I hope it all does come back and bite Kerry and company in the ass. It's only April, can you imagine how shitty this is going to get by October?

Guess who appointed Gorelick to the panel...George W. Bush!

I can't defend the Clinton justice department because it was run by, other than John Ashcroft, the worst Attorney General in U.S. history. Bill Clinton's biggest failure as president was his appointment and then continued support of Janet Reno.

acludem

The sad part about this farce of a commission is that it puts on display to the whole world how politcized our country is. When we have to show the world a congressional hearing on who caused 9/11, it makes us look like a laughing stock to the whole freaking world. EU, Asia, and most importantly the Terrorists. They see us as bickering over the trivial details of the past instead of focusing on the Dire Consequences of Reality.

It don't matter if Clinton caused it, Gore Caused it, Bush Caused it, Carter Caused it, I caused it or you Caused it. Its not going to rewind time and undo 9/11.

While some people are stuck with the "Trivial Pursuit" of power and their agenda, they are jeopardizing the lives of every American in this country and abroad. Bush has taken the fight to the animals. That is all that should matter. The How and the Why are for the history books to decide.

Reagan was vilified for his actions. Yet he stood firm and brought down the Soviet Union. History calls him a fool and a cowboy on the left and one of the Greatest American Presidents on the Right. But the point is, there isnt anymore Soviet Union threat to the US. We're safe from that because Reagan fought the Soviets in the Global front and the Liberals on the Domestic front and won. Bush is doing the same against Terrorism. Lets just pray to God that he wins as well.

Originally posted by acludem
Guess who appointed Gorelick to the panel...George W. Bush!

And by the way, YOU ARE WRONG ANYWAY!

Gorelick was appointed by the democrats.

"Democratic leaders on Wednesday appointed four other members to the panel: outgoing Sen. Max Cleland, D-Ga., outgoing Rep. Timothy Roemer, D-Ind., attorney Richard Ben-Veniste, and Jamie Gorelick, a deputy attorney general in the Clinton administration."

http://www.apfn.net/messageboard/12-14-02/discussion.cgi.57.shtml

Like I said before, do you just make things up as you go along? You've made another point for me that I've been saying all along! The many clueless liberals are 'blaming' Bush for things they aren't even educated on. Just spout out crap after crap and hope some of it slips through the cracks.

Forum List

Back