Another Navy Ship That Can't Carry Out Its Missions

image.jpg

What's the sense of having "modern" ships if they can't do their jobs? LCS ships keep breaking down. One spent the winter stuck in the Great Lakes because it couldn't navigate the ice. And, when they do work, they either run into other ships or let other ships run into them.

The catamaran-style expeditionary fast transport ships, according to the report, were supposed to be able to carry 1.2 million pounds of cargo for 1,200 nautical miles at an average speed of 35 knots, or about 40 miles per hour. But initial testing showed the ships were only able to carry that amount for 769 nautical miles at an average speed of 31 knots.

The aluminum ships have a large cargo space and a flight deck for helicopters and drones. They were designed to respond to a wide variety of military missions and could also be used in evacuations and disaster relief.

More @ Navy ship designed for fast transport has speed, transportation problems, report says

Modern Navy Warships have gas turbine power which is high maintenance. Old Navy Warships used JP-5 to fire steam boilers, 1500 PSI and the Guided Missile Destroyer circa 1968 could make 40 Knots No Smoke. In most cases old tech is better than new tech. Rooster Tails were common and green water over the signal bridge was not uncommon. Maximum speed on any ship is not determined by HP but the ratio of length X width. The best ratio is just under 10:1.
I disagree............While gas turbines are harder to maintain and troubleshoot they are much faster than the old CG's and 1200 pound superheated steam at about 950 degrees.........Running full throttle your extremely lucky to get 35 knots out of it. The Gas turbines are used to be able to keep up with the CV's............which can HAUL ASS...........So fast that they will shake the living hell out of the ship...........

Another problem with the old boiler systems.......Heat signature.........easier to detect via heat................others.....steam leaks...............heat stress in the engine rooms causing loss of control air..........and others.............

The gas turbines don't have those problems...........but are a pain in the butt to troubleshoot.........I only had limited experience with that..........as the one I worked was small for back up power.............in case you lose the SSTG's Ships Service Turbine Generators......

LCS is a waste of money........Aluminum ships are proven to have many problems...........Cracking being a major player due to temperature changes and Electrolysis..........................

Superstructures in DDG have had serious problems due to Aluminum above the main deck.

Should have built more DDG's and or Pegasus style Hydrofoils..............

Ahh, finality made contact with another DDG Sailor on USMB. I would rather be a scab on the belly of a whore than a below deck sailor on a man-o-war.

LCS is a waste of money........Aluminum ships are proven to have many problems...........Cracking being a major player due to temperature changes and Electrolysis..........................

Superstructures in DDG have had serious problems due to Aluminum above the main deck.

Ahh, finality made contact with another DDG Sailor on USMB. I would rather be a scab on the belly of a whore than a below deck sailor on a man-o-war.
The Black Gang keep the ship running............keep you off water hours............and give you the power to fire weapons.........and fix the equipment that cooks your meals......provides you with chill water for AC........and so on and so on........

Was a CG.........Old Converted DDG...............Leahy Class.

The Black Gang keep the ship running............keep you off water hours............and give you the power to fire weapons.........and fix the equipment that cooks your meals......provides you with chill water for AC........and so on and so on........

Was a CG.........Old Converted DDG...............Leahy Class.

DD that was converted DDG in 68. USS Somers was top heavy which made it rock like a pendulum, thank goodness for the stable element in missile plot. Somers was 3-D.

Ships take weeks to do what aircraft can do in days...Air Power.

There are more airplanes in the ocean than there are ships in the sky!
I remember one year for Ex Foal Eagle someone in SOC leadership decided that we were going, as a squadron to sail from Okinawa to the ROK on a God Damned U.S. Army ship.
Three F***in days on that piece of crap. Needless to say, we flew on our aircraft back to Kadena...5.5hrs. You can have that sea faring horseshit.

I remember one year for Ex Foal Eagle someone in SOC leadership decided that we were going, as a squadron to sail from Okinawa to the ROK on a God Damned U.S. Army ship.
Three F***in days on that piece of crap. Needless to say, we flew on our aircraft back to Kadena...5.5hrs. You can have that sea faring horseshit.
Flat bottomed...............lol

Turn green............lol

Sorry..............couldn't resist.

Flat bottomed...............lol

Turn green............lol

Sorry..............couldn't resist.
That's not even a joke. People were puking their asses off. I just took my Dramamine and laid atop of a mobility bin...nothing to do. Completely stupid idea...shut up and color.

Obama the great!
How far gone down the blindly partisan political rabbit hole do you have to go to blame a president who took office in 2009 for a program that started in 2004?
Obama gutted the military. We are still seeing the carnage from that fag.
Okay, then explain how you are blaming him for a ship program from 2004? He was a state senator in Chicago.
You don't accept explanations,troll.

You don't accept explanations,troll.
Troll? What kind of cop-out answer is that to explain what seems like an irrational comment you made? This ship program was started in 2004. The designs were made, the money was spent, the acquisition path outlined, etc. yet your reaction to it being a shitty program is to blame Obama, who was a state senator in Chicago at the time.

"Obama gutted the military", even if true, doesn't offer a reasonable explanation for you blaming him for this ship. Blame him for troop levels, canceled programs, etc. but I'm baffled as to how you think he's at fault for a poor ship design that they actually did end up purchasing.

Forum List

Back