Another Navy Ship That Can't Carry Out Its Missions

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
image.jpg

What's the sense of having "modern" ships if they can't do their jobs? LCS ships keep breaking down. One spent the winter stuck in the Great Lakes because it couldn't navigate the ice. And, when they do work, they either run into other ships or let other ships run into them.

The catamaran-style expeditionary fast transport ships, according to the report, were supposed to be able to carry 1.2 million pounds of cargo for 1,200 nautical miles at an average speed of 35 knots, or about 40 miles per hour. But initial testing showed the ships were only able to carry that amount for 769 nautical miles at an average speed of 31 knots.

The aluminum ships have a large cargo space and a flight deck for helicopters and drones. They were designed to respond to a wide variety of military missions and could also be used in evacuations and disaster relief.

More @ Navy ship designed for fast transport has speed, transportation problems, report says

image.jpg

What's the sense of having "modern" ships if they can't do their jobs? LCS ships keep breaking down. One spent the winter stuck in the Great Lakes because it couldn't navigate the ice. And, when they do work, they either run into other ships or let other ships run into them.

The catamaran-style expeditionary fast transport ships, according to the report, were supposed to be able to carry 1.2 million pounds of cargo for 1,200 nautical miles at an average speed of 35 knots, or about 40 miles per hour. But initial testing showed the ships were only able to carry that amount for 769 nautical miles at an average speed of 31 knots.

The aluminum ships have a large cargo space and a flight deck for helicopters and drones. They were designed to respond to a wide variety of military missions and could also be used in evacuations and disaster relief.

More @ Navy ship designed for fast transport has speed, transportation problems, report says
No problem. Our military has a limitless credit card and will never have to fight a real war again. This ship won’t even make a dent. The contractors will keep their subsidies, don’t worry.

Its called sabotage......better wake up.....F-35, LCS, King Stallion, maybe Ford class........all junk and or major problems

image.jpg

What were the capabilities of previous LCSs???

Still seems impressive

I know LCS was targeted for death......and survived to fail another day.....double the fail because of 2 deigns.

Obama the great!

it was greenlighted under bush

keep swinging, corky
And should have been killed under Obama as fail piled up

they were under construction when he took office; i have no idea if he did or didn't try to kill it

failure is frequently an orphan

i imagine the program had backers in congress that weren't prepared to let it die, just like the f-35

Yup, this is mainly the fault of the congress critters and senators who always turn a blind eye to failure when it comes to the defense spending in their districts. A true shame and it endangers our troops which makes it criminal in my opinion.

LCS is a waste of money........Aluminum ships are proven to have many problems...........Cracking being a major player due to temperature changes and Electrolysis..........................

Superstructures in DDG have had serious problems due to Aluminum above the main deck.

Should have built more DDG's and or Pegasus style Hydrofoils..............

Obama the great!

keep swinging, corky

they were under construction when he took office; i have no idea if he did or didn't try to kill it

i imagine the program had backers in congress that weren't prepared to let it die, just like the f-35

Yup, this is mainly the fault of the congress critters and senators who always turn a blind eye to failure when it comes to the defense spending in their districts. A true shame and it endangers our troops which makes it criminal in my opinion.
Most disturbing is the Brass that clings to failure too........weak Congress critters I can understand to a point....Top Brass....not so much

Obama the great!

keep swinging, corky

Most disturbing is the Brass that clings to failure too........weak Congress critters I can understand to a point....Top Brass....not so much

When they retire they get jobs consulting with the defense industry companies that they cover for. Like I said, it is absolutely criminal what the defense industry gets away with.

Builder Blames Navy as Brand-New Warship Disintegrates

To sum it up....Electrolysis eats the ship via current to ground problems......ANY BLEED OFF CURRENT pits the aluminum and literally EATS IT............

Austal wasn't good at dealing with this before they got this contract. Before I got into Industrial I worked down the way from Austal's......pulled one of their boats out of the water to fix problems......Hull was ATE UP.......They didn't isolate the nuetrals in the electrical power grid..and this bleed off current was EATING THE SHIP

image.jpg

Modern Navy Warships have gas turbine power which is high maintenance. Old Navy Warships used JP-5 to fire steam boilers, 1500 PSI and the Guided Missile Destroyer circa 1968 could make 40 Knots No Smoke. In most cases old tech is better than new tech. Rooster Tails were common and green water over the signal bridge was not uncommon. Maximum speed on any ship is not determined by HP but the ratio of length X width. The best ratio is just under 10:1.

Forum List

Back