Another Nail in the Coffin

Damn, a very rational post. Yes, I do agree with you, Kooky. There will not be anything of substance done concerning global warming until the problem is totally out of control. The agricultural failures due to weather in the last 12 months have had no affect on the opinions, same for the weather causing them. The Missouri and Mississippi remain in flood as we post. A flood that started before May. And will continue into next month, unless we get more extreme precipitation. Then it may be late fall before the water goes down.

So, we will get a reduction in human population. Somalia is just the start. The scientists have warned of this for decades now, and it has started. Ten years ago, I thought that I was old enough I would not see much of the coming debacle. I was wrong, too many factors moving far faster than even the most alarmist models predicted.

Damn, a very rational post. Yes, I do agree with you, Kooky. There will not be anything of substance done concerning global warming until the problem is totally out of control. The agricultural failures due to weather in the last 12 months have had no affect on the opinions, same for the weather causing them. The Missouri and Mississippi remain in flood as we post. A flood that started before May. And will continue into next month, unless we get more extreme precipitation. Then it may be late fall before the water goes down.

So, we will get a reduction in human population. Somalia is just the start. The scientists have warned of this for decades now, and it has started. Ten years ago, I thought that I was old enough I would not see much of the coming debacle. I was wrong, too many factors moving far faster than even the most alarmist models predicted.

Damn back Old Rocks.

Indeed.....for me, there is nothing more challenging than blogging with a highly rational liberal ( in my experience, they are rare) who does display the ability to weigh necessary tradeoffs..........even if he doesnt agree with them. It is very though for me to assign respect to the thinking of a liberal..........:banghead::banghead::banghead:......but alas, I must.

I guess.........in the end......we're doomed either way. It thus becomes only a matter of choosing our way of starving to death.

PS Rocks..........next time you do that northern America expedition with the kid's, Im lending you my Mustang. I dont even care if you put a big green leaf magnet on both sides..........but it'll be even more fun!!!:woohoo:

Last edited:
It is hilarious how extremely gullible you are, wired&bent.

What is hilarious is how you continue to preach the faith when it is falling apart all around you. Salby is no lightweight. Like it or not, when this guy talks, scientists all over the world listen. Here, have a look at some of his published articles and texts:

Salby, M, 1981: Rossby normal modes in nonuniform background configurations. Part I: Simple fields. J. Atm. Sci. , 38 , 1803–1826.

Salby, M, 1981: Rossby normal modes in nonuniform background configurations. Part II: Equinox and solstice conditions. J. Atmos. Sci. , 38 ,1827–1840.

Salby, M, 1982: Sampling theory for asynoptic satellite observations.
Part I: Spectra, resolution, and aliasing. J. Atm. Sci. , 39 , 2577–2600.

Salby, M, 1982: Sampling theory for asynoptic satellite observations.
Part II: Fast Fourier synoptic mapping. J. Atm. Sci. , 39 , 2601–2614.

Salby, M, Hartmann, D., Bailey, P., and J. Gille, 1984: Evidence for equatorial Kelvin waves in Nimbus-7 LIMS. J. Atm. Sci. , 41 , 220–235.

Salby, M, 1984: Survey of planetary-scale traveling waves: The state of theory and observations. Rev. Geophys. Space Phys. , 22 , 209–236. (Invited review).

Salby, M, and R. Garcia, 1987: Transient response to localized episodic heating in the tropics. Part I: Excitation and short-time near-field behavior.

J. Atm. Sci. , 44 , 458–498. Garcia, R., and M. Salby, 1987: Transient response to localized episodic heating in the tropics. Part II: Far-field behavior. J. Atmos. Sci. , 44 , 499–530.

Salby, M, 1989: Climate monitoring from space: Asynoptic sampling considerations. J. Climate , 2 , 1091-1105, (Invited).

Salby, M, P. Callaghan, and S. Solomon, and R. Garcia, 1990: Chemical fluctuations associated with vertically propagating equatorial Kelvin waves.

J. Geophys. Res. , 95 , 20491 – 20505. Salby, M, H. Hendon, K. Woodberry, and K. Tanaka, 1991: Analysis of global cloud imagery from multiple satellites. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc. , 4 ,

467–479 (cover). Salby, M, and P. Callaghan, 1993: Fluctuations in total ozone and their relationship to stratospheric air motions. J. Geophys. Res. , 98 , 2716–2727.

Salby, M and M. Juckes, 1994: An algorithm for retrieving the circulation from satellite measurements of tracer behavior. J. Geophys. Res.,99, 1403-1417.

Salby, M, and Hendon, H., 1994: Intraseasonal behavior of clouds, temperature, and motion in the tropics. J. Atmos. Sci , 51 , 2207-2224.

Hendon, H. and M Salby, 1994: The life cycle of the Madden-Julian Oscillation. J. Atmos. Sci. , 51 , 2225-2237.

Bergman, J. and M Salby, 1994: Equatorial waves derived from fluctuations in observed convection. J. Atmos. Sci., 51, 3791-3806.

Salby, M and P. Callaghan, 1997: Sampling error in climate properties derived from satellite measurements: Consequences of undersampled diurnal variability. J. Climate , 10 18-36 .

Fusco, A. and M Salby, 1999: Interannual variations of total ozone and their relationship to variations of planetary wave activity. J. Climate,12, 1619-1629.

Salby, M. and P. Callaghan, 2000: Connection between the solar cycle and the QBO: The missing link. J. Climate 13 , 2652-2662.

Francis, G. and M Salby, 2001: Radiative influence of Antarctica on the polar night vortex. J. Atmos. Sci. , 58 , 1300-1309.

Gettelman, A., Salby, M., and F. Sassi, 2002: Distribution and influence of convection in the tropical tropopause region. J. Geophys. Res. , 107 , ACL6 (DOI 10.1029/2001JD001048).

Salby, M. and P. Callaghan, 2002: Interannual changes of the stratospheric circulation: Relationship to Ozone and tropospheric structure. J. Climate, 15 , 3673-3685.

Salby, M., F. Sassi, P. Callaghan, W. Read, and H. Pumphrey, 2003: Fluctuations of cloud, humidity, and thermal structure near the tropical tropopause. J. Climate , 15 , 3428-3446.

Salby, M. and P. Callaghan, 2004: Control of the tropical tropopause and vertical transport across it. J. Climate, 17, 965-985.

Salby, M. and P. Callaghan, 2005: Interaction between the Brewer-Dobson circulation and the Hadley circulation. J. Climate , 18 , 4303-4316.

Salby, M. and P. Callaghan, 2006: Influence of the Brewer-Dobson circulation on stratosphere-troposphere exchange. J. Geophys. Res. 111 , D21106, doi:10.1029/2006JD007051.

Salby, M. L., and P. F. Callaghan, 2006: Evidence of the solar cycle in the tropical troposphere. J. Geophys. Res. 111 , D21113, doi:10.1029/2006JD007133.

Salby, M. and P. Callaghan, 2007: On the Wintertime Increase of Arctic Ozone: Relationship to Changes of the Polar-Night Vortex. J. Geophys. Res. 112 , D06116, doi:10.1029/2006JD007948.

Salby, M., 2008: Involvement of the Brewer-Dobson circulation in changes of Northern Hemisphere ozone. Dynamics of Atmospheres and Oceans (Invited/In Press)

Books

Salby, M, 1992: The Atmosphere. In Climate Systems Modeling , K. Trenberth Ed. Sponsored jointly by UCAR and the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI), Cambridge University Press 53–115.

Salby, M, 1996: Fundamentals of Atmospheric Physics . International Geophysics Series, Academic Press, 628 pp. 2nd Printing (2005)

Salby, M, 2002: Planetary Waves. in Encyclopedia of Physical Science and Technology , P. Crutzen Ed. Academic Press, 12 , 357-371.

Salby, M, 2003: Fundamental Forces and Governing Equations, Chapter 2, in Handbook of Weather, Water, and Climate: Dynamics , Cliimate, Physical Meteorology, Weather Systems, and Measurements , T. Potter and B. Colman, eds. (Wiley-Interscience, Hoboken NJ, 2003), 7-20.

Salby, M, 2009: Fundamentals of Atmospheric Physics . International Geophysics Series, Academic Press, 2nd Edition (In Preparation)

Forum List

Back