Another Multi-Million Dollar Entitlement in CA

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
In a little-publicized move, outgoing California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger recently approved a bill that creates a new multi-million dollar entitlement. Signed into law during the waning months of his second term, Senate Bill 782 bans landlords from kicking out scofflaw tenants who are victims of domestic violence.

The law defines a domestic violence victim as any person who “has filed a report alleging that the protected tenant or the household member is a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking.” Note “alleging”: no evidence or proof is necessary. If you declare yourself a victim, under the law you are.

So a single unproven accusation serves to keep a landlord high and dry — at the expense of flummoxed homeowners across the state.

Pajamas Media Abuse Industry Paves the Royal Road to the Welfare State

Too nuts to be true? :confused:

I've heard it's difficult to be a landlord in CA. This will be totally abused, no doubt.

I'm sorry, but victims of abuse need to take some personal responsibility. Many of them continue to return to their abusers. They feed into the cycle of abuse, somehow. Putting this burden on the backs of landlords is absurd!

I was a landlord for 15s years in Cali.

Never had any problem renting my house and the laws NEVER got in my way.

You people just dont think a person who has to call the police on their abuser needs a month or two while they reorganize their lives without the abusers monotary input.

Why is it you people hate your poorer citizens so much you think they are all deadbeats?

You people just dont think a person who has to call the police on their abuser needs a month or two while they reorganize their lives without the abusers monotary input.

Why is it you people hate your poorer citizens so much you think they are all deadbeats?
Because it makes them feel better about themselves.

People who doubt their own self worth (often justifiably, I note) have a tendency to come down hard on people who they think are unable to defend themselves.

They basically bullies.

Last edited:

Many of them are deadbeats - get over it.

I doubt it. I looked at the text of the bill and it looks like the intent was to protect victims who may be evicted BECAUSE of the abuse. I can dig that. But it is so vague, that I have a feeling the tenants will be protected even for typical stuff like non payment of rent. Then what is a landlord to do? And no where in there does it say that they get "a month or two to get their act together" Where does truth come up with this stuff?

Landlords are required to change locks within 24 hrs. That could be unreasonable if he or she lives elsewhere.

Forum List

Back