Another Month Gone and Another 20,000 Jobs gone with it

I'm just using official numbers neubarth. I know things such as people coming off unemployment no longer being counted as unemployed, even if they aren't working, affect the percentage which is why i didn't comment about it.

The fact is this is the 13 th month with net job loss out of obama's 13 months. Regardless of why its happening he needs to have the job market turn around soon or it will all fall on him (it being the blame)

Well he's not the messiah. *Poof*millions of jobs created in a week. :lol:

Seriously though, we are coming off our worst recession since The Great Depression really. There were probably some moments in which we were on the brink. And yet, here we are today.

U.S. Lost 20,000 Jobs in January, but Rate Dips to 9.7% - NYTimes.com

Maybe this month, feburary, we will FINALLY have some net job creation. A TON of stimulus money is due to be spent starting this month and increasing progressively right up till december so I'm thinking feburary may finally be the month that breaks the cycle of job loss.

Wonder how they lost more jobs but somehow figured a way to lower the unemployment rate?

It's a mystery. Maybe it has something to do with how they gathered their bogus numbers....ya think?

Spending money isn't going to create a single permanent job. It's all just a temp solution at best.

Just think of where we would be if Bush had dealt with this problem when it became evident what was transpiring in the economy instead of calling all the experts who were warning it was coming doom and gloomer or whiners.

This could have been averted if adults had been in charge.

Wonder how they lost more jobs but somehow figured a way to lower the unemployment rate?.

The Employment level comes from the Current Employment Statistics, a monthly survey of businesses. It measures jobs, not people (1 person with 2 jobs is counted twice). It only covers businesses that contribute to Unemployment Insurance, and it excludes farm workers, the self-employed, and people who work in others' houses. The Dec-Jan change was -20,000 but the margin of error for the change is +- 99,435 so the actual change was 90% chance of being between - 119,435 and +79,435 So it's not statistically different from no change at all.

The Unemployment rate comes from the Current Population Survey, which is a survey of households. Its Employment measure includes everyone, but has a larger margin of error, so it's not the official level. It's also a measure of people, not jobs, so 1 person with two jobs counts once. Also, the UE rate comes from the week of the month that includes the 12th, while the Employment level comes from the pay period that includes the 12th of the month.

So by the CPS, the employment change was (again 90% confidence) between +103,447 and +978,553, with the official estimeat at +541,000

Is that really surprising when we're talking two different surveys with 2 slightly different reference periods, different samples, measuring different things should have different results?

I'm just using official numbers neubarth. I know things such as people coming off unemployment no longer being counted as unemployed, even if they aren't working, affect the percentage which is why i didn't comment about it.

The fact is this is the 13 th month with net job loss out of obama's 13 months. Regardless of why its happening he needs to have the job market turn around soon or it will all fall on him (it being the blame)

Well he's not the messiah. *Poof*millions of jobs created in a week. :lol:

Seriously though, we are coming off our worst recession since The Great Depression really. There were probably some moments in which we were on the brink. And yet, here we are today.

Hopefully next month we actually create some jobs. It looks plausible from the trend over the last 6 months.

Just think of where we would be if Bush had dealt with this problem when it became evident what was transpiring in the economy instead of calling all the experts who were warning it was coming doom and gloomer or whiners.

This could have been averted if adults had been in charge.

Bush dealt with it by spending more and cutting taxes....that equals a fail

Obama is dealing with it by spending more and keeping taxes neutral....i think that is better than bush's doings but still not smart.

Smart would be either cutting spending/taxes or raising spending/taxes. You cant have one without the other and expect the economy to be healthy in the long run.

U.S. Lost 20,000 Jobs in January, but Rate Dips to 9.7% - NYTimes.com

Maybe this month, feburary, we will FINALLY have some net job creation. A TON of stimulus money is due to be spent starting this month and increasing progressively right up till december so I'm thinking feburary may finally be the month that breaks the cycle of job loss.

A while ago...(towards the end of Bush's horror fest) we were losing 700 thousand jobs a month. Things look better.

we all know this zona. It doesn't change that we haven't created any new jobs since 2008. This sucks.

Well, at least we didn't have to fire our teachers, cops, firemen, etc...and there have been jobs created since then......well, things are looking better. We didn't get here in a year, we wont be out of this mess in one either.

If things continued the way it was, this country would be in a real, genuine depression.

and the job losses only started 13 months ago?

your not that daft USCitizen. Look at the context of the debate where i mentioned the 13 months so far under obama.

We all know how bad it was at the end under bush, no one denied that.
I know you acknowledged this...but

700 thousand a month....then
20 thousand a month now. That is 20 thousand too many and Obama is making that his priority next, but expect the right to fight him all the way just like health care.

Wait for it. Its already starting. They will say no immediately.

Forum List

Back