Another look at those 'gubmint' schools. . . .

No...The point is that schools will raise their tuition when they get all that "free" money.

You want to watch tuitions drop like a rock, abolish Pell grants.

Hey Dude, Just for grins, go here and put in your zipcode and tell me what school they tell you you could use a Pell Grant
How is that even relevant?

You pump up the marketplace with "free" money and other institutions will play the "what the market will bear" game, whether they take the grants or not.

No child should be afraid to go to school in this country. Never. Period.

How do bleeding hearts deal with that? They advocate for the criminals "right to an education" Diversity, "civil rights" and "alternative programs" for gang bangers and drug dealers trump student safety every time. Screw the other 90 percent. Despicable.

No...The point is that schools will raise their tuition when they get all that "free" money.

You want to watch tuitions drop like a rock, abolish Pell grants.

Hey Dude, Just for grins, go here and put in your zipcode and tell me what school they tell you you could use a Pell Grant

You pump up the marketplace with "free" money and other institutions will play the "what the market will bear" game, whether they take the grants or not.

Just Do It...I promise it is SFW.

You'll see what "market place" you're talking about. Not just any school accepts Pell Grants

They seem to be able to afford to eat, live indoors, buy clothing and automobiles.

Perish the thought that parents prioritize their spending to provide the best education for their kids.

40% of American families make less than 35 thousand dollars a year. The average cost of private K-12 schools is $10,000 a year.

Are you suggesting that poor families go hungry to send their kids to private school?
A price that is grossly inflated because gubmint runs them and bears no economic penalties for being wasteful and inefficient.

Imagine how much less it would be if fathers didn't have half their income taking from them and more mothers could homeschool (due to the increase in income). There would be more homeschool co-operatives, traditional schools would have to be efficient in what they teach, they would be forced to teach what the students parents wanted the children to learn. Parents would have so much more incentive to be involved. Businesses would have incentives to train older students (think internships/apprenticeships) at little to know cost. But nope, instead we quiver on the fear of unknown and stick with what works: Few people with drive, few people with any actual skill, millions of defeated youngsters, and millions of people with economically worthless degrees and $100k of debt...

Perish the thought that they drive a less expensive car or forgo that new flat-panel teevee. :rolleyes:

Wait...

Maybe I'm missing something... What the fuck are you talking about?

This thread is about public vs. private schools and homeschooling, I think. But that doesn't seem to be what you're talking about, since Pell Grants are college grants. So maybe I'm lost. But I don't think so.

You'll see what "market place" you're talking about. Not just any school accepts Pell Grants
All I see is a pain in the ass survey that eternally tells me "one more page to go".

Could you get to the point and spare me the runaround?

All I see is a pain in the ass survey that eternally tells me "one more page to go".

Weird, all I did was type in my zip, and I got the TOP SCHOOL that accepted a Pell Grant:

DeVry University

I really doubt tuition's going to drop a helluva lot at DeVry University if they lose Pell Grant recipients.

Perish the thought that they drive a less expensive car or forgo that new flat-panel teevee. :rolleyes:

Wait...

This thread is about public vs. private schools and homeschooling, I think. But that doesn't seem to be what you're talking about, since Pell Grants are college grants. So maybe I'm lost. But I don't think so.

This thread is not so much public vs private vs homeschooling children but how children are best educated.

The fact is private schools are doing a better job of that overall than are the public schools, and parents are making major sacrifices to provide that advantage to their children. Other parents are making an even greater sacrifice by investing the amazing amount of time and energy that is required to homeschool their kids.

EZ asked who is going to teach the parents to teach their homeschooled kids?

Well my neice has a highschool diploma and no college, but she decided to homeschool her youngest son. So she did the research, consulted appropriate sources for curriculum, and just did it from kindergarten on. When he started highschool they enrolled him in public school. Within two weeks he was begging to come home. "They wasted so much time he said - they are so far behind he said - they put out so much bullshit he said." So he finished highschool at home, qualified for a full academic scholarship, and is now in his third year of college with a 4.0 gpa.

So, instead of defending public schools that aren't doing the job, I think the debate should be on how best to educate the children, rich and poor. Right now public education does not appear to be giving them the best deal.

Weird, all I did was type in my zip, and I got the TOP SCHOOL that accepted a Pell Grant:

DeVry University

I really doubt tuition's going to drop a helluva lot at DeVry University if they lose Pell Grant recipients.
I saw DeVry and U of Phoenix advertising on the side panels, but didn't see anything that said they were the only places accepting Pell Grants.

In fact, I believe that just about every state-run university accepts them.

Wait...

This thread is not so much public vs private vs homeschooling children but how children are best educated.

The fact is private schools are doing a better job of that overall than are the public schools, and parents are making major sacrifices to provide that advantage to their children. Other parents are making an even greater sacrifice by investing the amazing amount of time and energy that is required to homeschool their kids.

Well my neice has a highschool diploma and no college, but she decided to homeschool her youngest son. So she did the research, consulted appropriate sources for curriculum, and just did it from kindergarten on. When he started highschool they enrolled him in public school. Within two weeks he was begging to come home. "They wasted so much time he said - they are so far behind he said - they put out so much bullshit he said." So he finished highschool at home, qualified for a full academic scholarship, and is now in his third year of college with a 4.0 gpa.

So, instead of defending public schools that aren't doing the job, I think the debate should be on how best to educate the children, rich and poor. Right now public education does not appear to be giving them the best deal.

I disagree with you, but honestly mostly because almost my entire family are public school teachers, so I clearly have a bias.

I also a purely a product of public schools, and I went to some of the best schools in the country. I don't deny that the public school system has its faults. But I don't see a viable alternative that could work for everyone in the country.

DeVry University

I saw DeVry and U of Phoenix advertising on the side panels, but didn't see anything that said they were the only places accepting Pell Grants.

In fact, I believe that just about every state-run university accepts them.

I thought so to, that's why I did the search.

Can you find one?

Utah State

Last edited:
Private schooling is not an option for everybody. It's just not. There are people out there who flat-out can't afford to pay for their kid's education, and so society-via-government has decided to use tax dollars to fund a public education system because people figured out that a broadly-educated populace is a competitive populace.

A completely private-education system will keep poor kids from getting the opportunity for an education, and will reduce class mobility. It would be national suicide in the long term.

If there's one thing our government must focus on in that long term, it's the competitiveness and effectiveness of our public education system.

We do need public education funded by tax dollars, like it or not. The debate should be about how to restructure the curriculum for a modern work-force in a service-based economy, and that the funding is going to the right places. Repealing NCLB would be a start, I think.

Wait...

I disagree with you, but honestly mostly because almost my entire family are public school teachers, so I clearly have a bias.

I also a purely a product of public schools, and I went to some of the best schools in the country. I don't deny that the public school system has its faults. But I don't see a viable alternative that could work for everyone in the country.

Among my family are kindergarten teachers, gradeschool teachers, middle school teachers, highschool teachers, college professors, and some administrators including one highly successful superintendent of schools - most have been or are in the public school system.

So I should have the same bias as you.

I however am a parent who happened to be educated in a public school that was locally funded before the federal government and the teachers union got involved. And I was blessed with an education that prepared me to compete with anybody for a place in the world.

My kids did not get the superior public school education that I enjoyed, but it was adequate and they both are educated, one with a PhD, and are accomplishing themselves quite nicely. But we gave up a lot of vacations and ate a lot of hamburger to afford to give them every advantage that would enhance their respective educations. We were not wealthy or even financially comfortable by any means.

And now, having been a substitute teacher myself at times, having served on a school board, being active in the PTA and other parent's associations, and also being an employer who interviews and on occasion hired the products of today's schools, I am painfully aware of the very poor education so many of these kids are getting. And I'm not seeing the same phenomenon from the private and homeschooled kids.

I am not opposed to public education but it needs to be local. The federal government should get out of it entirely other than to accumulate and dispense statistics.

Another look at those 'gubmint' schools. . . .

America pays way too much for education compared with other industrialized countries. I wish the US would cut educational spending so that I'd have more money to spend on private education for my kids.

If we could some way boot the federal government from the process and defang the teachers' union, I think we would fast find the costs coming down and the quality of education going up a lot. If we could restore the public schools to what they once were, there would be no significant disadvantage to students attending public schools and we wouldn't be spending so much more than other nations and getting poorer results. Private schools would become the snobby elitist places they used to be before they became a necessity. :)

I don't believe it will get better, however, with politicians and ideologues controlling the purse strings.

I am not opposed to public education but it needs to be local. The federal government should get out of it entirely other than to accumulate and dispense statistics.

Have you ever looked at the budget for your local school district?

It is online.

How much of the budget is from the feds?

What programs do the Feds support?

You can look it up or believe me: The Feds mainly support Free and Reduced Meal programs, and Special Ed.

If you're in an urban area, then the feds might contribute 30% of the budget.

New Topics

Forum List

Back