Another look at "anti-semitism".

teddyearp

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2014
Pinetop, AZ
So, I asked some time ago, "Who are considered 'semites'" in this thread:

Anti-Semitism and Zionism

I do not believe that anyone understood where I was going with that question, so I will continue here. This is one wiki definition (and ANYONE can edit Wikipedia so don't go on with that 'slant'):

Semitic people - Wikipedia

Let me get to the point here. The anti-semetic card has been thrown around to those who are anti-Israel and perhaps anti-Jews. Pro-Palestinians have been given this label as well. And its a Sunday, the first day of the week and I have nothing better to do, hehe.

Many who post here as pro-Palestinian have no peaceful solution for the Palestinians, they only want the total destruction of the NATION of Israel. That is NEVER going to happen. The end result of going down that road is not going to be good for the Palestinians.

So, yes, in my honest opinion, Pro-Palestinians are anti-Semitic, not only because they hate the Nation of Israel and/or the Jews, but also because they do not ever have any proposition for a truly lasting peace for any of the people that live in that region.

Anit-Semitism in my opinion means that they also do not care at all for the welfare of the Palestinians as well.

While I agree with your post for the most part, I would caution you about usurping a term which has always been intended to mean "anti-Jewish" and applying it to other groups. Antisemitism is not a generally applied term, like "discrimination". It means a very specific, very unique type of discrimination directed only at the Jewish people.

While I agree with your post for the most part, I would caution you about usurping a term which has always been intended to mean "anti-Jewish" and applying it to other groups. Antisemitism is not a generally applied term, like "discrimination". It means a very specific, very unique type of discrimination directed only at the Jewish people.

Actually it's a linguistic term, and the Semitic languages include both Hebrew and Arabic as well as others. So that's not very specific.

Actually it's a linguistic term, and the Semitic languages include both Hebrew and Arabic as well as others. So that's not very specific.

"Semitic" is a linguistic term delineating a specific group of languages, yes.

'Antisemitism" is a specific term for an irrational hatred of Jews. It should not be usurped for other purposes.

'Antisemitism" is a specific term for an irrational hatred of Jews. It should not be usurped for other purposes.

If "Semitic" refers to a group of languages....

.... then its opposite antiSemitic cannot be exclusive.

You can't have it both ways. The term either means a group, or it means one. And it means the former.

That is because Jews think its only means them and they are the only ones who died in WWII as well. the jew arrogance is sometimes a little to much to take.

You can't have it both ways. The term either means a group, or it means one. And it means the former.

Oh please. What would "antisemitism" mean in the context of linguistics and language groups?

Antisemitism is a specific term for a specific type of irrational discrimination. It is not generalized discrimination against all people who speak languages in the Semitic group of languages. It is a specific, defined hatred against only that one peoples.

Anyone who argues that the term actually means something different than its true meaning is only trying to dilute the irrational hatred of Jews which has been going on for thousands of years. Its a deception aimed at denying the existence of this distinct brand of irrational discrimination. (See Penelope 's post as illustration of this).

There is absolutely no purpose in re-defining the term "antisemitism" other than to hide or disguise the irrational hatred of Jews.

Agreed. However, I was called 'Ted Cerebellum' at a previous job. Because I thought too much. Really?

The intent of this thread is to turn that term around. I hope you understand that.

It will probably be another one of my threads that die an early death because there is nothing here that the anti-Israel, (supposed) pro-Palestinian crowd can refute.

Get it?

The term has come to mean "anti-Jewish". It was actually a German who coined the phrase to mean hatred of Jews alone, and this German was, himself, anti-Jewish. Just like Islamophobia has come to mean hatred of Muslims. For instance, there can be no doubt that Penelope is rabidly anti-Jewish. But she will get herself off-the-hook by saying she's not anti-Semitic because she's not against Arabs. So it becomes a play on words. It's too bad that German coined that phrase because it just confuses everyone, and lets vicious anti-Jews get off-the-hook.

Agreed. However, I was called 'Ted Cerebellum' at a previous job. Because I thought too much. Really?

The intent of this thread is to turn that term around. I hope you understand that.

It will probably be another one of my threads that die an early death because there is nothing here that the anti-Israel, (supposed) pro-Palestinian crowd can refute.

Get it?

Yep. I get it.

The so-called "Pro-Palestinians" are not so much pro-anything. They do not support the well-being of the Arab Palestinian peoples. They do not support solutions and the end of conflict. On the contrary, they support continued conflict and continued harm as a way of perpetuating their victim status in order to achieve a specific goal. That goal is not the well-being of the Arab Palestinians. Therefore, they are acting AGAINST the best interests of the Arab Palestinians, making them anti-Palestinian as well as anti-Israel.

How's that?

So, I asked some time ago, "Who are considered 'semites'" in this thread:

Anti-Semitism and Zionism

I do not believe that anyone understood where I was going with that question, so I will continue here. This is one wiki definition (and ANYONE can edit Wikipedia so don't go on with that 'slant'):

Semitic people - Wikipedia

Let me get to the point here. The anti-semetic card has been thrown around to those who are anti-Israel and perhaps anti-Jews. Pro-Palestinians have been given this label as well. And its a Sunday, the first day of the week and I have nothing better to do, hehe.

Many who post here as pro-Palestinian have no peaceful solution for the Palestinians, they only want the total destruction of the NATION of Israel. That is NEVER going to happen. The end result of going down that road is not going to be good for the Palestinians.

So, yes, in my honest opinion, Pro-Palestinians are anti-Semitic, not only because they hate the Nation of Israel and/or the Jews, but also because they do not ever have any proposition for a truly lasting peace for any of the people that live in that region.

Anit-Semitism in my opinion means that they also do not care at all for the welfare of the Palestinians as well.
Although anyone can edit Wikipedia you have little perspectives for nonsense being untouched. The only hot topic is political correctness, where facts are not prioritized in some articles.

The term has come to mean "anti-Jewish". It was actually a German who coined the phrase to mean hatred of Jews alone, and this German was, himself, anti-Jewish. Just like Islamophobia has come to mean hatred of Muslims. For instance, there can be no doubt that Penelope is rabidly anti-Jewish. But she will get herself off-the-hook by saying she's not anti-Semitic because she's not against Arabs. So it becomes a play on words. It's too bad that German coined that phrase because it just confuses everyone, and lets vicious anti-Jews get off-the-hook.

Agreed.

Islamophobia technically would mean "fear of Islam", but the accepted meaning is "irrational fear of Muslims". Language is funny that way. Plenty of words which technically mean one thing but are accepted as meaning another. Or language which has changed meaning over time. There is no reason to change the meaning of "antisemitism" from the accepted meaning to a new meaning unless your purpose is to hide Jew-hatred.

Oh please. What would "antisemitism" mean in the context of linguistics and language groups?

Antisemitism is a specific term for a specific type of irrational discrimination. It is not generalized discrimination against all people who speak languages in the Semitic group of languages. It is a specific, defined hatred against only that one peoples.

Correct. It wouldn't make sense. You'd have to be linguistically against the way the (in this case) Semitic languages operate.

And yet --- that's what it has to mean. We can't tag an entire diverse group with a single term and then declare that "anti" in front of that term applies to only one of them.

Would we use the term "antiGermanic" to describe, say, the United States, on the basis that we speak a Germanic language?

Again -- wouldn't make sense.

Anyone who argues that the term actually means something different than its true meaning is only trying to dilute the irrational hatred of Jews which has been going on for thousands of years. Its a deception aimed at denying the existence of this distinct brand of irrational discrimination. (See Penelope 's post as illustration of this).

Not in the least. I'm not even addressing that and not in the least interested. My point is linguistic. That's it. No reason to read extra stuff into it. Actually I'm saying the opposite of what you suggest here.

There is absolutely no purpose in re-defining the term "antisemitism" other than to hide or disguise the irrational hatred of Jews.

Again --- to earmark a general term into only one of its members, that's what's irrational. So yes, there is reason: linguistic clarity. And it's not "re-defining" --- "re-defining" would be singling out a single ethnic group, after you've already included others in the same group --- that's re-defining in midstream.

Forum List

Back