Another Liberal Myth: Rich people are more well off than poor people

Being miserable is not inclusive to any financial position.
It's easier being miserable if one is rich.

Wow, this is amazing.

Are you seriously claiming with a straight face that the wealthy AREN'T better off than the poor?

Of course the rich still have problems. We all do, no matter what. But you don't think they have fewer problems than the poor?!

Let's try a little exercise. After you die, God tells you that you're going to be reincarnated. You get to choose if you'll be a wealthy man or a poor man. Are you seriously going to tell God, "It doesn't matter, the wealthy aren't any better off than the poor anyway, so just flip a coin"?

Come on, man.

I take it this is your first run-in with Mani.

No, he's not claiming this - or about anything - with a 'straight face.'

For years now we've been hearing liberals spout support for policies aimed at helping society's poorest, going so far as to repeatedly peddle the bald faced lie that rich people are somehow more well off than poor people. As any wise and educated person can tell you, money does not buy happiness. And what's a truer measure of happiness than how 'well off' a person happens to be? This disconnect between money and happiness has been known and understood by man for centuries. Yet here we have these bleeding-heart liberals, still proffering in this nonsense in the year 2011. When does this myth finally get put to rest?

Incontrovertible proof: Watch an all day marathon of "Housewives of (insert rich liberal shithole here)" and if you have an ounce of empathy you'll commit suicide from sheer misery.

Only Pub rich are so stupid, vain, selfish, vulgar, greedy, oblivious, and moronic. Sorry.

It's called playing along... :eusa_shhh:

For years now we've been hearing liberals spout support for policies aimed at helping society's poorest, going so far as to repeatedly peddle the bald faced lie that rich people are somehow more well off than poor people. As any wise and educated person can tell you, money does not buy happiness. And what's a truer measure of happiness than how 'well off' a person happens to be? This disconnect between money and happiness has been known and understood by man for centuries. Yet here we have these bleeding-heart liberals, still proffering in this nonsense in the year 2011. When does this myth finally get put to rest?

What a load of crap

Anyone who watches Fox News knows that the government buys poor people Escalades, filet mignon, HDTVs, cell phones and yes......even cigarettes

Everyone knows that even rich people can't afford cigarettes these days

Way to completely miss the point.

There was a point?

Mani is a professional troll. His thread starters are usually flames.

But with that said, in general, wealthy people have less problems than poor people. However, for those of us in between, it's all subjective. On their death beds, people don't say " I wish I made more money". They say "I wish I spent more time with my family". No one wants to die alone and rich, do they?

Sure, it's a silly thread from a troll but it does show the level to which the right is willing to stoop to avoid addressing real issues.

Should I use RDean to illustrate the same idiocy on the left or can you admit that every post is not the grater picture of the entire right??

If money has absolutely nothing to do with happiness, why do you suppose so many people want to hold onto theirs so much? Why don't you go ahead and just give me all of your money? Hey maybe if you live on the street for a while and don't know where you're going to get your next meal or how you will stay warm in the winter, you'll be as happy as me with all your money! Let's try it!

The title of your thread, which intends to make a philosophical point, is grossly misleading.

The term, well off, has a distinct and specific meaning. It refers to wealth and nothing other. So the comment that rich people are "more well off" than poor people (which I've never heard) is a moot statement of obvious and irrefutable fact. Rich people are indeed wealthier than poor people.

As for the tired adage that money can't buy happiness, that is a plainly mistaken notion. Money can indeed buy happiness, provided the holder is capable of being happy and knows how to prudently use his/her wealth in positive ways.

While it's true that some people will manage to be miserable no matter how much money they have, and in some situations the unwise use of money can operate to bring about unhappiness, the adage would be more definitive if it held that money can't always buy happiness.

What a load of crap

Anyone who watches Fox News knows that the government buys poor people Escalades, filet mignon, HDTVs, cell phones and yes......even cigarettes

Everyone knows that even rich people can't afford cigarettes these days

Way to completely miss the point.

As funny as Texarcher's, MikeK's and few other responses were, this one is my favorite.

Fucking priceless. If I didn't read the screename I'd swear that's the T.

Forum List

Back