Another Liberal myth: Oil compainies get subsidies/tax breaks

To Republicans giving the oil companies money is good.

Giving grandma money to pay for her heating oil is bad.

Budget 2011: Past Deficits vs. Obama’s Deficits in Pictures
Your Defict link is a scream

Ok lets get back to your comment. Provide 1 link in which the federal govt is giving oil companies any money?

Chris you liberals should take these events more serious. You and I both know no-one is taking a penny and givng it to the oil comapnies
Your making a fool of your self
Electing any-one based on this dribble is your choice, but dude we deserve better

Last edited:
People
Its there money to start with (via us, the consumer). no-one is "giving" them any-thing from the US govt

People pay taxes, not corporations. raise taxes on Exxon, there going to raise the cost of there product

ANd yet there the president is claiming that Exxon is getting a subsidy

ACtually you are wrong.

The oil producers would get the oil depletion subsidy from the GOV even if it didn't make a dime selling the oil.

That's why it isn't merely a tax break.

People
Its there money to start with (via us, the consumer). no-one is "giving" them any-thing from the US govt

People pay taxes, not corporations. raise taxes on Exxon, there going to raise the cost of there product

ANd yet there the president is claiming that Exxon is getting a subsidy

ACtually you are wrong.

The oil producers would get the oil depletion subsidy from the GOV even if it didn't make a dime selling the oil.

missed your link
If I pay in a 10% tax bracket and I do anything (legally) to lower that rate to 8%
thats not a break
thats not a subsidy

Thats me keeping more of the wealth I earned

The federal govt is not sitting down and writing a check to any oil company so they can go out and make money, they make the money first (the oil company) and depending on there tax bracket, they pay the federal govt

You libs keep trying to make this into an event that does not exist. A subsidy is the federal govt writing a check to pay for an event
A subsidy is a housing project being built with tax payers funds, were not building oil rigs with tax payers welath

Look we all pay taxes, thats part of the game
Me getting a a deduction for each dependant I have is not a subsidy, its not a break. I still owe the federal govt part of the welath I earn. Why do you think we dont have a different code like a flat tax

My issue is with the way the democratic party presents this to you, then you instead of thinking it thru run with it

THINK

You must understand the twisted thinking of liberals... see, they think the state is entitled to 100% of your money, not theirs mind you, but yours. Therefore, every $ the state doesn't take in taxes is a gift to you.

Stupid? Yes, but that's how they think.

Oil company executives acknowledged the existence of subsidies in testimony on Capitol Hill.

The OP is an idiot; he is denying common knowledge and inarguable fact, which is the worst form of idiocy.

He also thinks the deficit under bush was $163 billion. Go figure.

Calling any-one an idiot will get you taken seriously NY, having on ignore only shows I problaly need to put candy-corn the same
BTW candy corn
I stated that the defict for 2007 was 163 billion
these are called links
U.S. 2007 Budget Deficit Falls to $163 Billion (Update3) - Bloomberg

You must understand the twisted thinking of liberals... see, they think the state is entitled to 100% of your money, not theirs mind you, but yours. Therefore, every $ the state doesn't take in taxes is a gift to you.

Soggy I do not understand it. Why lie about it? if I cannot go thru life without the truth on my side, I would not know how to go thru life

Candycorn and NY do not pay taxes
in fact I would bet neither are over 18 years old

BHO and the dems focus on these people. It what got him elected
They need so bad to be educated, not because of Obama, for there future

Thinking that any company is getting free money from the govt to go make profit (excpet GM, AIG,) there nuts

You want a true definition of a subsidy, see GM
without it, there would be no GM

Last edited:

I've been saying that for years, but I put it like this:

Liberals believe your net income is a gift from the government.

ACtually you are wrong.

What good is a deduction if you make no income? The government does not write checks to oil companies that didn't earn a profit.

Oil company executives acknowledged the existence of subsidies in testimony on Capitol Hill.

The OP is an idiot; he is denying common knowledge and inarguable fact, which is the worst form of idiocy.

He also thinks the deficit under bush was $163 billion. Go figure.

Calling any-one an idiot will get you taken seriously NY, having on ignore only shows I problaly need to put candy-corn the same
BTW candy corn
I stated that the defict for 2007 was 163 billion
these are called links
U.S. 2007 Budget Deficit Falls to $163 Billion (Update3) - Bloomberg

Doesnt mean much. The debt increased 500 billion.

CEOs called before congress do not argue with the semantics Congress people phrase their questions in. They accept whatever terminology is used and and go from there. Not commenting on a word used is not a tacit acceptance that it is competely accurate, particularly since it is ubiquitous in political parlance.

Why don't you tell us how a standard tax deduction allowed for them to claim is a "subisidy" when all businesses get to claim it because it is a cost for their operations?

The Dems are talking about the worldwide profits that oil companies make, not what they earn from the USA sales.
ExxonMobil
They pay their fair share plus.
Government is paying subsidies to green energy, not oil companies.

What happens if Dems get rid of oil, like they want to.
What will happen to all of the petroleum based products like these;
A partial list of products made from petroleum

How will these items like tires, and plastics and thousand of other items be produced without petroleum?

CEOs called before congress do not argue with the semantics Congress people phrase their questions in. They accept whatever terminology is used and and go from there. Not commenting on a word used is not a tacit acceptance that it is competely accurate, particularly since it is ubiquitous in political parlance.

Why don't you tell us how a standard tax deduction allowed for them to claim is a "subisidy" when all businesses get to claim it because it is a cost for their operations?

You will never get an answer from him or any-one else that thinks the way they do.
I had a freind that was the same way a few years ago, I told him "those record profits" mean your 401k will make "record profit"
He looked into it and come to find out his largest mutual fund had Exxon in it.
I have never laughed so hard

(CBS News) WASHINGTON - Climbing gas prices have drivers looking for someone to blame. And politicians are looking to take advantage.

Senate Republicans Thursday shot down President Obama's plan to cut off oil companies' tax breaks.

The president says there's not much he can do to control gas prices. Nonetheless, he's working hard to appear to be trying.

He came to the White House rose garden Thursday to urge the Senate to repeal $4 billion in tax subsidies for big oil companies, even though no one thinks that would lower prices at the pump.

"They can either vote to spend billions of dollars on oil subsidies that keep us trapped in the past," said Mr. Obama, "or they can vote to end these taxpayer subsidies that aren't needed to boost oil production."

But moments after the president's plea, the Senate voted 51-47 against the bill, with four Democrats in the majority.

GOP blocks Obama's bid to end oil subsidies - CBS News
http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/2012/03/29/oil-subsidies-stay-as-gop-blocks-senate-repeal/
So its a lie? Doubt it again.Nice try right wing hack.

Last edited:
Here's the bill...

S. 2204: Repeal Big Oil Tax ... - Full Text - GovTrack.us

It would have ended tax breaks for the top five "Big Oil" companies. You know...the ones that are currently raking in HUGE profits.

You would want to kick someone off Welfare that got a job, right? Why would you support giving big oil companies tax breaks (that only effect THEM) when they are making money?

You're a shill for Big Algae

SEC. 105. ALGAE TREATED AS A QUALIFIED FEEDSTOCK FOR PURPOSES OF THE
CELLULOSIC BIOFUEL PRODUCER CREDIT, ETC.

(CBS News) WASHINGTON - Climbing gas prices have drivers looking for someone to blame. And politicians are looking to take advantage.

Senate Republicans Thursday shot down President Obama's plan to cut off oil companies' tax breaks.

The president says there's not much he can do to control gas prices. Nonetheless, he's working hard to appear to be trying.

He came to the White House rose garden Thursday to urge the Senate to repeal $4 billion in tax subsidies for big oil companies, even though no one thinks that would lower prices at the pump.

"They can either vote to spend billions of dollars on oil subsidies that keep us trapped in the past," said Mr. Obama, "or they can vote to end these taxpayer subsidies that aren't needed to boost oil production."

But moments after the president's plea, the Senate voted 51-47 against the bill, with four Democrats in the majority.

GOP blocks Obama's bid to end oil subsidies - CBS News
Oil subsidies stay as GOP blocks Senate repeal | Strange Bedfellows — Politics News - seattlepi.com
So its a lie? Doubt it again.Nice try right wing hack.

So the president calls a fixed tax rate that a company pays a subsidy?
your figuring this out. IT IS THE INTENT OF THE THREAD
You and I pay income tax, or at least I can say I do. Do you consider the dependants you claim a subsidy?
If not then what is the difference in what the oil compnaies pay and you and I pay?

To have an expense to risk millions in finding more oil is not a "dependant" in the grand scheme of things in the tax code, than what is?
There is what BHO calls a "subsidy" but in rela life its nothing more than a tax rate

One more question, who will pay for that tax hike if BHO got his way?
You think there is a special fund that exists only to pay taxes?

think about it and get back to me

Another misrepresentation of the facts.

The Congressional Research Service states the fledgling oil industry in the United States first received government assistance in 1916. That was when intangible drilling costs were able to be fully deducted from a company's expenses for tax purposes. In 1926, a write-off for cost depletion was introduced. That provision allowed oil companies to deduct costs based upon overall gross receipts and not just the actual value of the oil.

Both of those subsidies still exist.

History of U.S. Oil Subsidies Go Back Nearly a Century - Yahoo! News

Here
Subsidy | Define Subsidy at Dictionary.com

a direct pecuniary aid furnished by a government to a private industrial undertaking, a charity organization, or the like.

a sum paid, often in accordance with a treaty, by one government to another to secure some service in return.

a grant or contribution of money.

money formerly granted by the English Parliament to the crown for special needs.

Thats got to hurt, it alsoshows the term dis honest is not personal, it is the way it is

Last edited:
Your first step in earning some respect around here would be for you to show some respect for the English language.

So you come in with the pathetic spelling whine.

It doesnt take much to reduce you to spelling bitch does it.

I wish those Libs would just ignore this stuff
If they do not (don't) want to be part of the discussion, they bring nothing but whine

Yes and in a perfect world we wouldn't have to correct your misrepresentations of the facts. I know, I know you don't want hear from people who disagree with you. Just close your eyes, stick your fingers in your ears and repeat (very loudly) La-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-........

Forum List

Back