Another kid dies because of a senile old driver

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Story:

Proposed Bill Cracks Down On Older Drivers - Most Popular News Story - WCVB Boston

Excerpt:

The death of a 4-year-old girl hit by an 88-year-old driver in Stoughton over the weekend is expected to bring new attention to a Beacon Hill proposal aimed at restricting older drivers. NewsCenter 5's Todd Kaziekiewich reported that the death of Diya Patel was the fourth incident this month involving an older driver and a bill under consideration in the Legislature means the driver would have been retested three years ago.

Patel was riding her scooter with her family about 11:40 a.m. Saturday, using a crosswalk to traverse Washington Street, when she was hit.

The little girl was thrown about 50 feet.

Her grandfather said there were no cars around when they started to cross.

"No cars. No cars coming," a grief-stricken Govind Patel said.

She was rushed to Tufts New England Medical Center in Boston, but died on Sunday.

"There was way too much trauma to her head from the beginning, so they tried to give medication to relieve swelling but that wasn't working. So, the last measure was to do surgery, but that didn't work," said Mayuri Patel, a cousin of the victim.

Police have not released the name of the 88-year old Canton woman who was behind the wheel of the Toyota Camry that hit Diya. She has not been charged. Police said she was taken to Milton Hospital after experiencing shortness of breath.

Back on June 2, a 93-year-old man drove his car into a Danvers Wal-Mart, injuring a mother and her baby.

Just days later, a 73-year old woman lost control of her minivan and crashed into a crowd gathered for a memorial in Plymouth.

A bill sponsored by Sen. Brian Joyce of Milton has called for mandatory road testing for anyone over age 85.

My Dad had his driver license revoked after the one accident.
He was almost 80.
He died from Alzheimers at age 85.

Quote: A bill sponsored by Sen. Brian Joyce of Milton has called for mandatory road testing
for anyone over age 85.

Probably should be 75.

Baltimore Bob

Last edited:
I just don't get this, with so many accidents that happen where old people are NOT driving, why do they focus on just these? Drunk teens still kill more than older people.

• Banned
I just don't get this, with so many accidents that happen where old people are NOT driving, why do they focus on just these? Drunk teens still kill more than older people.

Good question. According to Senator Joyce, drivers over 85 are FOUR times more likely to kill someone than a teenage driver. And they don't need to be drunk either.

Next?

Good question. According to Senator Joyce, drivers over 85 are FOUR times more likely to kill someone than a teenage driver. And they don't need to be drunk either.

Next?

:eusa_eh: ... you believe a politician ... someone call Satan, I have some fur to trade.

It makes sense to test those over age 70 more frequently. People slow down as they age - their response time, their eyesight, their hearing, their mobility. Why not test them every two years rather than every four and test them every year after age 75? What's the big deal?

Next?

all the stats i could find indicated that fatalities caused by both groups are about the same. even though brian joyce is a douchebag of the first water, testing elderly is a good idea. the problem is that many elderly see loss of driving as the first step to the nursing home.

There's no comparison between teenage and elderly drivers contained herein.

Similarly, this has no comparison of crash fatalities between teenage and elderly drivers, nor between teenage drivers and any other group, for that matter.

This just re-directs back to the second link if you try to search for anything. I'd advise you to search for legitimate statistical evidence, but I don't believe any exists to support the claim that you've made.

At any rate, why not have a maximum driving age if we have a minimum driving age?

Perhaps a bit costly, but maybe everyone should have to be re-tested periodically. That would certainly address the ageism charge.

Yeah, we had a case just like this here in Costa Rica a few days ago. 91-year-old dude "lost control of the car" and killed an 8 year old and seriously injured his brother and mother. It really sucks.

Forum List

Back