Another iconic business goes out of business

Yeah, we all know how strong the deli-workers union is. :rolleyes:

Delis survive because they don't have a union. Unions will gladly do to fast food what they did to Hostess. Gladly, hell, they will do it joyfully.

You don't think a Union realizes that it needs jobs available in order to sustain itself?

No. Unions don't realize it needs jobs. That's why the union killed Hostess. It's why unions don't really care when they bankrupt entire cities.

Barack Obama on the political scene was simply too bizaare and remote an occurrence for the founders to consider.

Too dark, huh?

Actually, barack obama was exactly the occurrence that the founders DID consider. They knew that at some point the American public would one day become so corrupt that it would demand a barack obama. Ben Franklin spoke of it when he argued for adopting the Constitution.

"In these sentiments, sir, I agree to this Constitution with all its faults; if they are such; because I think a general government necessary for us, and there is no form of government but what may be a blessing to the people if well administered; and I believe, further, that this is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic government, being incapable of any other."

A Free State...If You Can Keep It - Liberty in Our Lifetime

Of course the founders knew that at some point the public would prefer a barack obama.

I'm failing to see what your complaint is here.

This is an act of "Creative Destruction" as Romney called it.

The owner of that building feels that he can get a bigger rent payment from a new tenant, so either the Deli pays up, or they go out of business.

Given how you guys on the right worship greed as the greatest of all virtues, I'm just not seeing what your problem here is. Wasn't a government program that put them out, it was the greed of another capitalist.

Yea the costs of Obamacare and the poor economy had nothing to do with this. And Romney has nothing to do with this stuff. Own it brah.

Nope.

Delis survive because they don't have a union. Unions will gladly do to fast food what they did to Hostess. Gladly, hell, they will do it joyfully.

You don't think a Union realizes that it needs jobs available in order to sustain itself?

No. Unions don't realize it needs jobs. That's why the union killed Hostess. It's why unions don't really care when they bankrupt entire cities.

Unions didn't kill Hostess.

It was "Romney Style" Creative Destruction that did them in.

I fully expect democrats to say Romney Style creative destruction did them in. It is the inability of democrats to recognize the causes that guarantees that the effects will be repeated. They will be repeated in companies, in cities, in states and eventually the nation.

Was Obama responsible for State Deli closing? He didn't plan it or order it, no. But is he responsible for policies and lack of leadership that have extended a really crappy economy? Yes he is.

If they were still offering a good product and the economy was good and business was booming, State Deli would still be in business. But given high rents and high labor costs, and business falls off, no business can lose money or operate on a no profit basis indefintely. I don't know a thing about this particular business or the product it sold, but I have watched a lot of businesses close their doors over the last four years. And I suspect there is a lot more of that to come.

Finally, the Right has an issue they can get their "brains" around!!! Lease-control, for small businesses.

Let free market freedom reign, priase teen Jesus!!!

Was Obama responsible for State Deli closing? He didn't plan it or order it, no. But is he responsible for policies and lack of leadership that have extended a really crappy economy? Yes he is.

If they were still offering a good product and the economy was good and business was booming, State Deli would still be in business. But given high rents and high labor costs, and business falls off, no business can lose money or operate on a no profit basis indefintely. I don't know a thing about this particular business or the product it sold, but I have watched a lot of businesses close their doors over the last four years. And I suspect there is a lot more of that to come.

Where you have an unstable economy people will start taking money wherever they can without regard for the future. The landlord doesn't care at this point who will meet his rent. When you have confiscatory tax policies, landlords prefer the losses of unrented space. They will use it for whatever write off they can get, then abandon the place.

Where you have an unstable economy people will start taking money wherever they can without regard for the future. The landlord doesn't care at this point who will meet his rent. When you have confiscatory tax policies, landlords prefer the losses of unrented space. They will use it for whatever write off they can get, then abandon the place.

Sometimes that is the case too. And I don't pretend to know what the circumstances are in this case. But if his expenses are too high for the landlord to lower his rents without taking a loss; and the rent is too high for Stage Deli to operate and make a decent profit, then something has to give. And in this case it was Stage Deli.

Sometimes our more leftist friends fail to understand the difference between private enterprise and government and think the businessman, whatever his business, should be in business for the common good. It just doesn't work that way, however, because the businessman has to make a profit to stay in business. The government only has to leach more from people who are actually earning what they have.

Forum List

Back