Another GOP who hates the troops

For a little perspective, in the 2000 election Al Gore's lawyers "high fived" each other every time an unopened bag of votes from the Military was dumped in the garbage for technical reasons. Gore's (correct) assumption was that the Military was not voting for him anyway.

That's one of the reasons I couldn't understand what he was getting at with this, most of the absentee ballots I've been given are the ones I've requested.

It's common practice in the military... to the best of my substantial knowledge on the subject. I know my brothers have to proactively request absentee ballots. I do too, for different reasons.

This is just partisan bullshit from one of the many partisan bullshitters on the forum. Shame on them.
Why does an active military have to request his Constitutional right?

The same reason every citizen has to register.

Voting is a proactive activity in our Republic.

For a little perspective, in the 2000 election Al Gore's lawyers "high fived" each other every time an unopened bag of votes from the Military was dumped in the garbage for technical reasons. Gore's (correct) assumption was that the Military was not voting for him anyway.

It was fine then.

It is not fine now.

Read into that what you will.

It's common practice in the military... to the best of my substantial knowledge on the subject. I know my brothers have to proactively request absentee ballots. I do too, for different reasons.

This is just partisan bullshit from one of the many partisan bullshitters on the forum. Shame on them.

Didn't you read the first bolded sentence? They are already registered to vote.

What is the SoS motivation for denying ballots to people who didn't vote in the last election?

What is the SoS motivation for denying ballots to people who didn't vote in the last election?

You're a dishonest hack, Synthia. All absentee voters go through the same process. The GOP are not singling out the military.... that is just you being a dishonest, hysterical, lying hack.

You're a dishonest hack, Synthia. All absentee voters go through the same process. The GOP are not singling out the military.... that is just you being a dishonest, hysterical, lying hack.
And you can't debate the issue. What's his motivation for denying registered voters ballots?

Did you read what I said? because you dont seem to understand it.

Did you read what I said? because you dont seem to understand it.
Yes. You said they have to register. I showed in the article that they are already registered.

NEXT!

NATO bombers supported the rebels in Libya while American Troops were inching their way across Afghanistan with barely any support from NATO? What's going on when the president supports the muslem brotherhood but not the American Troops in harms way?

Nobody is denying ballots to anyone. Just insisting that IF YOU WANT TO VOTE, YOU DO IT YOURSELF INSTEAD OF HAVING SOMEONE SPOON FEED YOU.

Should I sit at home on election day and wait for someone to knock on my door and ask to record my vote? What makes you think that these people even want to vote? Why waste the paper, the labor hours, and the postage to send ballots to people when there's no indication they have any interest in voting this coming election? For all you know, many of those people have been dead a decade. What's the point of sending ballots to a corpse?

Why in the world should it suddenly be an issue for people to request an absentee ballot on their own accord? Let me tell you, military personnel are well accustomed to having to do these kinds of things. And the military already has ample support channels in place to make sure that any service man or woman who so wants can have the chance to request an absentee ballot for him or her self. I'm guessing you didn't take this issue up last election, or the one before that, or the one before that, or the one before that. Give me one good reason why it should become an issue now.

The ignorance by the wingnuts in this thread is amazing and amusing.

MSNBC's Rachel Maddow is about to cover this in the re-broadcast of her show. If you are interested in active duty military being denied their Constitutional right just because they may have been too busy to vote in the last election, tune in.

Of course, there are some who won't watch because they hate the messenger. That's ok, too. I realize that I can't fix stupid in some of you.

By tomorrow, the clip will be online and I will post that link, too.

Hold on.....there's something to this.......

In a move that is leaving many in the military community gasping, the Colorado Secretary of State has decided to not allow Gilbert Ortiz, the Pueblo County Clerk to send ballots to “inactive” voters, those who didn’t vote in the last election – including military voters. When specifically asked about the military voters, Secretary Gessler declined to allow the Clerk to send absentee ballots to 64 active duty, currently serving, members of the military.

For the men and women in the military, who swear an oath to protect and defend the Constitution – shouldn’t they be allowed to do what all others can? The men and women in uniform, who put their lives on the line and serve their country deserve the right to vote for the leaders of that country, don’t they? The ones who have helped others get the right to vote, shouldn’t they have the right to exercise their right? This may be only one county in one state — but it is a precedent.

Read more: Colorado Won't Send Ballots to Military Overseas? | Care2 Causes

This REALLY should piss a lot of people off. My son-in-law recently returned home from Afghanistan but if he was still there and our Secretary of State decided he wasn't allowed to vote because he was overseas putting his life on the line I think I would be paying a little personal visit to our Secretary of State.

I really would like to see ANY vets on this board defend this decision.

Last edited:

In a move that is leaving many in the military community gasping, the Colorado Secretary of State has decided to not allow Gilbert Ortiz, the Pueblo County Clerk to send ballots to “inactive” voters, those who didn’t vote in the last election – including military voters. When specifically asked about the military voters, Secretary Gessler declined to allow the Clerk to send absentee ballots to 64 active duty, currently serving, members of the military.

For the men and women in the military, who swear an oath to protect and defend the Constitution – shouldn’t they be allowed to do what all others can? The men and women in uniform, who put their lives on the line and serve their country deserve the right to vote for the leaders of that country, don’t they? The ones who have helped others get the right to vote, shouldn’t they have the right to exercise their right? This may be only one county in one state — but it is a precedent.

This REALLY should piss a lot of people off. My son-in-law recently returned home from Afghanistan but if he was still there and our Secretary of State decided he wasn't allowed to vote because he was overseas putting his life on the line I think I would be paying a little personal visit to our Secretary of State.

If this is true the entire voting process will have to be done from scratch.

I really would like to see ANY vets on this board defend this decision.

Except no one is saying they can't vote. Hysterical bullshit does not equal 'fact'.

Forum List

Back