Another GOP who hates the troops

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Synthaholic, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Synthaholic

Synthaholic Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Kicking PoliticalChic's ass up & down the forum
    Ratings:
    +8,878
    Pueblo County Clerk Gilbert "Bo" Ortiz wanted an answer Thursday from Colorado Secretary of State Scott Gessler to a simple question but one heavily laced with politics: Could Ortiz send out roughly 70 mail ballots to registered county voters in the military, but who did not vote in the 2010 election?

"I want an order from the secretary's office by Friday (today) saying that I cannot send out those ballots because I believe I should under the (Uniform Military and Overseas Voters Act)," Ortiz said Thursday morning.

He got his answer at closing time Thursday. Gessler's letter to Ortiz said the secretary of state was sticking to his position that no inactive voters should get ballots sent to them this election — including out-of-area military voters, or those "covered" by the Uniform Military and Overseas Voters Act.

"A covered voter who is registered to vote may apply for a ballot. Ballots are not automatically sent to covered voters," Gessler's letter said. "Thus, Pueblo County may only send mail ballots to inactive voters who submit a timely request as required by the (Act)."

Perusing the letter Thursday night, Ortiz said Gessler had provided an order as asked.

Ortiz, however, said he wanted to discuss Gessler's letter with his legal adviser, Pueblo County Attorney Dan Kogovsek, before making a decision on the matter that has become more controversial with the added question of how inactive military voters should be treated.

The military voter issue is the latest twist in the confrontation between Gessler and two counties — Pueblo and Denver — over their intentions to send ballots to inactive voters this year. Denver Clerk Debra Johnson intends to send out about 55,000 ballots to inactive voters in that county, including military voters.

Ortiz has 17,000 ballots ready for inactive voters among the 82,000 he expects to mail out for the November election. He's already mailed out about 600 ballots to military voters who are considered active voters, meaning they voted in 2010. By law, military voters are supposed to get their ballots sent to them 45 days prior to an election.

More at the LINK

2. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,536
    Are you capable of being honest about anything? His position is that no inactive voters should get ballots sent to them this election — including out-of-area military voters. That means it applies to everybody, military or not. He isn't just targeting the military, but you already knew that, didn't you.

I don't agree with what he's doing either, but I am intelligent enough to not have to lie about the man in order to make my point.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Warrior102

Warrior102 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,029
    So ?

4. Photonic

Photonic Ad astra!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +247
    What does he mean?

On a second look, it would seem that I misread, he is including all inactive voters.

5. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    It means that Synthia is happy to use our brave military for partisan political bullshit. I hope you are disgusted by that. I know I am.

6. Photonic

Photonic Ad astra!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Sounds absolutely delightful.

7. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    With some people - on both sides - nothing is sacred, not our military, not even our war dead.... they use them for political point scoring. I always neg them for it... because I do not get such behavior go unchallenged.

8. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    Earlier I said that the standard for brilliance is an egocentric judgment.

Synthia apparently believes he is clever enough to have this story pass the smell test.

Apparently he has no insight into the reality of his intellectual standing in the population. Funny.

9. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,188
    I would point out that the mere fact that Syn has to go out of his way to misrepresent Republicans to find a Republican who "hates our troops" testifies to the fact that Republicans who "hate our troops" are extremely rare.

I wish Democrats who hate our troops were equally as rare.

10. Inthemiddle

Inthemiddle BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +674
    As I understand it, it's always been common practice for out of area voters to have to take the initiative to request their own absentee ballots. So I don't see anything here that is remarkable, other than one person wanting to defy established election law just so they can try to score political points.