Another GOP Flip-Flop: We were against SCOTUS filibusters, before we were for them

If a judge is "outside the judicial mainstream" I expect the Senate to exercise their obligation to stop the appointment.

Kyl's definition of "outside the judicial mainstream" is anyone Obama appoints.

What about that wise "latino woman"? Was she Bork'd?? You sound like a partisan hack when you make unsubstantiated claims that fly in the face of the facts. You can do better.

They didn't filibuster because they didn't have the votes to sustain it.

And as for Bork, cry me a river. It's a damn good thing that a guy who was massively corrupt (Saturday Night Massacre) and thought the government had the right to monitor every move you make was rejected.

Kyl's definition of "outside the judicial mainstream" is anyone Obama appoints.

What about that wise "latino woman"? Was she Bork'd?? You sound like a partisan hack when you make unsubstantiated claims that fly in the face of the facts. You can do better.

And as for Bork, cry me a river. It's a damn good thing that a guy who was massively corrupt (Saturday Night Massacre) and thought the government had the right to monitor every move you make was rejected.

The didn't filibuster - thus rendering your pathetically weak argument even more pathetic. If a nut job Marxist is nominated by Obama - he or she will be filibustered and they should be.

The didn't filibuster - thus rendering your pathetically weak argument even more pathetic. If a nut job Marxist is nominated by Obama - he or she will be filibustered and they should be.

They, like you, would call anyone Obama nominates a "Marxist nut job". Hell, they called a health care bill that was almost a carbon copy on the one they proposed 15 years ago a communist plot to destroy the nation and that would hasten the end of the world.

The second-ranking Republican in the Senate suggested on Sunday that the party would filibuster the next appointment to the U.S. Supreme Court, if that nominee were deemed to be outside of the judicial mainstream.

"It will all depend on what kind of a person it is," Sen. Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.) declared during an appearance on "Fox News Sunday." "I think the president should nominate a qualified person. I hope, however, he does not nominate an overly ideological person. That will be the test, and if he doesn't nominate someone who is overly ideological, you may see Republicans voting against, but I don't think you will see them engage in a filibuster."

Given the partisan rancor that has brought the Senate to a standstill much of this past year, the notion that a Supreme Court nominee would be subjected to a filibuster attempt doesn't seem all that dubious. And yet, if successful, it would resemble something of a high-water-mark for the politicization of the Court confirmation process. Robert Bork's nomination, for instance, was not filibustered. It was defeated in the Senate by a vote of 58-42.

Asked whether Republicans would appear hypocritical should they block the next Obama Court nominee after having decried the treatment of Bork and Bush-nominees by Democrats in Congress, Kyl acknowledged that the filibuster was "wrong and it shouldn't be done."Nevertheless, the Arizona Republican still wouldn't rule it out. "I think you would agree that if only one side is permitted to do it -- the Democrats and not the Republicans -- then you have a very unfair system," he said. "I would prefer to go back to the situation where it is not done by either party. But the Democrats won that fight. They filibustered Miguel Estrada."

Jon Kyl: GOP Willing To Filibuster Obama's Next Supreme Court Nominee

So all that jumping up and down demanding an "up-or-down vote" was bullshit. Not that I'm surprised.

Just so happens I was watching that interview so I know that huffingsome post left out a major detail. The above bolded comment was followed by "but I am not for letting democwats be the only party who filibusters. In other words neither should do it but if the dems do it so will the Republican. That's why I like Fox news.. the tell the whole story.. what a bunch of fricking babies you guys are.

Obama will probably pick one of his old Buddies... Van Jones, Reverend Rice or at least an ACLU, America hater.

that's exactly who he will pick,, an old ACLU guy, I don't remember his name but he is oriental and an extreme America hater. Just wait for it.

The second-ranking Republican in the Senate suggested on Sunday that the party would filibuster the next appointment to the U.S. Supreme Court, if that nominee were deemed to be outside of the judicial mainstream.

"It will all depend on what kind of a person it is," Sen. Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.) declared during an appearance on "Fox News Sunday." "I think the president should nominate a qualified person. I hope, however, he does not nominate an overly ideological person. That will be the test, and if he doesn't nominate someone who is overly ideological, you may see Republicans voting against, but I don't think you will see them engage in a filibuster."

Given the partisan rancor that has brought the Senate to a standstill much of this past year, the notion that a Supreme Court nominee would be subjected to a filibuster attempt doesn't seem all that dubious. And yet, if successful, it would resemble something of a high-water-mark for the politicization of the Court confirmation process. Robert Bork's nomination, for instance, was not filibustered. It was defeated in the Senate by a vote of 58-42.

Asked whether Republicans would appear hypocritical should they block the next Obama Court nominee after having decried the treatment of Bork and Bush-nominees by Democrats in Congress, Kyl acknowledged that the filibuster was "wrong and it shouldn't be done."Nevertheless, the Arizona Republican still wouldn't rule it out. "I think you would agree that if only one side is permitted to do it -- the Democrats and not the Republicans -- then you have a very unfair system," he said. "I would prefer to go back to the situation where it is not done by either party. But the Democrats won that fight. They filibustered Miguel Estrada."

So all that jumping up and down demanding an "up-or-down vote" was bullshit. Not that I'm surprised.

Just so happens I was watching that interview so I know that huffingsome post left out a major detail. The above bolded comment was followed by "but I am not for letting democwats be the only party who filibusters. In other words neither should do it but if the dems do it so will the Republican. That's why I like Fox news.. the tell the whole story.. what a bunch of fricking babies you guys are.

That's included in the very article I posted. Also, it's total bullshit. Neither of Bush's nominees to the Supreme Court was filibustered.

If a judge is "outside the judicial mainstream" I expect the Senate to exercise their obligation to stop the appointment.

I agree, but it should be done with an up or down vote. Do you really want this circus going on every single time a vacancy opens on the Supreme Court? This is getting ridiculous.

Then abolish it for both parties.

I wouldn't have a problem with abolishing the filibuster altogether. And lest you think I say that for partisan gain, pick a future date were it takes effect (say, 2020). Neither of us know who will control the Senate then.

(Also, love that I almost typed Sejm instead of Senate. That's a Freudian slip for the ages.)

That's included in the very article I posted. Also, it's total bullshit. Neither of Bush's nominees to the Supreme Court was filibustered.

Indeed it is. I stand corrected. But it is not bullshit. What's good for one party is good for both.

Asked whether Republicans would appear hypocritical should they block the next Obama Court nominee after having decried the treatment of Bork and Bush-nominees by Democrats in Congress, Kyl acknowledged that the filibuster was "wrong and it shouldn't be done."

Nevertheless, the Arizona Republican still wouldn't rule it out. "I think you would agree that if only one side is permitted to do it -- the Democrats and not the Republicans -- then you have a very unfair system," he said. "I would prefer to go back to the situation where it is not done by either party. But the Democrats won that fight. They filibustered Miguel Estrada."

Like the Health Care lawsuits, it wasn't bullshit for the clowns here. The dupes who follow right wing politicians are amazing to watch. Time and time again they are sold shit and told it's gold. They keep on going back for more.

Bush had many nominees filibustered for federal bench positions...

He nominated more than just Roberts and Alito, you dumb fuck...

Indeed it is. I stand corrected. But it is not bullshit. What's good for one party is good for both.

Sure, but that requires ignoring the fact that neither of Bush's nominees were filibustered.

We're discussing Supreme Court appointments. Please try to keep up.

We're discussing Supreme Court appointments. Please try to keep up.

The discussion was surrounding the filibuster of presidential nominations...

In fact, you made references to eliminating the filibuster altogether...

Why would you now want to limit it to SCOTUS noms?

You made more sense when you weren't posting.....

Obama will probably pick one of his old Buddies... Van Jones, Reverend Rice or at least an ACLU, America hater.

that's exactly who he will pick,, an old ACLU guy, I don't remember his name but he is oriental and an extreme America hater. Just wait for it.

Goodwin Liu

Asked whether Republicans would appear hypocritical should they block the next Obama Court nominee after having decried the treatment of Bork and Bush-nominees by Democrats in Congress, Kyl acknowledged that the filibuster was "wrong and it shouldn't be done."

Nevertheless, the Arizona Republican still wouldn't rule it out. "I think you would agree that if only one side is permitted to do it -- the Democrats and not the Republicans -- then you have a very unfair system," he said. "I would prefer to go back to the situation where it is not done by either party. But the Democrats won that fight. They filibustered Miguel Estrada."

They did more than jump up and down---they held press conferences, fed no stop talking points to the media, started astro-turf groups, started political action committees, web sites full of propaganda....

note: I spoofed on for a while.

Forum List

Back