Another Glenn Beck issue

Gatekeeper

Nov 11, 2009
New Jersey
Yahoo News:
"Yet another controversy appears to be brewing around Fox News host Glenn Beck. Some are accusing him of a blatant conflict of interest concerning his frequent on-air promotion of an investment sold by one of his main advertisers: Gold."

Glenn Beck's gold-gate problem - Yahoo! News

Beck and the rest of them seem to always have 'other agendas' don't they.
I always wondered WHY Beck and others on FOX pushed that GOLD purchasing down our throats a 'million' times a day.

I am glad I stopped watching Fox a long while ago.

At least we have a choice as to whether or not we invest in gold, unlike the liberals who are pushing healthcare and cap and trade down our throats to greatly empower and enrich themselves and their cronies. Nothing like having the force of government over people to force them to participate so you can make a buck, huh?

Beck's promotion of gold presents a potential problem for Fox News, which strictly prohibits on-air personalities from making paid product endorsements. When contacted by Daily Finance for a comment on the matter, Fox News senior vice-president for development Joel Cheatwood said the network "makes an exception for its commentators who are also radio hosts," adding that they knew upfront that hiring Beck came with the understanding that he was also a radio host and that they "had to be accepting of certain elements of that." Nevertheless, a Fox spokeswoman said that the company is addressing the matter with Beck's agent, George Hiltzik.

It's not news or new, Fox knew it when they hired him. If it was a conflict they should have addressed it at that time.

Beck needs to own this. It is a problem and he has to stop. I rarely see him on Fox News, but he is on ignore until he makes this right.

I don't see what the big deal is, if he's personally doing commercials for them on his radio show, then obviously he's getting paid to do them. Why would he do them for free? And just because he advertises a certain gold broker doesn't mean that he can't freely speak about his opinions on investing in gold during his show.

From the article:

However, Beck, who responded to the conflict of interest allegations on his show last Thursday by saying "So I shouldn't make money?", isn't devoid of defenders on the matter. Business Insider called the controversy "nonsense," adding "there's nothing wrong with a commentator advising viewers, listeners, or readers to take positions that he is taking himself. In fact, you might wonder about the motivations of someone giving financial advice he wouldn't take himself."

I agree.

At least we have a choice as to whether or not we invest in gold, unlike the liberals who are pushing healthcare and cap and trade down our throats to greatly empower and enrich themselves and their cronies. Nothing like having the force of government over people to force them to participate so you can make a buck, huh?

While you make good points, two wrongs have never equalled a right. Beck needs to sort this issue. I don't always agree with his conclusions as a commentator but factually, he's as accurate as hell.... which is useful for getting factual info... and, as an added value... it annoys the crap outta the left and drives the Obama Administration crazy. :lol::lol:

Yahoo News:
"Yet another controversy appears to be brewing around Fox News host Glenn Beck. Some are accusing him of a blatant conflict of interest concerning his frequent on-air promotion of an investment sold by one of his main advertisers: Gold."

I always wondered WHY Beck and others on FOX pushed that GOLD purchasing down our throats a 'million' times a day.

Oh my.!!! Beck supports fiscal and personal responsibility and planning for the future.
Fuck fuck fuck.
Im trading my Krugerrands for Magic cards.

I don't see what the big deal is, if he's personally doing commercials for them on his radio show, then obviously he's getting paid to do them. Why would he do them for free? And just because he advertises a certain gold broker doesn't mean that he can't freely speak about his opinions on investing in gold during his show.

From the article:

However, Beck, who responded to the conflict of interest allegations on his show last Thursday by saying "So I shouldn't make money?", isn't devoid of defenders on the matter. Business Insider called the controversy "nonsense," adding "there's nothing wrong with a commentator advising viewers, listeners, or readers to take positions that he is taking himself. In fact, you might wonder about the motivations of someone giving financial advice he wouldn't take himself."

I agree.

Newby, when it is a financial product, you are supposed to disclose your relationships to the investment. It is a law to a certain degree and certainly the ethical thing to do. When you place yourself in a position of holding others up to an ethical standard, you need to be beyond reproach.

We as conservatives need to require this of our people.

Last edited:
Yahoo News:

Why didn't you start a thread when Beck dropped his support of GM when they got stimulus money and cut his bottomline by nearly 7 figures ?

From the article:

I agree.

Newby, when it is a financial product, you are supposed to disclose your relationships to the investment. It is a law to a certain degree and certainly the ethical thing to do. When you place yourself in a position of holding others up to an ethical standard, you need to be beyond reproach.

I dont see the conflict or the controversy.
He says " I buy gold as insurance against what may happen.'

I have been doing that since before Beck was on the radar screen .
if you haven't, you are just plain stupid.

Yahoo News:

Why didn't you start a thread when Beck dropped his support of GM when they got stimulus money and cut his bottomline by nearly 7 figures ?

Why didn't I start a thread when Beck dropped his support of GM when they got stimulus money and cut his bottomline by nearly 7 figures ??

Are you a BUTTHEAD or what? You, Fitnah expect any one of the bloggers in USMB to post an unlimited number of LINKS for EVERY event, action or comment that ever was concerning a particular person or event? If your in USMB to just to kick other posters in here, in the ass for something that doesn't fit YOUR views, tough CHIT. Oh, and thanks for the MINUS reputation points. what an _____ you are :cuckoo:

Yahoo News:

Why didn't I start a thread when Beck dropped his support of GM when they got stimulus money and cut his bottomline by nearly 7 figures ??

Are you a BUTTHEAD or what? You, Fitnah expect any one of the bloggers in USMB to post an unlimited number of LINKS for EVERY event, action or comment that ever was concerning a particular person or event? If your in USMB to just to kick other posters in here, in the ass for something that doesn't fit YOUR views, tough CHIT. Oh, and thanks for the MINUS reputation points. what an _____ you are :cuckoo:

It's a good point though. No one noticed when Beck dropped his support of GM - no big deal because he was being honest. I watch Beck, I've never felt he was pushing Gold at me... but then, I invest in gold anyway - most smart people do in a recession! LOL. If he was peddling snake oil.... like our politicians with their healthcare bill, then I would criticize the guy. As far as I am concerned, I am grown up enough to make up my own mind about what investments I make - I don't rely on some guy on tv to tell me.

However..... interesting, is it not, that our politicians want us all to have this fabulous healthcare.... but they don't actually want it for themselves. Hmmmmm.... remind me again, who it is I am supposed to trust. The guy who tells me that HE invests in gold or the politicians who tell me I have to have their healthcare but they don't.

From the article:

I agree.

I still don't see your issue. He has said that he invests in it himself. You would make the assumption that he wouldn't use the broker that advertises on his show to do investing? I haven't personally seen the commercials, or heard them, but I don't see a conflict of interest here. Anyone is capable of doing their homework on investments and deciding what is advanatageous for their personal situation, he isn't forcing anyone to do anything. I would assume that during his commercial he probably says that he invests in gold himself, I know I've heard him say so when he's not doing a commercial, so there's nothing to disclose here.

Tell me, does anyone see a conflict of interest whenever Daddy Warmbucks, Al Gore, keeps promoting global warming and defending faulty science whenever he has millions invested in the carbon credit trading business, and stands to make millions or even billions more off of it if that faulty science is used to force capping of carbon? Yeah, no conflict of interest there, right? :cuckoo:

I cant for the life of me figure out why you are trying to manufacture this into some sort of issue. Is there anyone in the world who doesnt know when his show sponsor is paying him? Does anyone honestly believe he is somehow advertising for gold for free?

The entire alleged scandal is based on the idea that you are too stupid to realize that sponsors pay to advertise on shows. I understand that some of you on the left may not understand this simple concept. But most ordinary people realize that advertisements are paid for. Is it really Glenn's fault that you're a bunch of morons?

Are you honestly claiming that you dont know that when Glenn or anyone else says that Goldline is a sponsor that it means they are being paid by them?

Are you honestly claiming that you dont know that when Glenn or anyone else says that Goldline is a sponsor that it means they are being paid by them?

I am going to claim two things here Avatar.

1. Glenn claims the moral high ground in most cases. You need to be as ethical as possible to avoid situations like this one.

2. I personally do not know who sponsors Beck's program. I seem to have a knack for coming across him in mid-program.

I see we are attacking fellow conservatives, if we don't tow the talking points now. More fodder for the libs, good job.

1. Glenn claims the moral high ground in most cases. You need to be as ethical as possible to avoid situations like this one.

2. I personally do not know who sponsors Beck's program. I seem to have a knack for coming across him in mid-program.

I see we are attacking fellow conservatives, if we don't tow the talking points now. More fodder for the libs, good job.

Nobody is attacking you, they are disagreeing with you. As to your first point, I and others on this thread have stated that it is our opinion that he has not done anything unethical. What exactly are you saying that he has done that is unethical, especially when you make point two that you do not know who sponsors his programs? Wouldn't you need to know in order to assert that he is being unethical? A 'sponsor' for a show is someone who is paying the show in order to advertise, that is a given fact. Beck has a personal opinion that gold is a good investment, and he has spoken to this and the fact that he, himself, invests in it. He also has gold brokers that sponsor his program, i.e. are paying his show to advertise their product. I see no conflict of interest here at all, if you do, then that's your perogative of course, but my opinion has nothing to do with 'talking points'. Do yours?

I wanted to contact Glenn Beck a while back. In order to do that you have to sign up for Glenn's email program. Now I get daily messages from him on wahtever he wants to talk about that day. Not quite, but about 40% of what comes through is promotional things about his Christmas show, new book or other Beck products. For someone so issue driven, it is truly amazing how self promotional he is.

Does he have the right to do that? Sure. I would probably have a tab to click on for promotional items, but that is me. Keeping the message clear and honest is the most important in my mind. My "talking points" come from topics brought up by you folks and what I see in news articles on Yahoo or MSN. Sometimes from HLN or NBC news.

Beck endorses a product he beleives in
What higher moral ground does he need ?

Forum List

Back