Another family friendly pit bull story

I understand peoples feelings towards pit bulls...but I really do think that it still is a question of how you raise your dog.

The only dogs I've ever been around that bit were: a miniature schnauzer, a standard poodle, and a shi-tzu...not the big scary dogs...

My roommates in college had a pit bull/boxer mix (both listed as "likely to bit" dogs) and he was an angel...every pet pit bull I've had the pleasure of meeting has been great.

That being said...I think if you're going to get a dog, you need to know about its personality and breeding background.

The most incredible, wonderful, loving, awesome dog I ever had was my Doberman Pincher, who died this May. He was the biggest baby I have ever seen. 110-lb red dobie who was afraid of the dark...he slept under the covers with his nose tucked under a pillow.

Still...

Dobermans are a strong-willed breed. They require an owner who is willing to take the time to train them and to establish themselves firmly as the Alpha in the pack. My wonderful dobie (and my new dobie puppy) constantly tested the rules...and then would need to be reminded of their place in the pack.

That being said, my Dobie was wonderful with my nieces and friend's babies...and I would have had no concerns about bringing a baby into the family with him there.

Some dogs require a firmer hand than others - you might be able to let a beagle run wild without setting rules and guidelines about their behavior...but with dobermans, and I'd imagine pit bulls as well...they need to know who is boss or bad things happen.

But that isn't the breeds fault...again, the responsibility lies with the owner.

The factor you ignore is how the dogs have been bred.

how a dog is bred does not mandate how a dog will behave in aggression. What does the difference between how your kid is raised versus a holy terror say about toddlers in general?

how a dog is bred does not mandate how a dog will behave in aggression. What does the difference between how your kid is raised versus a holy terror say about toddlers in general?

Hmmmm? Seems you were arguing the opposite side in the homosexual thread. :eusa_whistle:

So gayness is all nature and savage pit bulls is all nurture huh? Consistency sure is a bitch ain't it?

I understand peoples feelings towards pit bulls...but I really do think that it still is a question of how you raise your dog.

<snip>

But that isn't the breeds fault...again, the responsibility lies with the owner.

I agree that how a dog is raised matters. Only an idiot would think it doesn't. But likewise, only an idiot would think it's the ONLY thing that matters. Pit bulls were bred for thousands of generations for one specific purpose, and I assure you, it wasn't to babysit your kids. Ignoring that makes one...well, ignorant.

And there are dogs that were bread to hunt lions, and bears, and protect property...and they all have been able to become domesticated pets.

A breed may not have been bred to babysit someone's children...but that does not mean that they can not be a family pet.

Again - it is the job of the adult HUMAN to care for their family, train their dog to be obedient and....and the rule is the same if you have a golden retriever or a pit bull....

don't put your dog - who is just an animal - in a position where it might feel the need to bite...and then be suprised when it does.

Hmmmm? Seems you were arguing the opposite side in the homosexual thread. :eusa_whistle:

So gayness is all nature and savage pit bulls is all nurture huh? Consistency sure is a bitch ain't it?

Indeed, sexuality is nature and BEHAVIOUR is nurture. Im glad I could clear that up for you.

I agree that how a dog is raised matters. Only an idiot would think it doesn't. But likewise, only an idiot would think it's the ONLY thing that matters. Pit bulls were bred for thousands of generations for one specific purpose, and I assure you, it wasn't to babysit your kids. Ignoring that makes one...well, ignorant.

and yet I can post evidence of pit bulls doing just the thing you think can t happen. MUST a lab love to swim, mani? MUST beagle love to hunt? Just say the word and I'll show you plenty of benign pits loving the hell out of kids.

And there are dogs that were bread to hunt lions, and bears, and protect property...and they all have been able to become domesticated pets.

A breed may not have been bred to babysit someone's children...but that does not mean that they can not be a family pet.

Again - it is the job of the adult HUMAN to care for their family, train their dog to be obedient and....and the rule is the same if you have a golden retriever or a pit bull....

don't put your dog - who is just an animal - in a position where it might feel the need to bite...and then be suprised when it does.

The bottom line is this: All else equal (ie. "upbringing" variables), if you choose a pit bull as your family pet you are assuming a far greater risk than with virtually any other breed. Period. To deny this fact is to...well, be in denial.

and yet I can post evidence of pit bulls doing just the thing you think can t happen. MUST a lab love to swim, mani? MUST beagle love to hunt? Just say the word and I'll show you plenty of benign pits loving the hell out of kids.

And Charlie Bass will show you cured gays. Exceptions prove what again? Oh yeah, that general rules are not absolute. Wow, way to go smart guy. :clap2:

Oh, so you agree with Bass, homosexual BEHAVIOUR can be cured. Got it.

sexuality is instinctual. Behaviour itself can be molded. Gay priests are still gay even if they modify their behaviour. You can't win on this tangent. Aggressive BEHAVIOUR is not an instinct.

The bottom line is this: All else equal (ie. "upbringing" variables), if you choose a pit bull as your family pet you are assuming a far greater risk than with virtually any other breed. Period. To deny this fact is to...well, be in denial.

thats ridiculous. This is why you refuse to even remotely bring up how aggressive dogs were brought up when we don't see benign pit bulls just fucking snapping all of a sudden one day.

SoggyBritches said:
Aggressive BEHAVIOUR is not an instinct.

Where'd you come up with this bullshit? :cuckoo:

I guess alligators must go to special aggression training or something in Soggy's fantasyland. :rofl:

And Charlie Bass will show you cured gays. Exceptions prove what again? Oh yeah, that general rules are not absolute. Wow, way to go smart guy. :clap2:

again, sexuality is an instinct not merely behaviour. with as much conditioning as necessary I can make you suck a dick and LIKE it. But that won't make you inherently gay.

thats ridiculous. This is why you refuse to even remotely bring up how aggressive dogs were brought up when we don't see benign pit bulls just fucking snapping all of a sudden one day.

I guess you missed the part where I said upbringing matters. Funny that you missed it since you quoted it. Proving once again that you don't really consider the points of others but rather go to town on whatever brilliance you're going to offer up next. :doubt:

I have one simple question for the pit bull defenders:

Is it your belief that in all cases, every behavioral predisposition resident in the pit bull breed can be completely suppressed with the proper upbringing?

Last edited:
in all honesty it is too bad that the owner of the pits that attacked my neighbor and me had to be stupid idiots.

but since cites are full of stupid idiots...

pit bulls cannot be safely kept.

b/s i have a lot of friends with american stafford terriers....not pit bulls....

pit bulls are mutts...not pure breed dogs.....i do not want to see a dangerousl dog list either....as the owner of a doberman...

I have one simple question for the pit bull defenders:

Is it your belief that in all cases, every behavioral predisposition resident in the pit bull breed can be completely suppressed with the proper upbringing?

if an owner does not allow any aggression towards people and fixes the males and females....you can overcome most of the agressive tendancies. I do not allow my dogs to show any aggressiveness against people....but they are also watch dogs.

the problem with pits is that most dogs ...need to be trained to bite or attack..they dont...people get more than one of them and allow them to revert to pack behavior that is where the problems come in. plus i see idiots with large dogs on leashes in public....if you cannot control you dog on a leash then you have no right to bring that dog into the public. When I take my dobbie in public...i make sure the leash is on my hand and tightened. I am no fool.a 94 lb dobbie is gonna move fast...and i have to be ready.

Forum List

Back