Another Example of Why The UN's Time Is Past

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060205...zFSw60A;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl
U.N. Diplomats Differ Over Iran Issue

By NICK WADHAMS, Associated Press Writer 53 minutes ago

Now that the U.N. atomic watchdog agency has agreed to report Iran to the Security Council, diplomats have vastly different notions about how the body should be involved in negotiations to make sure Iran is not trying to develop a nuclear weapon.

The five permanent council members are split, with the United States, Britain and France hoping to pressure Iran into backing down with the ultimate threat of sanctions.

However, China and Russia do not want to incite Tehran and would prefer that the council play a limited role. The Iranian allies want the International Atomic Energy Agency to keep the lead in handling Iran.

The Iranian government on Sunday ended all voluntary cooperation with the IAEA, saying it would start uranium enrichment and reject surprise inspections of its facilities. Uranium enriched to a low degree can be used for nuclear reactors, while highly enriched uranium is suitable for warheads.

However, in an apparent reversal, Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi said the government was open to negotiations on Moscow's proposal that Iran shift its plan for large-scale enrichment to Russian territory in an effort to allay suspicions. A day earlier, an Iran representative at the IAEA meeting said that proposal was "dead..."

Iraq in 2002 anyone?

If U.N. is put to rest, do you see an alternative organisation, or do you find the whole idea of an organisation like that impossible?

I just don't want to see all nations devolving into the evils of nationalism. :funnyface :D

Just a guy said:
If U.N. is put to rest, do you see an alternative organisation, or do you find the whole idea of an organisation like that impossible?

Possibly if the member countries all had a common goal and pursued it honestly.

Yeah, I know it's sort of far-fetched... but still, one would like to see some sort of... U.N. - like organisation? It feels kind of sad thinking that we (the humas) can't act together in case of disasters and conflicts.

Just a guy said:
Yeah, I know it's sort of far-fetched... but still, one would like to see some sort of... U.N. - like organisation? It feels kind of sad thinking that we (the humas) can't act together in case of disasters and conflicts.

Sometimes humans have been amazingly cooperative is helping each other in need. Don't condemn the whole race because one organization was corrupted.

Just a guy said:
Okay, but can't there be an alternative then? A sort of un-corrupted U.N.?

I can see the headlines "New and Improved Ultra-UN."

Sure there can be an alternative, but it'd just be a cheap genaric knock off.

Said1 said:
I can see the headlines "New and Improved Ultra-UN."

Sure there can be an alternative, but it'd just be a cheap genaric knock off.

The same shitty product, for LESS!

Just a guy said:
Okay, but can't there be an alternative then? A sort of un-corrupted U.N.?

Anything like the UN (or League of Nations, its predecessor) is totally useless without out the means to enforce it's resolutions. Otherwise, it becomes nothing more than an international debate club (which is what the UN has become of late).

Idealistically, I suppose something like an uncorrupt UN could exist. Realistically, I don't think such an institution could ever be founded and maintained.

okay, but remeber that many nations have put alot of money and personel into that organisation. I think the will to do good is there. Even if U.N. has outlived itself.

Just a guy said:
okay, but remeber that many nations have put alot of money and personel into that organisation. I think the will to do good is there. Even if U.N. has outlived itself.

Wouldn't you say many of those nations have been compensated nicely through the oil for food program?

Just a guy said:

When member nations begin the use the UN for thier own personal gain and forget the purpose of it's creation, it's doomed. CSM is right. With no power to enforce anything its a paper tiger.

I see the logic here, but I still feel bad about it. Your future spells everyone for themselves. I don't like that idea at all.

Just a guy said:
I see the logic here, but I still feel bad about it. Your future spells everyone for themselves. I don't like that idea at all.
Let me guess...you are European.

Just a guy said:

Countries can still choose to get along peacably. There will be coalitions of the willing on an issue by issue basis. Let's get off the lie that there can ever be an unbiased world government.

Forum List

Back