Another Example Of A School's "Non-Concern" About Racism

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
City education officials are investigating the claims of a pair of boys from Oklahoma who moved to Brooklyn to experience diversity, and instead say they got schooled in racism and violence.

Mom Lisa Brown, 33, told the Daily News she relocated her family from their small Oklahoma town so her husband, a Brooklyn native and social worker, could more easily find work and her sons could experience different people and ways of life.

Brown enrolled her sons, Sloan, 12, and J.T., 13, at Ebbets Field Middle School in Crown Heights. But when the boys, who are white, showed up, their mom said, they got a chilling indication of what was to come.

"Oh my gosh, we are going to have fun this year," a security guard muttered, according to Brown.

Things quickly got worse.

Sloan was beaten mercilessly, called "cracker" and "white boy," and chased into traffic by his new classmates, his family said.

The abuse got so bad that Sloan routinely bolted out of the building to find his brother and run to a nearby subway, dodging verbal and physical attacks, he said.

"It almost makes me cry," Sloan said. "I'm scared to go back."

The brothers skipped school all last week while their parents tried to sort out the mess.

"Do I have to send the National Guard in to get my children an education?" asked the distraught mom.

When Brown tried to alert Principal Marge Baker to the abuse, "the principal refused to take the calls," she charged.

Brown filed several police reports at the 71st Precinct stationhouse about the alleged abuse, but said she was ignored.

Police sources said precinct cops did take the incident seriously but believe school staff are in a better position to deal with what appeared to be a series of schoolyard fights and bullying.

The boys' stepfather, Ken Brown, requested a transfer for the boys on Sept. 28, but Education Department officials noted he can't seek the change because he is not a custodial parent.

Eventually, the fedup mom went to nearby Elijah Stroud Middle School to transfer her sons there, but said the principal told her: "They'll have the same problem here."

Education officials promised to help the Browns - after being contacted by The News.

"The principal was not sufficiently attentive to this situation," the Education Department said in a statement. "Upon learning of the situation, the region is taking immediate action to arrange a transfer for these children.

"We will fully investigate what happened, including whether racist statements, which are not tolerated, were made and take appropriate action."

Brown said the Education Department called her several times over the weekend, after The News made queries, pledging to get the kids into Elijah Stroud and chastising her for calling in the press.

Despite the principal's warning, Lisa agreed to send her boys to Elijah Stroud tomorrow.

"I'll make sure my kids are safe because it is the school system's job to make sure they are," she said.

For Sloan and J.T., escaping Ebbets Field Middle School will be a relief. The school opened in September as one of the city's many new small schools, with plans to "become the crown jewel" of Crown Heights, according to the Education Department Web site.

The Browns said their ethnically and racially diverse neighbors in Prospect Heights have embraced them, and they thought New York was "the greatest place on Earth" - until they started battling the school system.

"I was excited to expose my children to a complete variety of people," Lisa Brown said. "I thought it would be an advantage. I always told my children that children could be cruel - but not to this extent."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/354239p-302014c.html

---

The obvious question, of course, is...."what if they were black?"

Sending white kids to Brooklyn to "experience diversity" is like sending kids from Brooklyn to the back mountains of North Carolina for the same purpose.

The school opened in September as one of the city's many new small schools, with plans to "become the crown jewel" of Crown Heights, according to the Education Department Web site.

What do they consider a small school?? I would say a small school is 80-100 kids per grade and with that many kids they should darn well be able to keep track of the trouble makers and control bullying. That is if the school system cares.

It just makes me mad to read this kind of thing and know that if things were reversed the news would be all over it shouting racism.

We are suprised why? Black leaders dont care because they consider this retribution for the many years they had to endure the same treatment in schools. Two wrongs dont make a right and it shows the maturity of the so called "civil rights" movement for not stepping up to the plate on this one.

I hope this mom got her lesson in racial relations though. Its all good for white people to treat blacks with respect now, but to expect recipricol relations is asking too much.

insein said:
We are suprised why? Black leaders dont care because they consider this retribution for the many years they had to endure the same treatment in schools. Two wrongs dont make a right and it shows the maturity of the so called "civil rights" movement for not stepping up to the plate on this one.

I hope this mom got her lesson in racial relations though. Its all good for white people to treat blacks with respect now, but to expect recipricol relations is asking too much.

You can't extrapolate the actions of a brooklyn school to all blacks. As I said, it'd be like sending a black kid to the appalachians somewhere. If you live in Oklahoma and decide to send your kids to Brooklyn for schools, I'd submit you're trying to accomplish more than a little innocent cultural exposure.

As for the civil rights movement, I agree they've gotten lazy since the departing of MLK. While MLK was asking for equality, he was adamant about being educated and working hard. The focus has slipped away from the educated hard working park and is almost entirely on "equality." And when there's no hard work, equality means "I want what you have but don't want to do what you had to do to get it."

So I agree with what you're saying, but this woman should just come right out and say she sent her kids to that Brooklyn school to make a point, not to experience culture. It's disingenuous.

The ClayTaurus said:
You can't extrapolate the actions of a brooklyn school to all blacks. As I said, it'd be like sending a black kid to the appalachians somewhere. If you live in Oklahoma and decide to send your kids to Brooklyn for schools, I'd submit you're trying to accomplish more than a little innocent cultural exposure.

As for the civil rights movement, I agree they've gotten lazy since the departing of MLK. While MLK was asking for equality, he was adamant about being educated and working hard. The focus has slipped away from the educated hard working park and is almost entirely on "equality." And when there's no hard work, equality means "I want what you have but don't want to do what you had to do to get it."

So I agree with what you're saying, but this woman should just come right out and say she sent her kids to that Brooklyn school to make a point, not to experience culture. It's disingenuous.

What point is that?

GotZoom said:
What point is that?

The point that's come out, that the racism in that school and other predominantly African American schools is absurd. I'm all for making that point, but don't tickle my ass with words like "cultural exposure," I don't swing that way.

I doubt she used her own kids as guinea pigs to make a point. But she would have to be pretty naive to think this was going to be the diversity paradise she was dreaming of.

The ClayTaurus said:
The point that's come out, that the racism in that school and other predominantly African American schools is absurd. I'm all for making that point, but don't tickle my ass with words like "cultural exposure," I don't swing that way.

So she moved her family from Oklahoma to Brooklyn, just to help prove that racism in a preominantly African American school is absurd.

So the part of the article that states:

The ClayTaurus said:
Mom Lisa Brown, 33, told the Daily News she relocated her family from their small Oklahoma town so her husband, a Brooklyn native and social worker, could more easily find work and her sons could experience different people and ways of life.

is a lie?

GotZoom said:
So she moved her family from Oklahoma to Brooklyn, just to help prove that racism in a preominantly African American school is absurd.

So the part of the article that states:

is a lie?

I have a hard time believing she was that naive, but perhaps she was.

And perhaps I'm conspiracy theorizing a bit too much. Point taken, argument withdrawn.

The ClayTaurus said:
I have a hard time believing she was that naive, but perhaps she was.

And perhaps I'm conspiracy theorizing a bit to much. Point taken, argument withdrawn.

Clay, if it's not too personal a question, are you a Democrat?

It's always amusing to see Reality intrude on Liberals' naive perceptions of the world. I genuinely do believe that yes, the mother WAS that naive.

I'm going to say more irresponsible than anything else. Any responsible parent who considers a move looks at crime rate, property values, school district, etc., before they move.

I think her heart was in the right place. Wanting to give her children experience with different people and diffeent ways of life is very admirable.

She should have done some more research before moving.

GotZoom said:
I'm going to say more irresponsible than anything else. Any responsible parent who considers a move looks at crime rate, property values, school district, etc., before they move.

I think her heart was in the right place. Wanting to give her children experience with different people and diffeent ways of life is very admirable.

She should have done some more research before moving.

Ditto.

Forum List

Back