Another Educational Bone to Chew On

Granny

Gold Member
Dec 14, 2009
Rocky Top, TN
I've been listening to this the last day or two. The Texas Board of Education is in a heated debate with teachers over whether a new Social Studies textbook should be published. Said book will make no mention whatsoever about the Founding Fathers, the Constitution or anything else that has had anything to do with our government.

I believe I'd be grabbin' my sidearm if I were involved in this debate.

I've been listening to this the last day or two. The Texas Board of Education is in a heated debate with teachers over whether a new Social Studies textbook should be published. Said book will make no mention whatsoever about the Founding Fathers, the Constitution or anything else that has had anything to do with our government.

Who cares as long as they don't bring up Evolution or Global Warming

Should it be published? Only if you believe in the First Amendment.

Should it be adopted for use by the school? Depends. What is the nature of the course? It if doesn't mention the FF, will it be covered in Civics/History?

Now put the gun down, you stupid old hag, before you get tazed.

I heard the rabble rousers on Fox trying to make the issue that A. Texas Chooses The Nation's Textbooks since they buy so many (more than CA? more than NY?) and, B. They may choose a History text that doesn't begin until 1876 because kids could relate better to more of the modern issues addressed antebellum.

As an Engineer, I consider formal courses in History a little silly. The study of History is an advocation, not a profession, not a vocation. History is in the same category as other hobbies; Art, Music, Physical Ed, Theatre.......French.

All of these can be learned voluntarily OUTSIDE the Public School Classroom, on your own time.

So-what does it really matter if Schools decide that they'll teach History after 1976, or after 1876, or after 1776, or after 1676? If you wanna know about the Civil War, read a fucking book about the Civil War! Google "American Civil War!"

I agree to have an opinion we need to know what kind of class it is. Social studies could be anything from American History and/or Civics to Geography, Psychology, Economics or World History and the various forms of government.

Unless it is American History covering the Colonial period and the Founding, or a Civics course that covers Constitutional history and the various theories of interpretation, why would the Constitution or its Framers be included?

I'd also like to know who is making what claims. There are so many misinformation campaigns out there right now, it's good to know who's saying it so the story can be tracked down.

Forum List

Back