Another difference between Liberals & Conservatives

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
It's iteresting sometimes to sit back an observe the turf war between competing political philosposhies as they battle for our hearts and minds, and especially the territory they control. While there is such a thing as going too far and exceptions notwithstanding, I've generally observed the following: Liberals can more or less be as bigoted as they like with impunity, but if a conservative levies even the slightest criticism on anyone the liberals have identified as protected he is an intolerant bigot. Half of you know this to be true and the other half denies it vehemently and labels me a bigot for pointing it out. Conversely, conservatives can shit all over this country, it's CIC and it's military with impunity, but if a liberal expresses even the slightest disapproval of this country, it's policies, the CIC or any military action, he is unAmerican and unpatriotic.

And we all buy it. Well, at least half of it anyway.

DISCLAIMER: I am using the terms liberal and conservative in accordance with my general understanding of common, contemporary usage, not as I would define them if it were up to me. To me, liberal is the opposite of authoritarian and conservative is the opposite of progressive. That's why I label myself the oxymoronic liberal-conservative. As best as I can estimate contemporarily speaking, liberals are authoritarian-progressive and conservatives are authoritarian-conservative. They are both authoritarian, they just prioritize differently.

It's iteresting sometimes to sit back an observe the turf war between competing political philosposhies as they battle for our hearts and minds, and especially the territory they control. While there is such a thing as going too far and exceptions notwithstanding, I've generally observed the following: Liberals can more or less be as bigoted as they like with impunity, but if a conservative levies even the slightest criticism on anyone the liberals have identified as protected he is an intolerant bigot. Half of you know this to be true and the other half denies it vehemently and labels me a bigot for pointing it out. Conversely, conservatives can shit all over this country, it's CIC and it's military with impunity, but if a liberal expresses even the slightest disapproval of this country, it's policies, the CIC or any military action, he is unAmerican and unpatriotic.

DISCLAIMER: I am using the terms liberal and conservative in accordance with my general understanding of common, contemporary usage, not as I would define them if it were up to me. To me, liberal is the opposite of authoritarian and conservative is the opposite of progressive. That's why I label myself the oxymoronic liberal-conservative. As best as I can estimate contemporarily speaking, liberals are authoritarian-progressive and conservatives are authoritarian-conservative. They are both authoritarian, they just prioritize differently.

Sorry, I don't see the equivalence, as liberals are usually childlike in their faith in things just working out. Some thoughts on libs:

1. A Liberals axiom is that harmony is natural, a misreading of human nature. It should be remembered that when Woodrow Wilson asked Georges Clemenceau, prime minister of France, “Don’t you believe that all men are brothers,” Clemenceau replied “Yes- Cain and Abel.” The result of this belief is that country’s defenses are lowered by liberals, as represented by the Church Committee hearings, the Pike committee, the Torricelli Amendments, all of which tied the hands of the intelligence community, and made it necessary for the Bush Administration to use enhanced interrogation methods. And, of course, the liberal community raged that we were not treating terrorists like our brothers. To gain an understanding of human nature, consider reading The Naked Ape, by Desmond Morris.

2. Liberals believe that political philosophy should inform economic policy. So we saw the Community Reinvestment Act, and GRE’s such as Fannie and Freddie, which put pressure on lending institutions to give loans with less stringent requirements.

3. Another liberal axiom is that everyone will behave, not in their own best interests, but in the best interests of society, as in “from each according to their ability, to each according to their needs.” We see this false posit of the way people act in the Employee Free Choice Act, where we are expected to assume that there will not be pressure and intimidation if we do away with the secret ballot.

4. Liberals always see utopia as an attainable goal. At the heart of the philosophy is the view that the supposedly unique wisdom of government officials should be trusted to plan the lives of the people. The term “politburo” seems fitting here. In fact, for many American Liberals, Western Europe has been nothing less than an abstract symbol of progressive utopia. “Liberals seek utopia but reap dystopia.”

5. Liberals hunt for reasons to be insulted the way pigs hunt for truffles. Once they find a satisfactory mote in this category, they feel that it is entirely appropriate for then to use, not logic, facts, nor accepted debating techniques, but ad hominem attacks on the physical appearance, personal history, or imaginary mental defects.

6. For liberals, feeling passes for knowing. We see this in the oft-repeated claim that the use of “torture” techniques has been a recruiting tool for Al Qaeda. Where is the proof of this claim?For liberals, taking guns away from lawful citizens is tantamount to solving the crime problem. Where is the proof?

as a liberal....i dont find anything you have said insulting or untrue....democrats like to come off as pollyanna's in blue jeans while robbing the candy from the babies....republicans like to come on as high and mighty moral and just...while just robbing everyone...

on here i am amazed at the people who claim to be moral and yet their posts reflect a total immorality..
they claim to live by the word of their bible yet spew hate and venom. all religions are guilty of this mindset and people today..have made poltical parties a religion...referring to the president as "the messiah" shameful

as a liberal....i dont find anything you have said insulting or untrue....democrats like to come off as pollyanna's in blue jeans while robbing the candy from the babies....republicans like to come on as high and mighty moral and just...while just robbing everyone...

on here i am amazed at the people who claim to be moral and yet their posts reflect a total immorality..
they claim to live by the word of their bible yet spew hate and venom. all religions are guilty of this mindset and people today..have made poltical parties a religion...referring to the president as "the messiah" shameful
You are right on there strollingbones as far as so many spewing hate and so many complicit in theft. I don't think that can be drawn down paty lines except for in places like these forums, politics and news media.

The "president as the messiah" bs shows that people have a hard time going beyond the pitfalls of the flesh and I have this question when I hear that phrase, "Do they really believe in Jesus as their personal savior or did they get on the bandwagon of this political corruption for a free ride on His shirt tail?" It is irritating.

Another irritating thing is the slam that non believers make to try to twist their own view point, "That ain't very Christian of you." I don't recall Jesus ever giving authority to non believers to determine what believers should act like. Non believers seem to think or try to push it off that Jesus was all roses and sunshine never saying anything that would offend anyone. That is far from the truth. He offended the shit out of pharisees and sadducees. He turn the money changers tables over, switched them and threw them out of the temple. He pissed them off so bad they cheered for Him to be crucified.

So it all comes down to who is the biggest hypocrite. Is it the ones who say they are believers or the non believers who claimed to know how believers should act?

Another difference (for the most part)... For a conservative, a crime or something done immorally is criticized no matter what the party affiliation... For liberals it's only a crime or immoral if it's a conservative or a Republican doing it.... If it's a liberal that gets caught it's either no big deal, or simply not acknowledged...

That was an excellent post!!!!!!!!! You get the high five for today. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

The Miss America contest is the one I can point to that's recent. Because this lady stated that she believed marraige to be between a man and a woman, she was totally trashed by the judge who asked her the question and by our liberal media. Had a conservative done the same thing, they would have been run out of town after they were tarred and feathered, or better yet they would have WATER-BOARDED them.

Anyone claiming that liberals are hypocrites and conservatives not (or vice versa) is blind as a bat.

the inconsistencies and hypocricies of the uber liberals and uber conservatives are pretty bleedin obvious to we radically stuck in the middle of this pissing match.

A pox on both your houses, you dimwitted partisan numbskulls.

While you jerks are squabbling about which of you have the higher moral ground the masters you both take your thought bites from are stealing the farm.

Wake up.

It's iteresting sometimes to sit back an observe the turf war between competing political philosposhies as they battle for our hearts and minds, and especially the territory they control. While there is such a thing as going too far and exceptions notwithstanding, I've generally observed the following: Liberals can more or less be as bigoted as they like with impunity, but if a conservative levies even the slightest criticism on anyone the liberals have identified as protected he is an intolerant bigot.

We must watch different news. As just one example, during the election I saw Wright being constantly criticized as being a racist and a bigot for his statements.

• Banned
It's iteresting sometimes to sit back an observe the turf war between competing political philosposhies as they battle for our hearts and minds, and especially the territory they control. While there is such a thing as going too far and exceptions notwithstanding, I've generally observed the following: Liberals can more or less be as bigoted as they like with impunity, but if a conservative levies even the slightest criticism on anyone the liberals have identified as protected he is an intolerant bigot.

We must watch different news. As just one example, during the election I saw Wright being constantly criticized as being a racist and a bigot for his statements.

I repeat

manifold said:
there is such a thing as going too far and exceptions notwithstanding

Sorry, I don't see the equivalence, as liberals are usually childlike in their faith in things just working out. Some thoughts on libs:

1. A Liberals axiom is that harmony is natural, a misreading of human nature. It should be remembered that when Woodrow Wilson asked Georges Clemenceau, prime minister of France, “Don’t you believe that all men are brothers,” Clemenceau replied “Yes- Cain and Abel.” The result of this belief is that country’s defenses are lowered by liberals, as represented by the Church Committee hearings, the Pike committee, the Torricelli Amendments, all of which tied the hands of the intelligence community, and made it necessary for the Bush Administration to use enhanced interrogation methods. And, of course, the liberal community raged that we were not treating terrorists like our brothers. To gain an understanding of human nature, consider reading The Naked Ape, by Desmond Morris.

And conservative follow their paranoid inclination to start unnecessary wars like Iraq.

2. Liberals believe that political philosophy should inform economic policy. So we saw the Community Reinvestment Act, and GRE’s such as Fannie and Freddie, which put pressure on lending institutions to give loans with less stringent requirements.

And conservatives believe in their political philosophy that tax cuts are good no matter what even in the evidence of $11 trillion in debt.

3. Another liberal axiom is that everyone will behave, not in their own best interests, but in the best interests of society, as in “from each according to their ability, to each according to their needs.” We see this false posit of the way people act in the Employee Free Choice Act, where we are expected to assume that there will not be pressure and intimidation if we do away with the secret ballot.

And conservatives believe that each person should sink or swim on their own and if they sink that is their problem.

4. Liberals always see utopia as an attainable goal. At the heart of the philosophy is the view that the supposedly unique wisdom of government officials should be trusted to plan the lives of the people. The term “politburo” seems fitting here. In fact, for many American Liberals, Western Europe has been nothing less than an abstract symbol of progressive utopia. “Liberals seek utopia but reap dystopia.”

Conservatives see a Christian state as utopia.

5. Liberals hunt for reasons to be insulted the way pigs hunt for truffles. Once they find a satisfactory mote in this category, they feel that it is entirely appropriate for then to use, not logic, facts, nor accepted debating techniques, but ad hominem attacks on the physical appearance, personal history, or imaginary mental defects.

Conservative have "tea parties" to whine about how at 35% income tax and 15% investment tax they are "overtaxed."

As far as facts versus ad hom attacks, PC, I'll invite you to inspect a few threads I've been in then ask you to defend your generalization. Folks like Divecon and Publius and others are hardly liberal but have constantly spewed ad hom attacks.

Are you sincerely being objective here? If you really want to defend that position, let's look at a few recent threads, OK?

6. For liberals, feeling passes for knowing. We see this in the oft-repeated claim that the use of “torture” techniques has been a recruiting tool for Al Qaeda. Where is the proof of this claim?For liberals, taking guns away from lawful citizens is tantamount to solving the crime problem. Where is the proof?

Same as above. Liberalis like me have pointed to laws and WWII prosecutions as evidence it is torture. Conservatives have argued "feelings" that water torture is only "stress" and mild discomfort.

Again, we can look at threads if you want.

See, both sides can make overbroad, gross generalization stereotyping the other side for the exact same things, can't they?

This kind of blatant, partisan generalization is beneath the quality of most of the argument I see you take, PC.

Editec is absolutely right. Both parties have their hypocrites and partisans. To claim that only one said is irrational or acts on feeling is just proof of it.

Last edited:

I read a story the other day about how poor people in California pick fruit from people's trees if they hang over their fences.

How many Republicans would SCREAM get off my lawn! Even though they pretend to be Christians.

9 "When you harvest your crops, do not harvest the grain along the edges of your fields, and do not pick up what the harvesters drop.

10 It is the same with your grape crop--do not strip every last bunch of grapes from the vines, and do not pick up the grapes that fall to the ground. Leave them for the poor and the foreigners who live among you, for I, the LORD, am your God.

but let the land rest and lie fallow during the seventh year. Then let the poor among you harvest any volunteer crop that may come up. Leave the rest for the animals to eat. The same applies to your vineyards and olive groves.

And it was baseless criticism, from both sides. He didn't say one damned thing that was not historically correct, not one.

Your personal definitions have some scholarly support. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2009/04/conservatives-live-different-moral-universe8212and-heres-why-it-matters

I think the big difference is that liberals are a bunch of idiots, and conservatives are a bunch of assholes.

[/broad groundless generalizations]

LOL.

Yeah, but they change.

Sometimes liberals can be assholes and conservative can be idiots.

In fact, many of the brighter ones of both teams can multi-task such that they can be idiotic assholes or assholic idiots.

Kinda makes ya' proud to be human, doesn't it?

Your disclaimer is right-on (no pun intended). Ever since I became interested in politics, I've maintained that for the greatest number of Americans there's a little conservatism and a little liberalism in us all.

I read a story the other day about how poor people in California pick fruit from people's trees if they hang over their fences.

How many Republicans would SCREAM get off my lawn! Even though they pretend to be Christians.

9 "When you harvest your crops, do not harvest the grain along the edges of your fields, and do not pick up what the harvesters drop.

10 It is the same with your grape crop--do not strip every last bunch of grapes from the vines, and do not pick up the grapes that fall to the ground. Leave them for the poor and the foreigners who live among you, for I, the LORD, am your God.

but let the land rest and lie fallow during the seventh year. Then let the poor among you harvest any volunteer crop that may come up. Leave the rest for the animals to eat. The same applies to your vineyards and olive groves.

Are you stating a question or making a statement? Are you saying all repulicans are Christians? Can a non-Christian be a republican? Can a Christian be a democrat? What does being a Christian mean?

i am referring to people who claim they follow the bible and yet spew hate on here. read enough posts and you will see it. people wanting to kill muslims....people defending the actions of israel over the interests of their own country yet they claim to be patriots....then i see muslims claiming their religion is peace loving while defending the bombers etc...it goes on and on...this is what the "powers to be want" people to be distracted by parties etc...so they never see reality

So now that you've listed only 6 of what I suspect is a long list of generalized anti-liberal opinions, will you also be posting a list of tributes for conservatives, whom I can only presume you think can do no wrong? Since the conservative party is so broken, primarily because of their outdated ideologies, that should be interesting.

Forum List

Back