Another dead kid law in NJ

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
A bill now under consideration by the Legislature would double the amount of time student drivers younger than 18 would have their permits, from six months to a year, and require new drivers younger than 21 practice behind the wheel for at least 50 hours before they get their license, including at least 10 hours at night.

But the biggest change is that student drivers younger than 18 cannot get a learner’s permit until their parent or guardian takes a teen driver orientation program approved by the Division of Highway Traffic Safety.

Bill would require New Jersey teen drivers and their parents attend driver education course before getting learner's permit - pressofAtlanticCity.com: Breaking News

As I've posted many times on this forum, NJ politicians routinely exploit grieving families in order to get their names in the paper. For every tragic child death, a new law is proposed. We have Megan's Law, John's Law, Kiley's Law, Tyler Clementi's Law....It is opportunism at its lowest.

Making parents attend driver ed classes is outrageous. We don't expect many of them to feed their children or help them with homework, but somehow they will be able to find the time, and have the intelligence, to go back to school with their teenagers.

The only kids who will be able to get their licenses (and jobs) before the age of 18 will be those who are most likely privileged in other ways.

Comments?

John Brenner, 52, of Northfield, drove to Trenton in December to advocate for the bill. He is the father of Casey Brenner, who died Aug. 20 when the car he was driving overturned several times near Exit 38A on the Garden State Parkway. The resulting crash killed three of Brenner’s fellow Mainland Regional High School football team members — Edgar Bozzi, Nicholas Connor and Dean Khoury — and injured four other players.

“These aren’t bad kids,” Brenner said Wednesday. “They are all four great kids. There are a lot of great kids out there, but they make mistakes. They make mistakes because they don’t have experience yet.”

Brenner said that what young drivers need is more practice. Even at his age, he said, he can be startled by a car that approaches faster than expected.

This accident happened not too far from me and saddened the entire community. But there were 8 kids in the car (which is already against the law), and according to a cop friend of mine, he was driving over a 100 mph (which also is against the law).

It wasn't a lack of laws that killed these kids. :(

But God help any politician that votes against dead kids. And they all know it.

why dont you move from nj.......you talk about how smart you are and how many houses you have bought and sold....the solution is simple....move out of nj since you hate it so much

A bill now under consideration by the Legislature would double the amount of time student drivers younger than 18 would have their permits, from six months to a year, and require new drivers younger than 21 practice behind the wheel for at least 50 hours before they get their license, including at least 10 hours at night.

But the biggest change is that student drivers younger than 18 cannot get a learner’s permit until their parent or guardian takes a teen driver orientation program approved by the Division of Highway Traffic Safety.

Bill would require New Jersey teen drivers and their parents attend driver education course before getting learner's permit - pressofAtlanticCity.com: Breaking News

As I've posted many times on this forum, NJ politicians routinely exploit grieving families in order to get their names in the paper. For every tragic child death, a new law is proposed. We have Megan's Law, John's Law, Kiley's Law, Tyler Clementi's Law....It is opportunism at its lowest.

Making parents attend driver ed classes is outrageous. We don't expect many of them to feed their children or help them with homework, but somehow they will be able to find the time, and have the intelligence, to go back to school with their teenagers.

The only kids who will be able to get their licenses (and jobs) before the age of 18 will be those who are most likely privileged in other ways.

Comments?

Samson's NJ Driving School: Your Low Cost Alternative, is accepting students this fall for the low rate of $500 per student & parent.

Apply soon; space is limited.

I don't see where the law will prevent anything. Kids get killed because they do stupid things while driving. They always have, they always will

why dont you move from nj.......you talk about how smart you are and how many houses you have bought and sold....the solution is simple....move out of nj since you hate it so much

Oh bones. Your obsession with me is so darling. Not.

I love NJ. I love the mountains, the beaches, the farms, the people, etc. I just can't stand most of our politicians - on both sides.

Chanel's PSA of the day: Message boards allow us to gripe about shit that stinks. Say hello to the internet.

You're welcome.

This one is almost as stupid as making kids put an inexperienced driver sticker on their license plate

Exactly. That was Kiley's Law and one that my husband and I decided NOT to comply with.

I am a high school teacher and I deal with students from many dysfunctional homes. A drivers license for them means independence, freedom, and responsibility. The most mature students are the ones with jobs. Without a license, they can not participate in the work program. These moronic politicians never consider the real life consequences of their "feel good" legislation.

Exactly. That was Kiley's Law and one that my husband and I decided NOT to comply with.

I am a high school teacher and I deal with students from many dysfunctional homes. A drivers license for them means independence, freedom, and responsibility. The most mature students are the ones with jobs. Without a license, they can not participate in the work program. These moronic politicians never consider the real life consequences of their "feel good" legislation.

The stickers were meant to be a way for police to tell when an inexperienced driver had too many kids in the car

But if a kid is going to break the law by having too many passengers, why would he put out the sticker pointing out that fact?

Oh bones. Your obsession with me is so darling. Not.

I love NJ. I love the mountains, the beaches, the farms, the people, etc. I just can't stand most of our politicians - on both sides.

Chanel's PSA of the day: Message boards allow us to gripe about shit that stinks. Say hello to the internet.

You're welcome.

being sick of listening to you whine.....about the state of nj while telling us how brilliant you are is hardly an obsession....just asking the question on everyone's mind.....if its that bad ...then move......

simple as that...

but its nice to think everyone is obsessed with you...when in reality i am simply bored with you and your continual whining.....

Forum List

Back