Another cool find.

earlycuyler

Extra long Bad Ass Cut.
Sep 17, 2011
Drivers seat.
Last week we went to do a touch up on a house and as we got ready the home owner pulled us aside and had us look at this-

img20120814110312.jpg

The picture is crap, but that's as close as I could get to the nest. It was full of pissed off yellow jackets. The home owner was going to hit it with a broom !

Intact, those things fetch about $30. Without the yellowjackets of course.

I have seen forest fires up close, I have chased black bears away with nothing more then my open coat, but I have to admit, I am to big of a puss to attempt to steal that nest for $30.00. I wish I could have gotten a better pic, but it was warming up and they were getting agitated. What do they use the nest for ? is it just decoration ?

I have a huge ugly nest outside the back door underneath the eaves. Might go for it after the sun sets today or tomorrow. The wasps or whatever they are are everywhere this year. I didn't miss them last year. They just weren't around, and I figured it had to be the drought.

They are bad here to. When I was in Texas, they were no worse then usual. Here, their are yellow jackets everywhere, and in everything. Just about every light fixture has had a nest in it. I figured it was just a Colorado thing.

Last week we went to do a touch up on a house and as we got ready the home owner pulled us aside and had us look at this-

img20120814110312.jpg

The picture is crap, but that's as close as I could get to the nest. It was full of pissed off yellow jackets. The home owner was going to hit it with a broom !

Yikes. I got stung numerous times taking a walk with my grandfather when I was a kid. The little evil yellow jackets often nest in the ground. We evidently disturbed them.

I saw one of them turning around and around the circumference of a circle with its stinger as the center of the circle on my ankle. Like it was drilling. The fargin' bastard was pumping me full of its venom. Between that and the several other stings I got, I became very allergic to the yellow jackets' sting.

Years later, my then young niece was playing outside my dad's house as he was mowing the grass. Another underground nest disturbed. They swarmed out like a fog. My niece was completely oblivious to the danger (over the noise of the mower she couldn't hear my warning yells). So, I ran to her to yank her out of harm's way and got stung VERY quickly on the tip of one finger. On and off. Bam. But My finger then got swollen, progressively, to the first knuckle, then the second knuckle then to the palm, pretty soon the whole hand was puffing up so bad I couldn't close my fingers and then it was puffing up my forearm.

If it hadn't stopped there, I don't think would ever have made it to a hospital before the venom shut ME down. But it stopped there, and I never did go to the ER.

That reminds me. Time to get another Epi-Pen.

Intact, those things fetch about $30. Without the yellowjackets of course.

I have seen forest fires up close, I have chased black bears away with nothing more then my open coat, but I have to admit, I am to big of a puss to attempt to steal that nest for $30.00. I wish I could have gotten a better pic, but it was warming up and they were getting agitated. What do they use the nest for ? is it just decoration ?
It looks like where a bunch of new wasps are being nurtured along. One mama wasp can deliver 10-15k new wasps unless you quickly dispose of the nest. Best time for riddance is after the sun sets, when they're all nodded off to sleep. Once riled, you're not safe, though, you might look up a guide for disposing of them. You can also get traps they can get into but can't get out of.

img20120814110312.jpg

Yikes. I got stung numerous times taking a walk with my grandfather when I was a kid. The little evil yellow jackets often nest in the ground. We evidently disturbed them.

I saw one of them turning around and around the circumference of a circle with its stinger as the center of the circle on my ankle. Like it was drilling. The fargin' bastard was pumping me full of its venom. Between that and the several other stings I got, I became very allergic to the yellow jackets' sting.

Years later, my then young niece was playing outside my dad's house as he was mowing the grass. Another underground nest disturbed. They swarmed out like a fog. My niece was completely oblivious to the danger (over the noise of the mower she couldn't hear my warning yells). So, I ran to her to yank her out of harm's way and got stung VERY quickly on the tip of one finger. On and off. Bam. But My finger then got swollen, progressively, to the first knuckle, then the second knuckle then to the palm, pretty soon the whole hand was puffing up so bad I couldn't close my fingers and then it was puffing up my forearm.

If it hadn't stopped there, I don't think would ever have made it to a hospital before the venom shut ME down. But it stopped there, and I never did go to the ER.

I hope you do, Liability.

They are bad here to. When I was in Texas, they were no worse then usual. Here, their are yellow jackets everywhere, and in everything. Just about every light fixture has had a nest in it. I figured it was just a Colorado thing.
You (and I) need to do some serious control, pal, or you or one of your kids or wife will wind up like Liability with a lifelong risk. Best wishes. Ernie_S is allergic too. He started a thread about anaphylaxis the other day. He's allergic to bees and wasps and some nuts.

I hope you do not get stung.

img20120814110312.jpg

An Epi-Pen is an item I have considered throwing into the first aid kit for a long time. I am not allergic, but I was thinking about having it for others who are. While this is a big nest, its a tiny one compared to one my Son showed me on a TV show he was watching. I think it was Billy the exterminator.

You (and I) need to do some serious control, pal, or you or one of your kids or wife will wind up like Liability with a lifelong risk. Best wishes. Ernie_S is allergic too. He started a thread about anaphylaxis the other day. He's allergic to bees and wasps and some nuts.

That nest was at a house I was working on, not mine. I kill those little buggers right now ! As for the home owner where that nest was, he was going to knock it down with a broom !

That nest was at a house I was working on, not mine. I kill those little buggers right now ! As for the home owner where that nest was, he was going to knock it down with a broom !

Suicidal, is he? I still haven't dealt with my nest. I'm taking my yellowjackets out for drinks tonight. I was thinking a Molotov cocktail would be nice.

Forum List

Back