Another CIA discrepancy

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
Dear Director Panetta:

In light of current controversy about CIA briefing practices, I was surprised to learn that the agency erroneously listed an appropriations staffer as being in a key briefing on September 19, 2006, when in fact he was not. The list the agency released entitled "Member Briefings on Enhanced Interrogation Techniques (EITs)", shows that House Appropriations Committee defense appropriations staffer Paul Juola was in that briefing on that date. In fact, Mr. Juola recollects that he walked members to the briefing room, met General Hayden and Mr.Walker, who were the briefers, and was told that he could not attend the briefing. We request that you immediately correct this record.
Sincerely,
David R. Obey
Another Lawmaker Points To An Error In CIA Briefings Doc | TPMMuckraker

Is this the aide that supposedly attended a top secret briefing and was told about waterboarding? I don't know, but I do wonder...why, oh why, would a Congressional aide attend top secret CIA briefings?

Meet the Folkers:

CLIA: Central LACK of Intelligence Agency.

The CIA is a pile of shit.

They are a collection of living, breathing demons.

Okay, I take that back. They aren't as bad as I said. They are simply worthless to America. That's all.

Interesting Ravi...and it DOES SHOW that there is a possibility that the CIA is just WRONG on the Pelosi Graham situation as well.

We need a well run intelligence agency.

One which actually gathers INTEL.

The CIA has a long history is missing the obvious and lying to the POTUS and Congress.

No idea why we're put up with it for so long.

I'm guessing the CIA has ways of protecting itself (administratively speaking) from the wrath of the civil authorites.

Let's have an investigation shall we? get the real deal instead of opinion from partisan news hackers! that's the only fair way to go.

Let's have an investigation shall we? get the real deal instead of opinion from partisan news hackers! that's the only fair way to go.

I agree, let's investigate, THE CIA....

And all of Congress! Pelosi made a charge against the CIA a criminal charge.. so to get a fair investigation it will require investigating her too. someone is lying we just need to know who!

So, while Pelosi has NOW decided to shut her mouth (a bit like shutting the barn door after the animals are out roaming), it's interesting that there are conflicting "recollections" of past events, though not at all unusual.

Exact account of Pelosi briefings elusive - Washington Post- msnbc.com

excerpt

Conflicting recollections
The differing interpretations of the briefing memos mirror the conflicting recollections of Pelosi and three other congressional leaders about what they were told roughly a year after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Porter J. Goss (R-Fla.), the former representative who chaired the intelligence panel in 2002, has suggested that he and Pelosi left their briefing understanding "what the CIA was doing" and offering their support, while Pelosi said waterboarding and other aggressive techniques were mentioned only as legal tactics for future interrogations.

Even more deeply divergent are the recollections of Bob Graham (D-Fla.), the former senator who chaired the Senate intelligence committee in 2002, and Sen. Richard C. Shelby (Ala.), the panel's ranking Republican. In interviews this week, Graham said waterboarding was never mentioned by CIA briefers in their meeting. But Shelby said that he and Graham were specifically told that the technique had already yielded valuable information.

The CIA participated in more than 2,100 congressional briefings and meetings during the 110th Congress an average of more than 20 sessions a week. But the agency declined to discuss details of specific briefings, and a spokesman yesterday again dismissed suggestions that the agency gave lawmakers a misleading portrait of the interrogations.

"The CIA takes seriously its responsibility to provide information to the United States Congress," said the spokesman, George Little.

Interesting Ravi...and it DOES SHOW that there is a possibility that the CIA is just WRONG on the Pelosi Graham situation as well.

Well, again, except for that little problem she has ADMITTED they told her about Water Boarding.

yes, rgs, she has ALWAYS admitted that they briefed her on all NEW enhanced interrogation methods at the sept briefing that the administration said were legal, the dispute is whether she was told about abu z. being waterboarded 83 times already in august at this sept meeting and if the CIA was to use ANY of the enhanced interrogation tactics, that they were to notify congress.

Well, again, except for that little problem she has ADMITTED they told her about Water Boarding.

yes, rgs, she has ALWAYS admitted that they briefed her on all NEW enhanced interrogation methods at the sept briefing that the administration said were legal, the dispute is whether she was told about abu z. being waterboarded 83 times already in august at this sept meeting and if the CIA was to use ANY of the enhanced interrogation tactics, that they were to notify congress.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/76846-another-cia-discrepancy.html#post1230689

Forum List

Back