Another Census

This does look like way more than anybody's right to know. If we get one of these I'll be calling my Congressman, Senator, a letter to the editor will be published, and all area and national talk shows can expect a call.

Unless it is voluntary. If it is mandatory it is way over the top.

From their FAQ

Do I have to answer the questions on the American Community Survey?

Yes, Your response to this survey is required by law (Title 13, U.S. Code Sections 141 and 193) Title 13 as changed by Title 18, imposes a penalty for not responding. We estimate this survey will take about 38 minutes to complete.
Nothing in there about the answers being accurate.

Last month what was the cost of electricity for this house, apartment, mobile home? A BILLION DOLLARS.

Last month what was the cost of gas for this house, apartment, mobile home? A BILLION DOLLARS.

In the past 12 months, what was the cost of water and sewer for this house, apartment, mobile home? A BILLION DOLLARS.

In the past 12 months did anyone in this household receive food stamps or a food stamp benefit card. YES.

About how much do you think this house and lot, apartment, mobile home (and lot if owned) would sell for if it were for sale? A BILLION DOLLARS.

This does look like way more than anybody's right to know. If we get one of these I'll be calling my Congressman, Senator, a letter to the editor will be published, and all area and national talk shows can expect a call.

Unless it is voluntary. If it is mandatory it is way over the top.

From their FAQ

Do I have to answer the questions on the American Community Survey?

Yes, Your response to this survey is required by law (Title 13, U.S. Code Sections 141 and 193) Title 13 as changed by Title 18, imposes a penalty for not responding. We estimate this survey will take about 38 minutes to complete.
Nothing in there about the answers being accurate.

Last month what was the cost of electricity for this house, apartment, mobile home? A BILLION DOLLARS.

Last month what was the cost of gas for this house, apartment, mobile home? A BILLION DOLLARS.

In the past 12 months, what was the cost of water and sewer for this house, apartment, mobile home? A BILLION DOLLARS.

In the past 12 months did anyone in this household receive food stamps or a food stamp benefit card. YES.

About how much do you think this house and lot, apartment, mobile home (and lot if owned) would sell for if it were for sale? A BILLION DOLLARS.

ROFL. Brilliant. Would probably have guys in trenchcoats on your front porch, but I'm seeing ways to have a lot of fun with these. :)

It's already starting in California.
Environmentalists vs Dairy farmer.
Just saw this on the news this morning.
The High speed railway is being diverted around a bird sanctuary and will go through a Dairy Farmers property that will destroy his shops and divide the pasture land for his cows. Plus will go through quite a few private property owners lands.
The bill that was passed by the people of Calif. explicitly says that no ag land will be affected.
Told ya all this was going to start.
Ollie and several of you has it right.
Make it as expensive as you can for them.:)
Everyones' best defense , know and learn your rights.
They still need warranty's to come on private property.
But be careful at giving wrong answers to this stupid census. They can fine you for false answers.
Do put the value of your land at the price that you county has listed for your property tax and then add how much it will cost to buy new land and build a new home.

The way it's worded they are asking what I think my home would sell for.

I think My home is worth at least double if not triple the market value. It is after all, my home.

And they are asking my opinion. Which is about worthless when it comes to property values...... They will get a worthless answer.... And I will write in American for the Ancestry questions.

As I said they want to waste my money I'll help.

And of course I have received 2 form letters (Email type) so far from the 4 people I sent emails to about this. You know they will not read it.....

No, they won't read it. And their staff won't tell them about it either.
You have to go to your town hall meetings and bring it up. Make a copy of the census and show it to them.

The American Community Survey is not new. It's been around for more than a decade now.

But Why?

Because it helps Congress, the federal government, state and local governments decide how to allocate resources.

Yes like this:
Water shut off to California farms because of endangered fish!

They would not even work with the farmers on this. They had found a way to save the fish as well as the farmer's crops but they would not do it. The fish won and the farmers lost.

The American Community Survey is not new. It's been around for more than a decade now.

But Why?

Because it helps Congress, the federal government, state and local governments decide how to allocate resources.

My opinion of what my house might sell for is of no worth to the government.

How much electricity, gas, and water I use is no business of the governments.

How many Bedrooms are in my house is again none of the Federal Governments business.

What resources would any of this help them to direct?

My opinion of what my house might sell for is of no worth to the government.

Well, unless they're trying to determine the factors reducing turnover rates.

How much electricity, gas, and water I use is no business of the governments.

..Unless they're trying to more efficiently use public utilities that provide those things.

How many Bedrooms are in my house is again none of the Federal Governments business.

The Federal government already knows that information. it's public information. If I knew your name and town, I could tell you how many beds, how many baths, how much you paid, how much the previous seller paid, when it was built, how much you paid in property taxes, the size of your yard, the material on your roof etc....within minutes.

It's just easier for the Fed to compile the relevant comparisons by asking you the question as part of the ACS.
What resources would any of this help them to direct?[/QUOTE]

Just mark through the address and put it back in the mailbox. I've read a lot of blogs from people who have refused to answer the survey and no one has said they were fined for not doing it. I sent my back and haven't been bothered since. :banana:

These surveys serve us in understanding what is going on (statistically speaking) in the USA.

If you object don't answer it.

Nobody's going to jail for ignoring it, I'm sure.

These surveys serve us in understanding what is going on (statistically speaking) in the USA.

How does anyones opinion of what their house sells for helping us?

And if the Government has a valid reason t know what the cost of water is in an area they can get an average from the water company. Same with gas and Electric. And they could do it for a lot less and with more accuracy than asking the home owners/ renters. It's a stupid waste of government moneys.

These questions are way to intrusive. If you believe that it is only for statistic's think again.
Why do you think President Obama signed an executive order on the rural communities council?
Because he knew it would have never passed in congress.
If it is to help rural communities then why do they need the Department of Defense on that council?
It's about getting more government money through regulations and mico management on private lands. They want to know how much your house is worth so that they can make an offer to buy it for conservation purposes.

Last edited:
But I would think about it before refusing to respond, guys. There is a stiff fine for failure to respond AND/OR for intentionally falsifying answers. (There's goes Daveman's great idea.) There may be better ways to protest on this one than going the civil disobedience route.

Yes, I said the same thing as Foxfyre. They can fine you for falsifying answers.
Find out about the laws in your areas,so that you can protest and fight it the right way.

So far I have received the automatic email response from my Democrat congressman and my Democrat Senator. And because my name sets off a little bell in his office I got a follow up form letter from the congressman, it of course does not mention the survey. I am rather surprised that I haven't received even an acknowledgement from the Republican Senator. I am of course not surprised that I have not received any acknowledgement from the White House.

But doing a little research I have found out that no one has ever been fined for not filing this out.

Interesting, maybe they know something and don't want to chance it going into court?

Thanks for the info Ollie.
Then I'm not filling mine out either. They will have to come to the door to get it,which I doubt, it costs them too much money to do it. :)
They are going to need all the money they do get from congress, in order the get more so called endangered species sanctuaries.
They won't need the courts. They have the UN and the new executive order that will over ride any courts. :(
Like I said, they learned their lessons well when they did this stuff in the 90's
Hopefully I'm wrong,but I don't think so. We will have to wait and see how they are going to do it.

Two surprise updates in 2 days.

Yesterday I received another survey in the mail. Another total waste of Government funds. Wouldn't a phone call have been less expensive?

Hello, Is this 854 main st?
Yes can i help you?
did you receive the survey the Government sent you 3 weeks ago?
Yes.
Are you going to fill it out and mail it back?
No.
OK , Thank you. click.....

That's basically what should have happened. instead they print another one and mail it to me just in case I didn't get the first one.

But today was an even bigger surprise. Senator Portmans office called me.

We talked for 10 minutes or so and the aid explained how this has already been challenged in court and was ruled constitutional. He gave me the part of the constitution that was sited but I missed it. I should have had him repeat it and write it down. But oh well. I have decided to start filling out the first one. But they will still end up having to call me. eventually.

Oh yes, he asked me what I was going to do with the second one. I had some ideas but didn't mention them. Then I told him I was going to scan the dumb stuff and post it in message boards. He actually liked the idea......

Forum List

Back