Another Cause for the Current Crisis

rayboyusmc

Jan 2, 2008
Florida
No one seems to be talking about Iraq and its financial impact upon our economy during this current "The Sky Is Falling" negotiations.

Most Americans, especially Floridians, are neuron-challenged. Too many of us can't hold two thoughts in mind at the same time. Perhaps, our abundant sunshine fries our synapses; perhaps, we choose the bliss of ignorance. Either way, unless we shake ourselves out of our coma, we'll dig our own graves.

That said, call me a cockeyed optimist, I believe that all of our current financial woes are man-made and readily solvable. So, now that we are within spitting distance of Nov. 4, I am making a last-ditch effort to pull out the stops and get as many people to connect the dots between our in-the-ditch economy and the primary reason for it. Once they are able to yoke two thoughts at a given moment, they will know who should be our next president.

No surprise: The media talk about only what's in front of them. Their banter in recent days about our anemic economy, bailouts and the culprits for our current debacle typically puts the emPHASis on the wrong sylLABle. The mortgage crisis is a symptom, not a primary cause of our problem. It's Iraq.

The first thought to get your gray matter around is the sucking sound draining our economy comes from Baghdad and the Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld Iraq invasion. The prez gave tax breaks to the rich; then, he deposed Saddam Hussein. He and his henchmen never made provisions for financing the occupation, because they didn't think there would be one.

Meanwhile, as the cost of the invasion mounted with no way for us to pay for it except by swelling the deficit, Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan pumped the economy up by artificially lowering interest rates. That disastrous decision set the real estate boom in motion, swelled the national debt and devalued the dollar.

The second thought to get your gray matter around is that, unless we end the money-sucking of our presence in Iraq, the more we bail out failing financial institutions, the more we'll do ourselves in.

McCain and Obama talk tax cuts, but both plans add trillions to the national debt. Only Obama's commitment to tax the richest of the rich makes sense. If Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld-McCain wins the White House, you'll suffer more of the same economic pain, because McCain will keep us in Iraq. Obama's the man to get us out of there. Hold those two thoughts, then cast one vote!

Stephen L. Goldstein duels the issues with Kingsley Guy on alternate Fridays. E-mail him at trend [email protected].

Blame this economic mess on Bush's war in Iraq -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

I think we all know that wars cost us money but we've been through wars before and haven't been in this financial mess... at least that I can remember... Hard to blame it strictly on the war...

We are actually an independant country because of the high costs of war... War looks to me to be one piece of a multi pieced pie..

I think we all know that wars cost us money but we've been through wars before and haven't been in this financial mess... at least that I can remember... Hard to blame it strictly on the war...

Except this is the first time in history a leader has ever...ever...ever... cut taxes during wartime.

The war's effects on our economy this time were negative because of the economy being bad. Historically war has actually boosted our economy, this one is the exception. The normal effect is that Americans start buying more American products and avoid foreign products during war as a show of support (though without realizing it). This time though any number of possible reasons as to why it hasn't worked out that way.

Not a thing.

1003_head_in_sand2.jpg

No, not a thing. Except for the whole draining our treasury to the tune of $10.3 billion dollars a month. The Bush administration request for 2008 was $196 billion for both wars, with $159 billion going to Iraq, according to a summary by the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service.

Praytell, what's offsetting that?

The war is a huge problem for our economy at the moment, a bigger problem is our foreign policy in general. We have troops in at least 130 different countries. Utterly ridiculous.

What does this have to do with the housing problem?

gosh i don't know...what was that deal the fed reserve was doing to keep the economy going?

hmmm?

cutting interest rates??? was that it???

what would low interest rates do to the economy?

hmmm?

enable dumbass to buy houses they can't afford?

hmmm...

The normal effect is that Americans start buying more American products and avoid foreign products during war as a show of support (though without realizing it). This time though any number of possible reasons as to why it hasn't worked out that way.

yeah, really freedom fries just didn't catch on the way it should have...must be what those commie pinko in the public schools are teaching...

1003_head_in_sand2.jpg

No, not a thing. Except for the whole draining our treasury to the tune of $10.3 billion dollars a month. The Bush administration request for 2008 was $196 billion for both wars, with $159 billion going to Iraq, according to a summary by the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service.

Praytell, what's offsetting that?

Once again, what does that have to do with the collapse of Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac?

On a table is a bowl of five oranges. You eat five oranges. There are no more oranges in the house. How many oranges are left in the bowl?

If you cannot grasp that simple concept...well, nevermind - that explains a lot.

What does the war have to do with the economy? Well, if you decided that you were going to take a road trip across the world to fight with someone, that travel takes money, plus there is the cost of the weapons and the ammo. When you get there, you just simply start asking for handouts from all your other friends, and tell them that they will be repaid from the policies that you are going to enact as a result of your fighting.

Your friends fund you, and off to war you go. Later, when you start to run out of money, you ask your friends for more money, and promise them to make the restrictions even more lax, so that they can continue to give you money.

Eventually, there is no more money that your friends can (or will) give you, resulting in a meltdown.

Bush Jr.'s cutting of corporate taxes, as well as the cutting of taxes for the wealty DOES NOT WORK. Trickle down economics is a myth, because all those at the top are going to be working on getting theirs (after all, if they're at the top, they should get more, right?), which results in those at the middle and the bottom get nothing.

Besides......remember when the Chimp in Charge told us that we were only going to be there for 6 months, as well as told us that the money we'd save in oil revenues would pay for the war?

Nope....this is going to be known as the most failed presidency in the United States.

I say we sling him from a pole (like they do with hunted animals), tar and feather him AND Cheney, and have a parade down Penn. Ave.

Who cares what caused it? It's your chance to bring down corporate America Democrats. Stand up and fight for it.

Yeah, I dunno about the rest of my fellow DemoNazis, but that was my first item on the day's agenda.

Forum List

Back