another Bush appointee going to prison

I know what you mean. I just find it fun to correct people. I can understand how people make mistakes like this. They let their own political bias cloud them from facts. I can easily see errors made by pro-Republican posters and I can often find it in pro-Democrat posters too. Some people might call me an overly analytical nit-picker but I simply value concrete facts and truth more than I value political ideology.

Paula Corbin Jones (born Paula Rosalee Corbin on September 17, 1966, in Lonoke, Arkansas) was a former Arkansas state employee who sued President Bill Clinton for sexual harassment and eschewal. Eventually, the court dismissed the lawsuit, before trial, on the grounds that Jones failed to demonstrate any damages. However, while the dismissal was on appeal, Clinton entered into an out-of-court settlement by agreeing to pay Jones $850,000. Many believe that Jones's lawsuit contributed to the Monica Lewinsky scandal, leading to the eventual impeachment of Bill Clinton.

It was tossed out of court.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paula_Jones
This was the first paragraph of the wiki article

The investigations into Bill Clinton by Star who investigated him almost his entire time in office did not uncover the Paula Jones case.

That was a private law suit which she was encouraged by the right wing to bring.

So the investigations found nothing!

I know what you mean. I just find it fun to correct people. I can understand how people make mistakes like this. They let their own political bias cloud them from facts. I can easily see errors made by pro-Republican posters and I can often find it in pro-Democrat posters too. Some people might call me an overly analytical nit-picker but I simply value concrete facts and truth more than I value political ideology.

I hear you. I have historically voted Republican, with a few exceptions (a couple of Dems and Libertarians over the years) but won't hesitate to point out the fuckups of the Republican party when the warrant it, nor will I defend the indefensible.

IMO, Bush has fucked up what could have been a promising presidency. He shouldn't have hired and listened to the neocon twerps in his circle. He has, IMO, desserted the true conservatives in this country much to our detriment. Not that my vote counted here in California, but I sometines regret casting my vote for the man. I would have rather not voted at all at times.

At the same time, the anger, hate, and vitriol from the left is almost incomprehensible...almost.

No, I find myself despising both sides of the aisle and long for a viable third party. These days I consider myself a conservative Libertarian. At least until they bring back the Bull Moose Party.

Paula Corbin Jones (born Paula Rosalee Corbin on September 17, 1966, in Lonoke, Arkansas) was a former Arkansas state employee who sued President Bill Clinton for sexual harassment and eschewal. Eventually, the court dismissed the lawsuit, before trial, on the grounds that Jones failed to demonstrate any damages. However, while the dismissal was on appeal, Clinton entered into an out-of-court settlement by agreeing to pay Jones $850,000. Many believe that Jones's lawsuit contributed to the Monica Lewinsky scandal, leading to the eventual impeachment of Bill Clinton.

It was tossed out of court.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paula_Jones
This was the first paragraph of the wiki article

Okay. Fair enough. Technically, the suit was dismissed. A settlement was reached while an appeal was in process. I guess that we don’t know what would have come from the appeal. Still, I stand corrected.

The investigations into Bill Clinton by Star who investigated him almost his entire time in office did not uncover the Paula Jones case.

That was a private law suit which she was encouraged by the right wing to bring.

So the investigations found nothing!

Okay. The Ken’s investigation found that Clinton lied about an affair. You might call the particular lie nothing or irrelevant. I think that lies are important and that it would have been for the courts to determine the relevancy.

I also think that Libby should be punished for what he did – lie.

Nope I think that was the Jones suit that found that one.

That is why the Jones suit fwas filed in the first place, to catch Clinton in a lie he thought he could get away with.

You see the DNA was the only way it was proved a lie.

Do you think Monica would have testivied against Bill without it?

It's late in the game of 2007, our country is at war. Let's start off with the premise that Clinton was innocent and GW is guilty of all accusations. Now what?

If you Do assume they are guilty that means they have been taken to trail and convicted of the various crimes like taking the country to war on lies, subverting justice in the DOJ trail and vote fraud.

That means Nancy Pelosi is president.

That means we do the preperation nessesary to leave Iraq instead of escalating it.

It means we start working on fixing our problems like Health care, Immigration and all the others.

It would mean the Rs left in office would be trying hard to lose the Image of Bush patsies so I think they would be working with the new President and the majority congress to solve them.

If you Do assume they are guilty that means they have been taken to trail and convicted of the various crimes like taking the country to war on lies, subverting justice in the DOJ trail and vote fraud.

That means Nancy Pelosi is president.

That means we do the preperation nessesary to leave Iraq instead of escalating it.

It means we start working on fixing our problems like Health care, Immigration and all the others.

It would mean the Rs left in office would be trying hard to lose the Image of Bush patsies so I think they would be working with the new President and the majority congress to solve them.
pelosi as president, though you went further than the most liberal of facts would allow. What does it look like now?

Nope I think that was the Jones suit that found that one.

That is why the Jones suit fwas filed in the first place, to catch Clinton in a lie he thought he could get away with.

You see the DNA was the only way it was proved a lie.

Do you think Monica would have testivied against Bill without it?

Okay. I concede to the above statement. Perhaps a team contacted Paula in an attempt to get Clinton to lie. Yet, perhaps Clinton did commit sexual harassment - or perhaps not. As you corrected me, the case was thrown out but the appeal was settled.

Why would Clinton have settled if he were not guilty? If I was completely clean, I would have continued to fight. Then, after the trial ended in my favor, I would have sued Paula for frivolous prosecution or some such charge. No one is about to try me on trumped up charges and get away with it. Oh well. That is somewhat of a tangent to your topic.

I’m a tiny bit confused about the point that you are trying to make. Is your gripe with Ken Starr and his team or with Paula Jones and her team? Basically as I see it, by one team or another, in one way or another, Clinton was caught in a lie.

To make it stop!

He could not have sued her to pay his legal fees because she had nothing to get.

It was in his best interest to stop the case to keep the bills down.

I doubt he harassed her , I think she gave him head and wanted to see him again.

The trooper at the door testified she said she wanted to Be his girlfriend as she left the hotel room.

She then added him to the suit.

I think he got what he wanted from her and she didnt from him.

It wasnt untill years later she tried to sue him.

She was fished out of by the Rs and put up to filing this suit to catch Clinton in the lie once they knew about the dress.

It was a political hit job, testimony in the case was almost strictly about Monica and the dress.

To make it stop!

He could not have sued her to pay his legal fees because she had nothing to get.

It was in his best interest to stop the case to keep the bills down.

I doubt he harassed her , I think she gave him head and wanted to see him again.

The trooper at the door testified she said she wanted to Be his girlfriend as she left the hotel room.

She then added him to the suit.

I think he got what he wanted from her and she didnt from him.

It wasnt untill years later she tried to sue him.

She was fished out of by the Rs and put up to filing this suit to catch Clinton in the lie once they knew about the dress.

It was a political hit job, testimony in the case was almost strictly about Monica and the dress.

Perhaps he did not harass her and perhaps she was angry because supposedly he turned her down. Okay. We can pull up the transcript and play legal counsel for months. I don’t care much about who dumped who and if there was harassment or not. We civilly agree to disagree. My opinion and fact remains: 1) I think that if there were nothing to it, Clinton could win and then sue Paula and her team to recover his expenses. 2) Clinton lied to a grand jury.

Perhaps he did not harass her and perhaps she was angry because supposedly he turned her down. Okay. We can pull up the transcript and play legal counsel for months. I don’t care much about who dumped who and if there was harassment or not. We civilly agree to disagree. My opinion and fact remains: 1) I think that if there were nothing to it, Clinton could win and then sue Paula and her team to recover his expenses. 2) Clinton lied to a grand jury.

And I can tell you that people settle cases all the time.... often when they don't think they have responsibility. Happens every day and a good lawyer will tell someone that they can stop the bleeding in terms of legal fees and go on with their life or they can make the case their life's project.

Clinton's legal fees almost bankrupted him. Once the case ended, he was able to go out on the lecture circuit and make a fortune. Living well is the best revenge, no?

Doesn't matter if Clinton COULD sue Paula, there was no money to be gotten if he did.

Addionally, harassment by law suit is very difficult to prove. There is also no cause of action for libel arising out of the contents of court documents.

He was right to get out when he did. Entering into a settlement does not necessarily have any correlation to liability.

And I can tell you that people settle cases all the time.... often when they don't think they have responsibility. Happens every day and a good lawyer will tell someone that they can stop the bleeding in terms of legal fees and go on with their life or they can make the case their life's project.

Clinton's legal fees almost bankrupted him. Once the case ended, he was able to go out on the lecture circuit and make a fortune. Living well is the best revenge, no?

Doesn't matter if Clinton COULD sue Paula, there was no money to be gotten if he did.

Addionally, harassment by law suit is very difficult to prove. There is also no cause of action for libel arising out of the contents of court documents.

He was right to get out when he did. Entering into a settlement does not necessarily have any correlation to liability.

Point noted. I am no lawyer, but let’s assume that the case went the distance and Clinton won. Couldn’t he have sued Paula’s team along with Paula? I think that the organizations that represented Paula had lots of money.

Forum List

Back