Another Broken Promise? Closing Guantánamo Fades as a Priority

Yeah Right.

He just discovered, like Bush before him, that closing Gitmo is a lot easier to say than it is to do.

Gitmo is the perfect place for these dirtbags and it should stay open and if the left wing idiots don't like it, well tough shit.

He's got another 2.5 years to keep the promise. It's a 4 year term. Remember?

He's not done too badly on the promise end of things: PolitiFact | The Obameter: Tracking Barack Obama's Campaign Promises

That Obamameter is not a ttue indicator of his campaign promises record
A campaign promise refers to his platform as he campaigned. Not simply basic promises made at question and answer sessions.

His campaign ran on the platform of:

1) Stop the way things are done in Washington
2) Create an atmosphere of Bipartisanship
3) Pull out of Iraq in 6 months
4) Close Gitmo

As I see it, he is 0 for 4.

He's not done too badly on the promise end of things: PolitiFact | The Obameter: Tracking Barack Obama's Campaign Promises

A campaign promise refers to his platform as he campaigned. Not simply basic promises made at question and answer sessions.

4) Close Gitmo

Ditto.

4) Close Gitmo

Ditto.

And thre irony?

The one thing he said on the campaign trail that he had his PR people glaze over as "taken out of context" was ....spread the wealth.

Now, THAT he ended up keeping.

Go figure.

Last edited:

4) Close Gitmo

They were all promises he made along the campaign - far more than the four you selectively listed. When it comes to #2 - he's certainly tried and earned the wrath of both sides. If neither side is willing, it's a bit tricky.

They list the top 25 here: PolitiFact | The Obameter: Obama's Campaign Promises that are about PolitiFact's Top Promises

Those were part of his platform.

Edited to add: #1 and #2 are very vague and broad, you need specifics to rate "kept" or "broken" or whatever. Clearly 3 was not kept, and 4 is in the works. He's got 2.5 more years.

Last edited:

4) Close Gitmo

Plus he said this was going to be the most transparent of the most transparent governments ever... I don't call closed door meetings on health care transparency.... 0-5

Well.. that little link tries to list every small thing... I can list tying my shoes this morning as an accomplishment or promise kept... does not amount to a hill of beans

His biggest stances and 'promises' he has done zilch on (thankfully he has not come thru with most of his promises, for the sake of this country)

He broke the promise of decrim support on Pot.
The tea party could lock up bou cou wins with that freedin issue alone.

This is just another case of the Republicans giggling...

We created too big a mess for you to clean up!

I find it interesting - ironic actually - that this was one of the first things the idiot-in-chief did on his very first full day in office. Who knew many more examples of his utter inexperience would follow? Presidential on-the-job training at its finest.

4) Close Gitmo

Plus he said this was going to be the most transparent of the most transparent governments ever... I don't call closed door meetings on health care transparency.... 0-5

Ah...I see. Your way of counting promises is to limit it to promises broken. Interesting, if inaccurate.

Big surprise here... Ravi and other liberals on these boards should be pissed!

Closing Guantánamo Fades as a Priority - NYTimes.com

Yup!

About this issue there can be no denying.

Obama said that he was going to close it down.

He's had plenty of time.

He hasn't.

Still think he's a liberal?

He's not.

There's a huge difference between promises made campaigning and the reality of governance. Gitmo has to be closed down, it's like a cancer on America. But the reality of closing it is more complicated and that is what Obama found out once he was in office and had access to a lot more information.

He's got 4 years to do it, and I'll give him all 4 years to keep the promise.

Well.. that little link tries to list every small thing... I can list tying my shoes this morning as an accomplishment or promise kept... does not amount to a hill of beans

His biggest stances and 'promises' he has done zilch on (thankfully he has not come thru with most of his promises, for the sake of this country)

That link has a sub-list of the top promises, his biggest ones, including a healthcare bill and a renewed emphasis on Afghanistan.

Forum List

Back