Another Boo Hoo Story

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Yesterday I read an article about how the housing slow down is disproportionately hurting 'undocumented workers'. Today this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070712/ap_on_re_us/immigrants_marriage_licenses

Some immigrants denied marriage licenses

By TRAVIS LOLLER, Associated Press WriterThu Jul 12, 7:53 PM ET

A federal law that requires people to supply their Social Security number when applying for a marriage license has forced thousands of couples around the country, particularly illegal immigrants, to put their wedding plans on hold.

The law has been on the books for about a decade and was intended to make it easier to collect child support payments. But in some places it has prevented even legal immigrants and some American citizens from getting married.

Some couples are traveling to other states or other counties willing to issue them marriage licenses.

Jonadad Luque, a Honduran immigrant legally in the U.S., wants to marry his girlfriend, with whom he has two children, ages 1 and 5. But the county clerk in Nashville would not issue them a license because his girlfriend is in the country illegally and does not have a Social Security number.

Since when did the law mean anything to illegal immigrants? The can just pronounce themselves "married" and get on with it, the same way they just pronounce themselves "citizens."

Since when did the law mean anything to illegal immigrants? The can just pronounce themselves "married" and get on with it, the same way they just pronounce themselves "citizens."

Well hell, they could just steal a row boat, declare himself captain, and marry themselves! It would be almost as valid as their claims on the benefits they get at the expense of US citizens.

I guess I do not understand why the couple could not just go to another state and get married. Seems like a non-story to me.

They should have no rights of any forms in this country. No school. No Drivers License, No medical insurance, No welfare. No marriage. If they'd learn to keep it in their pants they wouldnt have so many kids that they couldnt support them. :cuckoo:

They should have no rights of any forms in this country. No school. No Drivers License, No medical insurance, No welfare. No marriage. If they'd learn to keep it in their pants they wouldnt have so many kids that they couldnt support them. :cuckoo:

You forgot Scholorship's. That's one thing that really pisses me off is that illegal's can get Scholarship's and then that mean's someone who is a citizen can't.

Forum List

Back