Another Big Cost to the War in Iraq

rayboyusmc

Jan 2, 2008
Florida
We have been so blessed that no war in our lifteimes has been waged here on our soil like this. 9-11 is the closest to a war we have seen.

I wish everyperson who wanted to wage a war could experience this shit before making the decision. We would only go to wars as the last resort.

By KIM GAMEL and BUSHRA JUHI, Associated Press Writers
1 hour, 23 minutes ago

BAGHDAD - The car exploded near a popular ice cream parlor, sending flames and shrapnel through the busy square and killing 17 people.

It was another deadly explosion quickly forgotten by the outside world. But Aug. 1, 2007, changed the life of 28-year-old Maysa Sharif. It was the day she became one of nearly a million Iraqi women who have lost husbands as the country has suffered through three wars and Saddam Hussein's murderous regime.

Such vast numbers of widows would tax any society, and all the more Iraq's. With virtually no safety net and few job opportunities, most widows have little choice but to move in with their extended families and depend on their largesse.

Sharif was five months pregnant and preparing breakfast for her children when the blast shook their house in central Baghdad. She ran to the scene where her 39-year-old husband, Hussein Abdul-Hassan, ran a cigarette kiosk, and saw him on the ground. "Shrapnel hit his body and his head was cracked open. His eyes and mouth also were open," she said.

"I wanted to close them," she said, but police dragged her away, fearing a second explosion.

And her nightmare continued. Her 7-year-old son Saif had gone to work with his dad, and she couldn't find him. Only as her husband was being taken to the holy city of Najaf to be buried did she learn her son had died in the hospital.

We have been so blessed that no war in our lifteimes has been waged here on our soil like this. 9-11 is the closest to a war we have seen.

I wish everyperson who wanted to wage a war could experience this shit before making the decision. We would only go to wars as the last resort.

Though some of the "spin" is obvious, I agree with most of what YOU say.

So, what's your point? War is a terrible thing, but without it, we would still be part of England, or part of Nazi Germany or part of the Japanese Empire. What's the old saying, Freedom isn't free.

Forum List

Back