Another Bidenism

Lightbulb? Braille? Photography?
:doubt:

In 1802, Humphry Davy had what was then the most powerful electrical battery in the world at the Royal Institution of Great Britain. In that year, he created the first incandescent light by passing the current through a thin strip of platinum, chosen because the metal had an extremely high melting point. It was not bright enough nor did it last long enough to be practical, but it was the precedent behind the efforts of scores of experimenters over the next 75 years.[8] In 1809, Davy also created the first arc lamp with two carbon charcoal rods connected to a 2000-cell battery; it was demonstrated to the Royal Institution in 1810.

The Braille system was based on a method of communication originally developed by Charles Barbier in response to Napoleon's demand for a code that soldiers could use to communicate silently and without light at night called night writing

Starting in 1829[16] he began collaborating on improved photographic processes with Louis Daguerre, and together they developed the physautotype, a process that used lavender oil. The partnership lasted until Niépce’s death in 1833. Daguerre continued with experimentation, eventually developing a process that little resembled that of Niépce.[17] He named this the "Daguerreotype", after himself. He managed in 1839 to get the government of France to purchase his invention on behalf of the people of France.

All via wikipedia

Lightbulb? Braille? Photography?
:doubt:

In 1802, Humphry Davy had what was then the most powerful electrical battery in the world at the Royal Institution of Great Britain. In that year, he created the first incandescent light by passing the current through a thin strip of platinum, chosen because the metal had an extremely high melting point. It was not bright enough nor did it last long enough to be practical, but it was the precedent behind the efforts of scores of experimenters over the next 75 years.[8] In 1809, Davy also created the first arc lamp with two carbon charcoal rods connected to a 2000-cell battery; it was demonstrated to the Royal Institution in 1810.

The Braille system was based on a method of communication originally developed by Charles Barbier in response to Napoleon's demand for a code that soldiers could use to communicate silently and without light at night called night writing

Starting in 1829[16] he began collaborating on improved photographic processes with Louis Daguerre, and together they developed the physautotype, a process that used lavender oil. The partnership lasted until Niépce’s death in 1833. Daguerre continued with experimentation, eventually developing a process that little resembled that of Niépce.[17] He named this the "Daguerreotype", after himself. He managed in 1839 to get the government of France to purchase his invention on behalf of the people of France.

All via wikipedia

So you get Braille via Napoleon. The other two were not invented due to government vision or incentive.

1/3.

You still have the Wright Brothers, Velcro, toilet paper and vibrators to go.

1/7.

Last edited:
The Wright Brothers got help from the US Weather Bureau.

Rolled toilet paper doesn't qualify.

If France didn't buy the photographic information it would have probably not become part of public usage.

I was under the impression that the Royal Institute was funded publicly but I may be incorrect on that one.

If France didn't buy the photographic information it would have probably not become part of public usage.

I was under the impression that the Royal Institute was funded publicly but I may be incorrect on that one.

None of those are government vision or incentive.

The government didn't say "Hey, it would be great if you invented xxx", or "Hey, we have an issue, invent something to fix problem xxx" or "Hey, invent this and we'll give you money".

The way Biden said it, is that these inventions would not have been invented at all, if it weren't for government vision or incentive.

The government didn't say "Hey, it would be great if you invented xxx", or "Hey, we have an issue, invent something to fix problem xxx" or "Hey, invent this and we'll give you money".
Government vision. :thup:

They certainly all fall under that category of being helped by the government.

What puzzles me is why this bothers people. WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT.

I can't find the transcript to see the context...but from a link at your link:

VPOTUS, who stood next to Bishop and grasped the four-term Democrat’s shoulder at several points during his remarks, waded into the audience as he discussed the nation’s need to compete with education and infrastructure investments made by nations like China and India, and Republican opposition to such spending.
“Every single great idea that has marked the 21st century, the 20th century and the 19th century has required government vision and government incentive,” he said. “In the middle of the Civil War you had a guy named Lincoln paying people $16,000 for every 40 miles of track they laid across the continental United States. … No private enterprise would have done that for another 35 years.”

IMO, he is correct. We do not want to be outdone by China and India.

Government vision. :thup:

They certainly all fall under that category of being helped by the government.

What puzzles me is why this bothers people. WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT.

No.

Government vision is not "being helped by the government". Government has built the roads and the economic structure which helped the Wright Brothers travel from Ohio to North Carolina. But thats not government vision either. Getting climatological data from the US Weather Bureau definitely falls into this same category, and does not count as "government vision". The government did not give the Wright Brothers the vision for winged flight, nor gave them an incentive to invent it. The government did not go to Orville and Wilbur and say "Hey, invent a manned flying machine".

And once again, getting help from the government to implement your invention comes post-invention. You have to have an invention to implement first. And doesn't fall into what Biden was talking about.

Still 1/7.

Last edited:
I can't find the transcript to see the context...but from a link at your link:

VPOTUS, who stood next to Bishop and grasped the four-term Democrat’s shoulder at several points during his remarks, waded into the audience as he discussed the nation’s need to compete with education and infrastructure investments made by nations like China and India, and Republican opposition to such spending.
“Every single great idea that has marked the 21st century, the 20th century and the 19th century has required government vision and government incentive,” he said. “In the middle of the Civil War you had a guy named Lincoln paying people $16,000 for every 40 miles of track they laid across the continental United States. … No private enterprise would have done that for another 35 years.”

IMO, he is correct. We do not want to be outdone by China and India.

I agree with the thrust of his argument of needing to focus on education and infrastructure. I disagree with his over the top hyperbole that effectively kills his argument because the opposition will be able to point out how wrong he is. Over and over and over again.

He probably did more to hurt his cause than help it by saying that.

New Topics

Forum List

Back