Another ACA "failure"...

Arianrhod

Gold Member
Jul 24, 2015
...for patients, hospitals, and the U.S. economy.

HCA says insurance exchange enrollment encouraging so far

Where will it end?

The chief executive of HCA Holdings Inc on Monday said he expects the Affordable Care Act to drive more growth for the U.S. hospital operator in 2016 as Americans sign up for insurance coverage through exchanges created under the law.

"We are very encouraged by the open enrollment results so far," R. Milton Johnson, CEO of the largest U.S. for-profit hospital chain, said in remarks at the J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference in San Francisco.

HCA's shares were up about 6 percent at $68.12 in midday trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

About 11.3 million Americans have signed up so far for individual health insurance in 2016 through HealthCare.gov and the state-based exchanges, the U.S. government said last week. Enrollment for these plans, which were created under the health reform law known as Obamacare, closes on Jan. 31.

HCA on Friday raised its outlook for adjusted earnings in 2015, saying it admitted more patients to its hospitals and treated more people in its emergency rooms.

In October, HCA had warned of weaker-than-expected third-quarter results and said it was seeing more patients without insurance, including some who had purchased coverage through the exchanges but then dropped it in the second half of the year.

U.S. health insurers have said they are losing money on the exchanges because many of their patients are older or have high medical costs. UnitedHealth Group Inc, the largest U.S. health insurer, in November said it is considering exiting the exchanges in 2017 because weak enrollment and high costs were taking too big a toll on its performance.

HCA's Johnson on Monday said some attrition in exchange enrollment was to be expected in the second half of the year, after an initial spike higher due to the sign-up period. But he predicted the number of people dropping coverage would likely be relatively small. "We are going to see some seasonality in reform," he said.

Johnson said he expects additional states will opt to expand Medicaid coverage for the poor in future years under health reform, but not in 2016.

He also said HCA is interested in growth through acquisitions, but noted a lack of "willing sellers" in the market.

Where will it end?

The chief executive of HCA Holdings Inc on Monday said he expects the Affordable Care Act to drive more growth for the U.S. hospital operator in 2016 as Americans sign up for insurance coverage through exchanges created under the law.

"We are very encouraged by the open enrollment results so far," R. Milton Johnson, CEO of the largest U.S. for-profit hospital chain, said in remarks at the J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference in San Francisco.

HCA's shares were up about 6 percent at $68.12 in midday trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

About 11.3 million Americans have signed up so far for individual health insurance in 2016 through HealthCare.gov and the state-based exchanges, the U.S. government said last week. Enrollment for these plans, which were created under the health reform law known as Obamacare, closes on Jan. 31.

HCA on Friday raised its outlook for adjusted earnings in 2015, saying it admitted more patients to its hospitals and treated more people in its emergency rooms.

In October, HCA had warned of weaker-than-expected third-quarter results and said it was seeing more patients without insurance, including some who had purchased coverage through the exchanges but then dropped it in the second half of the year.

U.S. health insurers have said they are losing money on the exchanges because many of their patients are older or have high medical costs. UnitedHealth Group Inc, the largest U.S. health insurer, in November said it is considering exiting the exchanges in 2017 because weak enrollment and high costs were taking too big a toll on its performance.

HCA's Johnson on Monday said some attrition in exchange enrollment was to be expected in the second half of the year, after an initial spike higher due to the sign-up period. But he predicted the number of people dropping coverage would likely be relatively small. "We are going to see some seasonality in reform," he said.

Johnson said he expects additional states will opt to expand Medicaid coverage for the poor in future years under health reform, but not in 2016.

He also said HCA is interested in growth through acquisitions, but noted a lack of "willing sellers" in the market.

Oh, the Humanity!

Where will it end?

The failures are those who demand someone else provide them a subsidy so they can afford to buy something they should be buying themselves on their own with another person being forced to help them do it.

Leeches

Gee, thanks govidaddy for lying vociferously to get this through.

And we're supposed to now sing the praises. You people are totally fucking nuts.

It's certainly not a failure for the big insurance companies that wrote it and pushed through. They're lovin' it!

It's certainly not a failure for the big insurance companies that wrote it and pushed through. They're lovin' it!

Why do you hate capitalism?
I don't. I hate corporatism.

So do I. How do you feel about oil industry subsidies?

I'm opposed to them. Do you know what corporatism is? Are you aware that ACA is a standout example?

I know what corporatism is.

I've also observed that some people's is...selective.

Why do you hate capitalism?
I don't. I hate corporatism.

So do I. How do you feel about oil industry subsidies?

I'm opposed to them. Do you know what corporatism is? Are you aware that ACA is a standout example?

I know what corporatism is.

Then you understand that ACA is the epitome of corporatism? I sort of doubt that. You probably think corporatism is business and government colluding, but it's not. Corporatism is a kind of government that gives up on protecting equal rights of individuals and, instead, parses out power to special interest groups. Corporatism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've also observed that some people's is...selective.

'Spose so.

Funny....

The ACA was supposed to help level this out.

But we've got one group saying they are seeing "high earnings" (so much for those cost savings) and another saying they are looking to leave.

My bet is that United Won't go. Obama and co. will work a backroom deal to keep them in the game.

If the actual insurers (and not Breitbart) are saying that, they're lying.

The coverage from the insurer is the same regardless of whether you buy it through the exchanges, from Esurance, through your employer, or from a broker.

Will y'all please keep your myths straight?

The coverage from the insurer is the same regardless of whether you buy it through the exchanges, from Esurance, through your employer, or from a broker.

UnitedHealth Says It Should Have Avoided Obamacare Longer

Breitbart ?

But you know they are lying.

With no proof.

And that makes my question.....a myth.

Breitbart ?

With no proof.

So UHC has mismanaged its portfolio and is doing badly where other insurers, per the OP, are not. If UHC pulls out of the market, that leaves room for other insurers to pick up their market share.

Aren't y'all supposed to support small business entrepreneurship?

Breitbart ?

With no proof.

So UHC has mismanaged its portfolio and is doing badly where other insurers, per the OP, are not. If UHC pulls out of the market, that leaves room for other insurers to pick up their market share.

Aren't y'all supposed to support small business entrepreneurship?

And the stupidity rolls on.

1. UHC may have mismanaged it's portfolio.
2. The quotes from the OP don't necessarily support all the roses the headline promotes.
3. There should be competitors flocking to the market right now given the kind of money some of these guys claim to be making.
4. When HMO's started and their CEO's got rich. Many of us wondered how that fixed pie of health care could support this.
5. That question still remains. What is happening that the cost curve is bending (other than people are being screwed and are not using their high deductible insurance...but we've already established that....) so that people can still make good money on this ?

And wait....you said they (the UHC guys) were lying.

I am still waiting for the primary source.

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

Forum List

Back