Another 4 years of the failed Bush energy policy

Bush's energy policy....

U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

Measure Title: A bill to ensure jobs for our future with secure, affordable, and reliable energy.

Alphabetical by Senator Name Akaka (D-HI), Yea
Alexander (R-TN), Yea
Allard (R-CO), Yea
Allen (R-VA), Yea
Baucus (D-MT), Yea
Bayh (D-IN), Yea
Bennett (R-UT), Yea
Biden (D-DE), Nay
Bingaman (D-NM), Yea
Bond (R-MO), Yea
Boxer (D-CA), Nay
Brownback (R-KS), Yea
Bunning (R-KY), Yea
Burns (R-MT), Yea
Burr (R-NC), Yea
Byrd (D-WV), Yea
Cantwell (D-WA), Yea
Carper (D-DE), Nay
Chafee (R-RI), Nay
Chambliss (R-GA), Yea
Clinton (D-NY), Nay
Coburn (R-OK), Yea
Cochran (R-MS), Yea
Coleman (R-MN), Yea
Collins (R-ME), Yea
Conrad (D-ND), Yea
Cornyn (R-TX), Yea
Corzine (D-NJ), Nay
Craig (R-ID), Yea
Crapo (R-ID), Yea
Dayton (D-MN), Yea
DeMint (R-SC), Yea
DeWine (R-OH), Yea
Dodd (D-CT), Nay
Dole (R-NC), Yea
Domenici (R-NM), Yea
Dorgan (D-ND), Yea
Durbin (D-IL), Yea
Ensign (R-NV), Yea
Enzi (R-WY), Yea
Feingold (D-WI), Nay
Feinstein (D-CA), Nay
Frist (R-TN), Yea
Graham (R-SC), Yea
Grassley (R-IA), Yea
Gregg (R-NH), Nay
Hagel (R-NE), Yea
Harkin (D-IA), Yea
Hatch (R-UT), Yea
Hutchison (R-TX), Yea
Inhofe (R-OK), Yea
Inouye (D-HI), Yea
Isakson (R-GA), Yea
Jeffords (I-VT), Nay
Johnson (D-SD), Yea
Kennedy (D-MA), Nay
Kerry (D-MA), Nay
Kohl (D-WI), Yea
Kyl (R-AZ), Nay
Landrieu (D-LA), Yea
Lautenberg (D-NJ), Nay
Leahy (D-VT), Nay
Levin (D-MI), Yea
Lieberman (D-CT), Yea
Lincoln (D-AR), Yea
Lott (R-MS), Yea
Lugar (R-IN), Yea
Martinez (R-FL), Nay
McCain (R-AZ), Nay
McConnell (R-KY), Yea
Mikulski (D-MD), Yea
Murkowski (R-AK), Yea
Murray (D-WA), Nay
Nelson (D-FL), Nay
Nelson (D-NE), Yea
Obama (D-IL), Yea
Pryor (D-AR), Yea
Reed (D-RI), Nay
Reid (D-NV), Nay
Roberts (R-KS), Yea
Rockefeller (D-WV), Yea
Salazar (D-CO), Yea
Santorum (R-PA), Yea
Sarbanes (D-MD), Nay
Schumer (D-NY), Nay
Sessions (R-AL), Yea
Shelby (R-AL), Yea
Smith (R-OR), Yea
Snowe (R-ME), Yea
Specter (R-PA), Yea
Stabenow (D-MI), Yea
Stevens (R-AK), Yea
Sununu (R-NH), Nay
Talent (R-MO), Yea
Thomas (R-WY), Yea
Thune (R-SD), Yea
Vitter (R-LA), Yea
Voinovich (R-OH), Yea
Warner (R-VA), Yea
Wyden (D-OR), Nay

Interesting considering....
The Crypt: McCain-Obama clash on energy policy spills over onto Capitol Hill - Politico.com

"John McCain's plan to simply drill our way out of our energy crisis is the same misguided approach backed by President Bush that has failed our families for too long and only serves to benefit the big oil companies," Obama spokesman Hari Sevugan told the Washington Post on Tuesday.

Hmm...but isn't it Obama who voted for President Bush's energy policy?

We were warned by industry experts following the 1972 Arab oil embargo and again in 1980-1981 int he last oil price shock that we had 50 or less years of dependable supply left......

We've had democrat Presidents and Republicans. Dems controlled congress for all but 12 of those 35 years. Neither gave us any kind of energy policy. Guess what, neither McCain nor Obama has a clue. And Polosi/Read nor the Rep leadership has a clue either. Both side simply pick and choose the pieces that to them play to their political constituency but we need to do ALL of it.

Because there is a potential environmental cost as well. If we don't know how much oil there is with certainty, but it appears it will only reduce the price of a gallon of gasoline by a few pennies, the question becomes why we risk environmental degradation when it won't make a real difference to American consumers. I would be happy to have cheaper gas, but does it really matter that much whether gas is $4 or $3.97 (although we can probably expect the real prices in 2018 to be even higher)?

If there is an environmental risk, then I would at least like to know that there is some basis for believing drilling in ANWAR will actually make a real difference.

Got to drill EVERYWHERE if we are to drill at all. We need a BRIDGE to get from oil to an alternative. The more we can domestically produce the less painful the transition will be. We have to drill EVERYWHERE, California, AMWR the Eastern Gulf, Colorado Oil Shale....ALL OF IT. We have to have a MASSIVE Nuclear power plant building boom. We need to put up a million or more wind turbines, millions of acres of solar panels, billion in Lithium Ian battery and other rechargable battery based technologies. We need to kill some useless fish and bird and build HUNDREDS of more hydroelectric dams. We need to DO IT ALL. The environment will just have to get by.,..

ya know all this talk of a bridge to an alternative done less painfully...

give me a fxcking break...what the hell has america been doing for the last 20 years to reduce our dependence on oil?

basically nothing.

without the pain there won't be a change.

ya know all this talk of a bridge to an alternative done less painfully...

give me a fxcking break...what the hell has america been doing for the last 20 years to reduce our dependence on oil?

basically nothing.

without the pain there won't be a change.

You are so right. I was around during the 70s "gas shortage." There was hysteria. There was shortages. Small cars began to roll out but soon wages and prices caught up, crude prices began to level off and we forgot. We went right back to gas guzzlers and forgot about the conservation efforts of those days.

But this time I think we will see more innovation. Hybrids were unthinkable in those days. We should begin seeing all electric cars rolling out soon and being sold in significant numbers.

NO PAIN...NO GAIN

We should begin seeing all electric cars rolling out soon and being sold in significant numbers.

I can't see how electric cars are going to much of solve anything today (except local pollution conditions, of course) until we find sustainable non-carbon based ways to produce that electicity.

Electric cars are in our futures, though..powered by electicity from wind,solar, geothermal, tidal and nuclear sources would be my guess.

Actually, it could be a very exciting time if you think about it. Inventive minds will be coming up with some very cool stuff. Now if the Big Three would only put some of those "inventive minds" on their payrolls, we could see some interesting options.

It seem the Japanese (Toyota, Honda) beat us to the punch on almost all innovations and US car makers find themselves trying to catch up.

But this time I think we will see more innovation.

I disagree, I think we will see more political pandering with little getting done.

When they find cheap sustainable electicity soucres, they'll build cars to use it.

But we're so busy squabbling about ANWR (which is not a solution, its really adding to the problem) that we aren't focusing on the REAL solutions.

When they find cheap sustainable electicity soucres, they'll build cars to use it.

But we're so busy squabbling about ANWR (which is not a solution, its really adding to the problem) that we aren't focusing on the REAL solutions.

We should use all options including drilling in ANWR to bring oil prices down. Why not drill in ANWR, I still haven't got an answer to that question? Enviromental risk, then what enviromental risks?

Hey, I posted evidence to support my position.. pictures are worth how many barrels of oil these days? Crai about personal attacks some more, dude.. It will probably make your goofy ass "the dems say we cant drill even though we had almost complete control of government fo 8 years" opinion even more relevant.

Why don't you get a grip, yo? I realize that you feel a lot of bitterness right now because your previous presidential candidate pretty much fucked you in a plethora of ways but crying about bush haters won't make his pathetic incompetence and saudi handjobs any less of a fact.

Just a quick note Sho... my name isn't "yo," and I don't wear my pants hanging off the bottom of my ass with my underwear hanging out and some stupid baseball cap on backwards either... OK.

Second, how many times is it going to take to get it through your thick skull, "I DIDN'T VOTE FOR BUSH, I DON'T LIKE BUSH?" Shit man... your wasting time spewing your favorite diatribe on me.

And third...

Bush says Democrats keep blocking his energy plans
Saturday, June 21, 2008 11:06 AM EDT
The Associated Press
By DEB RIECHMANN Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Bush is accusing Democrats in Congress of blocking his energy proposals, saying they are partly to blame for high gasoline costs pinching Americans' budgets.

In his Saturday radio address, Bush urged Congress to lift its long-standing ban on offshore oil and gas drilling to increase U.S. energy production. Democrats have rejected the idea.

"This is a difficult time for many American families," Bush said. "Rising gasoline prices and economic uncertainty can affect everything from what food parents put on the table to where they can go on vacation."

Bush said offshore drilling could yield up to 18 billion barrels of oil over time, although it would take years for production to start.

There are two prohibitions on offshore drilling, one imposed by Congress and another by executive order signed by Bush's father in 1990. Bush's brother, Jeb, fiercely opposed offshore drilling when he was governor of Florida. What the president now proposes would rescind his father's decision — but the president took the position that Congress had to act first and then he would follow behind.

Congressional Democrats have been quick to reject the push for lifting the drilling moratorium, saying oil companies already have under lease 68 million acres on federal lands and waters — outside the ban area — that are not being developed. Drilling proponents say that number is misleading because sometimes it takes years for actual development to take place.

Welcome to Charter.net - News

Last edited:

Forum List

Back