Annan Says World Agenda Needs Rebalancing

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
DAVOS, Switzerland - U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan (news - web sites) said Friday it was time to "rebalance" the international agenda after the war in Iraq (news - web sites) to prevent the fight against terrorism from worsening global divisions.

His warning at the World Economic Forum (news - web sites) preceded a call by U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft (news - web sites) for the "entirety of the world community" to help eliminate terrorism and establish freedom in Iraq.

The aftermath of the war and dealing with the threat of terrorism has been a running theme this year at the annual gathering of global business and political leaders in this Alpine resort.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=535&e=5&u=/ap/20040123/ap_on_re_eu/world_forum

I think Kofi is trying to keep his organization from going extinct.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
...It's not unreasonable to seek a paradigm shift. The current one doesn't seem to be working very well.
it's worked fine for me for 4 decades and will continue to do so if the correct policies are enforced.

actually I think that Annans disfunctional org is already there, saddam and co exposed the UN for what it has become...an old Lion with no teeth...has a loud roar but no bite or real strenth.

The U.N. is a rapidly decaying organization which has a three purposes: to legitamize totalitarian deposts by making them the equals of democratically elected leaders, to enable former world powers in their twilight years (ie, France) a way to cling to the remants of their past glory, and to employee countless bureaucrats at signicantly above world market wages, enabling them to live in a manner far beyond that of their fellow countrymen.

And we pay for it.

Well there's a concensus here, I concur: Pull US out of UN, better yet, pull UN out of US.

Waiting for ACLU, Psycho, or Bam....

had to post....my # of postings was the sign of BP.... the moment has passed and I feel better now..... Kathianne, do you think the UN could stand by it self with out us propping them up??? I would give them 6 months maybe less..

Japan is cutting their % effective 1/05. Think we should do the same. After that, the UN is kaput.

Seems to me the least we can expect is that the UN programs are working against our objectives.

I read an excellent column a few months ago about how the UN should relocate to some third world country to be more representative of the world. The bureaucrats who work for the UN live high on the hog - in much better style than the average citizens in their home countries. The UN could be run on a much smaller budget - and probably attract more sincere people - if it weren't such a plum assignment.

Hey WW, I tried to find a reference, no luck. My guess is the US administration isn't ready to give up on UN, even though many of citizens are.

The column was from a news site in the middle east. I wish I could remember which one. It was quite excellent.

Forum List

Back