Ann Romney Says Husband Has Deeply Principled Side No One Ever Sees In Public

But the frustration he recalled in 2007 does not match a sentiment he shared as a Massachusetts Senate candidate in 1994, when he told The Boston Herald, "I was not planning on signing up for the military."

"It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam, but nor did I take any actions to remove myself from the pool of young men who were eligible for the draft," Romney told the newspaper.

But that's exactly what Romney did, according Selective Service records. He received his first deferment for "activity in study" in October 1965 while at Stanford.

As Soltz notes, the younger Romney was under no obligation to seek a college-related deferment.

"Vietnam was a war that the poor and the people who couldn't afford to go to college had to go to," Soltz said.

After his first year at Stanford, Romney qualified for 4-D deferment status as "a minister of religion or divinity student." It was a status he would hold from July 1966 until February 1969, a period he largely spent in France working as a Mormon missionary.

He was granted the deferment even as some young Mormon men elsewhere were denied that same status, which became increasingly controversial in the late 1960s. The Mormon church, a strong supporter of American involvement in Vietnam, ultimately limited the number of church missionaries allowed to defer their military service using the religious exemption.

But as fighting in Vietnam raged, Romney spent two and a half years trying to win Mormon converts in France. About that same time, Romney's father would famously speak out against Vietnam, declaring that he had been "brainwashed" by military officials into supporting the conflict.

Young Romney's comments indicated his support had waned, too.

"If it wasn't a political blunder to move into Vietnam, I don't know what is," a 23-year-old Romney would tell The Boston Globe in 1970 during the fifth year of his deferment.

His 31-month religious deferment expired in early 1969. And Romney received an academic studies deferment for much of the next two years. He became available for military service at the end of 1970 when his deferments ran out and he could have been drafted. But by that time, America was beginning to slice its troop levels, and Romney's relatively high lottery number - 300 out of 365 - was not called.

http://www.13abc.com/story/18707908/romneys-non-military-record-faces-new-scrutiny

Retards.jpg

:rofl:

It is going to be great having a gracefully, witty and charming First Lady in the WH!

Ann-Romney.jpg

As opposed to a first lady whose presidential husband complains on television that her oral sex isn't up to his standards? Is that what you mean?

You know that lost him a few female votes.
You're a disgusting piece of shit.

He is a principled man. You see it in what he does. Unfortunately, the media doesnt like that story because it doesnt help the President.

And the LDS church is not a "weird religious sect", either. Romney is certainly a devoted husband & devoted father, also a man who doesn't drink alcohol, use drugs for pleasure, nor gamble. These are traits to be admired.

Last edited:
Listen here folks.

The practice of prematurely spilling the beans on parody posts must end. They are not fun unless we give the dummies enough time to submit their lame replies.

Patience, please.

/hangs head

I apologize profusely for any inconvenience my murderous rampage may have caused.

The victims are suing, I met all of them today.:lol:

HUNTSVILLE, UTAH (2002) -- USE OF PROFANITY WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT
On February 10, 2002, while overseeing 2002 Winter Olympics, ROMNEY became extremely angry upon encountering a traffic jam at a venue and proceeded to berate two persons authorized to direct traffic there, including with obscenity laced tirades, according to a police captain at the scene and a volunteer targeted by ROMNEY. The traffic volunteer Shaun Knopp stated that ROMNEY "asked me who the f___ I was and what the f___ I was doing. We got the Olympics going on we don't need this s___ down here."8 Weber County Sheriff's Office Capt. Terry Shaw, commander of the Snowbasin venue, stated that ROMNEY twice used the F-word while also berating one of his officers, Deputy Kodi Taggart. Capt. Shaw stated that ROMNEY "was abusive" to his officer and advised, unsuccessfully, that "he needs to apologize."9 ROMNEY denied part of the allegation, insisting he hadn't used the F-word since high school -- but admitted he used a word he described as "H-E-double hockey sticks." Disposition: The Utah Department of Safety advised it had decided against initiating a "profanity probe."

Bigger Fatter Politics: Romney's Rap Sheet: Romney's Criminal Record

Use of profanity regarding law enforcement is free speech. How old was he? This isn't multiple DUIs & battery like Cheney.

Friedemann entered Stevens Hall off the school’s collegiate quad to find Romney marching out of his own room ahead of a prep school posse shouting about their plan to cut Lauber’s hair. Friedemann followed them to a nearby room where they came upon Lauber, tackled him and pinned him to the ground. As Lauber, his eyes filling with tears, screamed for help, Romney repeatedly clipped his hair with a pair of scissors.

The incident was recalled similarly by five students, who gave their accounts independently of one another. Four of them — Friedemann, now a dentist; Phillip Maxwell, a lawyer; Thomas Buford, a retired prosecutor; and David Seed, a retired principal — spoke on the record. Another former student who witnessed the incident asked not to be identified. The men have differing political affiliations, although they mostly lean Democratic. Buford volunteered for Barack Obama’s campaign in 2008. Seed, a registered independent, has served as a Republican county chairman in Michigan. All of them said that politics in no way colored their recollections.

“It happened very quickly, and to this day it troubles me,” said Buford, the school’s wrestling champion, who said he joined Romney in restraining Lauber. Buford subsequently apologized to Lauber, who was “terrified,” he said. “What a senseless, stupid, idiotic thing to do.”

Mitt Romney’s prep school classmates recall pranks, but also troubling incidents - The Washington Post

“Mitt Romney: The Demon Barber of Cranbrook”

mitt-scissorhand-romney.jpg

Listen here folks.

The practice of prematurely spilling the beans on parody posts must end. They are not fun unless we give the dummies enough time to submit their lame replies.

Patience, please.

/hangs head

I apologize profusely for any inconvenience my murderous rampage may have caused.

The victims are suing, I met all of them today.:lol:

/hangs head further

Crap. :(

//digs toe in dirt

Forum List

Back