Animals can not be Murdered

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by RetiredGySgt, Apr 11, 2009.

1. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,973
    Sorry to burst any bubbles but you can kill an animal but you can not murder it. And the law will punish you if you do not have just cause to kill an animal but they will never charge you with murder.

2. FactFinder

FactFinder VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +237
    ...but those with the heart so cruel have a strong possiblity of taking that next step.

3. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,973
    I agree. In fact a lot of killers get started by killing animals first. Doesn't change the fact you can NOT murder an animal.

4. FactFinder

FactFinder VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I agree. Stiffen the penalties for heartless abuse but another step in the wrong direction would be to categorize the animal kingdom the same as the human one.

5. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    As was mentioned in another thread, what is the morally relevant difference between killing a human fetus and killing an animal with similar capacities for basic sentience and self-awareness?

And no, answering "A fetus is human," is not a legitimate response. I'm challenging the premise that human life is inherently superior to animal life, instead positing that the moral value of life should be determined by specific organisms' capacity to suffer. The vast majority of humans would thus remain superior to animals in this regard.

6. FactFinder

FactFinder VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +237
    One has human potential. Your argument could be extended to children.

7. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,973
    Humans ARE superior. And WE run the roost. Animals are USED by us. While I agree one can LOVE an animal, I have 3 dogs that are part of the family, they are NOT human.

Let me put it another way.... if we decide animals have human rights we will be unable to feed ourselves, make medical advances, create new sciences that require animal testing, etc etc etc.......

Declaring an animal can be murdered would be attributing to an animal the same rights as humans, which would mean the animals rights idiots would then have the foot hold to oppose killing animals for food, keeping pets, using animals in any experiment of any kind, claiming hitting an animal on the road was murder.... etc etc etc......

8. FactFinder

FactFinder VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +237
    another of those slippery slopes that too many are eager to fall there on. I guess they have no perception of what awaits at the bottom.

9. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Animals have rights if we say they do. We humans (this is not my cat typing this....although....) invented human rights, we can invent animal rights. We invented morality, we can extend it to wherever we wish. Granted some of those extensions might be a bit laughable but that's how rights work, we invented them, we get to say who has them.

10. FactFinder

FactFinder VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Since you have not proved the non existence of God, I'll stick with the God given rights. Thank you very much but fickle man can all too easily take them back.