Animals are suffering from Calif drought, too.

I have a LOT of birds visiting now. I make sure the birdbaths are full of fresh water and I bought 12 bags of bird seed that was on sale. Even hawks swoop down from time to time if they see a field mouse in the bird seed littering the dirt...where it used to be grass. All dirt now. The apple tree is not looking very good either.

I'd like to get out of california. Have a friend in Wyoming...and hope she has a spot for us to be caretakers of her properties.Much as I would miss the ocean...I need to be where water is. Watching wildlife die of thirst will freak me out as much as seeing flora and fauna struggle along with people.

California is going to turn into a dust bowl soon.

While I think that will change in the short term this year, overall, that is the direction that California is heading. This year has had less rain than normal in Portland, and been much warmer than usual. Snow pack in the mountains is way below normal, not as bad as California, but bad enough to plan for a fire summer. Eastside is a bit better, last I looked, they had 50% to 70% of their normal snowpack. In fact, I think I will look right now.

ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/or_swepctnormal.pdf

http://www.oregon.gov/owrd/WR/docs/05_04_15_drought_update.pdf

Worse than I thought. 7 of the eighteen river basins in drought unavoidable status, 4 more in drought likely status. Not going to be a good year for the farmers and ranchers in Oregon.

I think Mother Earth is just flat out tired of being shit on. Either she is dyin due to that, or fixing to show who is boss. I hope it's the latter.

Forum List

Back