animal survives boiling, freezing and space!

I heard that if we could somehow amplify the Earth's magnetosphere, it would block 100% of harmful UV rays, and that we would have aurora's over the equator.

Funny, but that is not necessary when trying to find a way out of this planet. Just delays the inevitable, if true, which it is not.

We need ways to survive outside of home... And the tardigrade provides very compelling things to pursue, to help us, survive...

Personally, I don't think finding a way off this planet should involve abandoning our home world, nor do I think colonizing Mars will do anything but create a money/resource pit.

I heard that if we could somehow amplify the Earth's magnetosphere, it would block 100% of harmful UV rays, and that we would have aurora's over the equator.

that is false, the suns UV is not affected the magnetic fields, and the aurora would actally move further towards the magnetic poles if anything

Ultraviolet radiation. The Sun is bathing the Earth in ultraviolet radiation; that’s why you get a sunburn. But the ozone layer is a special region of the atmosphere that absorbs much of this radiation. Without the ozone layer we would be much more exposed here on the surface of the Earth to UV rays, leading to eye damage and greater incidence of skin cancer.

How Does the Earth Protect Us From Space? - Universe Today
Ultraviolet Waves

It's a well known and established fact that the Earth's Magnetosphere is responsible for protecting us from all manner of cosmic rays, up to, and including, Gamma Rays, X-rays, and Ultraviolet Rays.

ozone is not part of the earth's magnetic field, it is a chemical substance high in the atmosphere, you are for some reason conflating them.

Electromagnetic radiation is not shielded by DC magnetic fields. Charged particles can be deflected and I think that is your confusion

that is false, the suns UV is not affected the magnetic fields, and the aurora would actally move further towards the magnetic poles if anything

Ultraviolet radiation. The Sun is bathing the Earth in ultraviolet radiation; that’s why you get a sunburn. But the ozone layer is a special region of the atmosphere that absorbs much of this radiation. Without the ozone layer we would be much more exposed here on the surface of the Earth to UV rays, leading to eye damage and greater incidence of skin cancer.

Ultraviolet Waves

It's a well known and established fact that the Earth's Magnetosphere is responsible for protecting us from all manner of cosmic rays, up to, and including, Gamma Rays, X-rays, and Ultraviolet Rays.

ozone is not part of the earth's magnetic field, it is a chemical substance high in the atmosphere, you are for some reason conflating them.

Electromagnetic radiation is not shielded by DC magnetic fields. Charged particles can be deflected and I think that is your confusion

Correction, I see the two as part of the same, single system. Without the Magnetosphere, there is no Ozone.

With a stronger Magnetosphere, chunks of the Ozone would not be blown away every time Sol sneezes.

Since the Magnetosphere has been steadily weakening for the last 200 or so years...

Funny, but that is not necessary when trying to find a way out of this planet. Just delays the inevitable, if true, which it is not.

We need ways to survive outside of home... And the tardigrade provides very compelling things to pursue, to help us, survive...

Personally, I don't think finding a way off this planet should involve abandoning our home world, nor do I think colonizing Mars will do anything but create a money/resource pit.
I agree. But eventually we're gonna need a way off this planet. Billions of years from now.

And we should never abandon our world. We need to do stuff to protect it! What that is, is heavily debated, and I'm not sure yet...

But we need to get from A to B first. And that heavily involves getting our shit together, and not blowing ourselves up for some made-up religion.

Because while radical fundamentalists still control people and threaten us, we will continue to heavily use fossil fules to protect ourselves.

So it's a catch-22 situation. We need to get rid of religion first, and the people that profit from it... :)

And then the dominos will fall in place.

Ultraviolet Waves

Photons from the Sun including ultraviolet are unaffected by a magnetic field and pass through it with no trouble at all. The solar wind is made of particles and is affected by the magnetosphere. Our magnetosphere is declining and a magnetic flip is due.

The magnetosphere will only protect us from low-energy particles and low-level radiation. It cannot do anything against a direct solar burst or cosmic ray. We'll be toast when that happens! :)

But hopefully not for a long time. And we can continue to develop ways to survive in the meantime!

Last edited:

Ultraviolet Waves

Correction, I see the two as part of the same, single system. Without the Magnetosphere, there is no Ozone.

With a stronger Magnetosphere, chunks of the Ozone would not be blown away every time Sol sneezes.

Since the Magnetosphere has been steadily weakening for the last 200 or so years...

that makes more sense.

high energy photons are also unaffected by magnetic fields, but fortunately the atmosphere is thick enough to scatter and absorb

It's been a while since I previously had got out my microscope, but a couple weeks ago, I happened to notice a puddle near my apartment that looked full of life, so I sampled it.

I was aware that tardigrades were supposed to be fairly ubiquitous, but never before had I actually observed a live one. In this sample, I saw several.

zPICT0052.JPG
zPICT0132.JPG
zPICT0205.JPG

Here, I learned something new about them. Picture below, was something that seemed lifeless, dead. With a little research, I learned that in most species,teh female water bear lays her eggs inside her cuticle, just before she molts, and the eggs remain in the cuticle. That's what I was seeing here, teh cast off cuticleof a female water bear, with her eggs inside of it.

zPICT0107.JPG

I also saw some other forms of life, of course.

Cyanobacteria (formerly called “blue-green algae”, but that term is now deprecated. It's no longer considered algae, but bacteria.)

zPICT0064.JPG

Gastrotrichs:

zPICT0092.JPG
zPICT0099.JPG

Bdelloid rotifers:

zPICT0197.JPG

It's been a while since I previously had got out my microscope, but a couple weeks ago, I happened to notice a puddle near my apartment that looked full of life, so I sampled it.

I was aware that tardigrades were supposed to be fairly ubiquitous, but never before had I actually observed a live one. In this sample, I saw several.

Here, I learned something new about them. Picture below, was something that seemed lifeless, dead. With a little research, I learned that in most species,teh female water bear lays her eggs inside her cuticle, just before she molts, and the eggs remain in the cuticle. That's what I was seeing here, teh cast off cuticleof a female water bear, with her eggs inside of it.

I also saw some other forms of life, of course.

Cyanobacteria (formerly called “blue-green algae”, but that term is now deprecated. It's no longer considered algae, but bacteria.)

Gastrotrichs:

Bdelloid rotifers

Nice, thanks.

How about some pics from samples in Bill Clintons underwear?

It makes you wonder, what makes an animal different from a multi-celled organism. That's awesome stuff!

lol!

Well... then ask him what one tectonic plate said to the other when they bumped into each other...

:)

Forum List

Back