Animal Rights, Yes or No

thats a bunch of horse shit, the doeton. We don't lock anyone up for running over a dog. It's the cruelty aspect that we extend, not some burden to treat animals on par with human beings. My dog reacts to pain. so what. that doesn't mean he has the mental capacity of a person. He's got a personality limited by his DOG BRAIN. That doesn't make him equivalent to a human. In case you didnt know, there are slaughter houses all over the place.

I agree with that 100%. Also, what I've found in dealing with animal loonies (the pig is a dog is a horse is a boy crowd) is that they have little to no feelings for humans. Because, let's face it. We have limited amounts of time to be activist, if at all. Expending that time and energy on a chicken instead of on children in need speaks volumes.

Hey, if some people care more about treatment of chickens than kids, what's wrong with that? Maybe they were mistreated by humans all their lives. At least they care about something.
In my own experience it seems to me that people who care about animal welfare are actually more likely than people who don't, to also care about children. I think it makes no sense to say all activism should be for children's causes even if you don't personally like animals. If you treat pets and livestock humanely you set a good example for kids who will grow up knowing the benefits of animal companionship and you also provide them with a safer, more nutritious food supply.

Like Echo points out, cruelty to animals often indicates a potential tendancy to sadism towards humans.

but killing animals in order to eat them is hardly a matter of cruelty.

don't be dishonest shogun.

you know i never said animals should have the same exact same rights as humans. i thought you'd matured...

i'm merely taking issue with the suggestion that animals rights are merely something we extend to them.

when it fact those rights are self evident.

again it is wrong to treat animals cruelly, not because of the law. but due to their sentience.

Nobody is saying it is. The OP asked if we should treat animals that are raised to be eaten more humane, until they are ready for the old slaughter house.

My opinion is yes, they should be.

Then you can have a crueltry free steak!

How would you vote on this measure?

In a world in which animal rights are gaining ground, barbecue season should make me feel guilty. My hunch is that in a century or two, our descendants will look back on our factory farms with uncomprehending revulsion. But in the meantime, I love a good burger.

This comes up because the most important election this November that you’ve never heard of is a referendum on animal rights in California, the vanguard state for social movements. Proposition 2 would ban factory farms from raising chickens, calves or hogs in small pens or cages.

Livestock rights are already enshrined in the law in Florida, Arizona, Colorado and here in Oregon, but California’s referendum would go further and would be a major gain for the animal rights movement. And it’s part of a broader trend. Burger King announced last year that it would give preference to suppliers that treat animals better, and when a hamburger empire expostulates tenderly about the living conditions of cattle, you know public attitudes are changing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/31/opinion/31kristof.html?th&emc=th

I am for animal rights, as long as they are not put ahead of Humans rights, or the needs of Humans which animals help us fill.

I have a Beagle. Her name is Sealy. She is so funny. Barks for food because she always gets her way. And then people feel sorry for her when I tell her to shut up. Like she knows that word is offensive. I could say YOU ARE PRETTY in the same tone and it would mean the same thing to her.

She goes around to neighbors because the give her treats. She'll stare at them through their doorwalls to see if they are eating. Just like her liberal dad, always looking for a free handout. LOL.

My parents spoil her too. When I go on trips, they watch her. She NEVER wants to leave. I practically have to drag her out. But then she doesn't get to sleep in the bed over there and they don't scratch her because the don't want the hairs flying.

One time 4 monster dogs saw us and came charging. I froze. When they surrounded me, my only concern was Sealy. She was already back by the car, about a mile away. So much for loyalty. But she's smart. I'll give her that. LOL. The little bitch left me hanging.

nice!

So where do you get the second half of your name?

That depends on the method chosen for raising them and slaughtering them. It may not exactly be sadism but it can be unnecessarily cruel.

Can you show me that it does? People don't need to eat meat, you know, to keep from starving.

Just as I'm sure tigers don't don't 'need' to eat meat either...

Using need, or lack of, to justify anything is a poor argument in a free society.

what i always find interesting about animal issues.

is how over protective people get when it comes to eating meat.

it's like they feel a little guilt that they refuse to admit to...

Because the property was damaged...because "feelings" have nothing to do with crime. You can't criminally hurt someone's feelings by beating them to death. Beating a person to death is committing murder. Beating an animal to death is property destruction, and perhaps animal cruelty..

ok, i've got time to tear into little allie...

:lol::lol::lol:

and perhaps animal cruelty?:lol:

seriously allie try it. take an animal downtown and beat it to death.

just tell folks it's your animal.

your property.

and your right.
:clap2::tongue:

:cuckoo:

Why are there always some people who think we should be limited only to what we must have for survival?

If we quit eating meat, what will happen to all the cows, sheep, goats, pigs, chickens, etc.? Who will feed them? Will we turn them loose to starve? Kill them and burn the bodies? If we aren't eating them, and we're feeding them, then we aren't going to have enough to eat ourselves.

ok, i've got time to tear into little allie...

:lol::lol::lol:

and perhaps animal cruelty?:lol:

seriously allie try it. take an animal downtown and beat it to death.

just tell folks it's your animal.

your property.

and your right.
:clap2::tongue:

:cuckoo:

I believe I mentioned animal cruelty. Which is also a crime.

:cuckoo: yourself.

I believe I mentioned animal cruelty. Which is also a crime.

:cuckoo: yourself.

yeah you mentioned

hahah.

and missed the point that it complete contradicts your initial statement. "because "feelings" have nothing to do with crime."

that's why you get the :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back