ANIMAL KINGDOM- Compilation of my friends!

Buck deer, Canada geese, tom Turkeys, and rabbits make my mouth water.

I can take these with either archery or gun.

What is the apex predator up there in Maine?

The black bear?

The coyote?

The mountain lion?

I am guessing the black bear.

The black bear?

The coyote?

The mountain lion?

Well, I am thinking Coyote....near where I am....supposedly there are NO Mountain lions in Maine....(no poisonous snakes either in the whole State) we do have a Black bear that has visited our property, once a year for the past 6 years...a beautiful bear/creature...she/he was trying to get black sun flower bird seed out of a small shed we have, just steps from the back deck and kitchen window....I wish I had my camera to take a pic.... I always have my camera ready, but missed the bear pic because the hubby and I were just temporarily frozen when looking at him/her through the window...then we knew we needed to shoo her/him away so we ran out the back door and yelled really loud at him/her? and she turned around and smiled at us, with this look of "oops, I got caught" and then ran away.... it had the most beautiful, endearing face...I'm not kidding...what a gorgeous animal....but I think the back bears around here have so much vegetation food to eat most of the summer and fall that is readily available to them, plus fish in the brook right across the meadow in front that they may not go after the wildlife or my kitty? (I hope, I hope, I hope! :) )

One of my neighbors down the dirt road has seen the coyotes hanging out on his property, (he has 100 acres) and he tried to scare them away several times...because he has a toddler daughter and the two coyotes did not even budge when he tried to shoo them and even came closer to them, so he did not like that one bit and then next time they came to his home he shot and killed them....

The State has wolves also, and in the northern woods lots of other mean animals such as badgers/ wolverine I believe...? We do have a weasel near by that I spotted this past winter...it was all white, to match the snow...like the rabbits become white in the winter, but then molt and turn to brown in the summer months....

My husband and I have now lived here in Maine for 9 years, we lived the city and big city life for near all of our marriage and lives prior to moving here, and never in a million years when we were younger thought that we would like living this rural country woods lifestyle...and even though there are no good paying jobs here, we wouldn't trade this wonderful, beautiful, peaceful, uncrowded lifestyle for anything!!!

We have several wild apple trees that the deer feed off of during the fall and we collect wild apples from the apple trees on the beach we go to, so to continue feeding them after our apples on our property are all eaten....my neighbor thanks us for fattening the deer up for him.... :eek:....hahahaha! I told him he better not be killing my deer!!! He just smiled.....

Last edited:

The black bear?

The coyote?

The mountain lion?

Well, I am thinking Coyote....near where I am....supposedly there are NO Mountain lions in Maine....(no poisonous snakes either in the whole State) we do have a Black bear that has visited our property, once a year for the past 6 years...a beautiful bear/creature...she/he was trying to get black sun flower bird seed out of a small shed we have, just steps from the back deck and kitchen window....I wish I had my camera to take a pic.... I always have my camera ready, but missed the bear pic because the hubby and I were just temporarily frozen when looking at him/her through the window...then we knew we needed to shoo her/him away so we ran out the back door and yelled really loud at him/her? and she turned around and smiled at us, with this look of "oops, I got caught" and then ran away.... it had the most beautiful, endearing face...I'm not kidding...what a gorgeous animal....but I think the back bears around here have so much vegetation food to eat most of the summer and fall that is readily available to them, plus fish in the brook right across the meadow in front that they may not go after the wildlife or my kitty? (I hope, I hope, I hope! :) )

One of my neighbors down the dirt road has seen the coyotes hanging out on his property, (he has 100 acres) and he tried to scare them away several times...because he has a toddler daughter and the two coyotes did not even budge when he tried to shoo them and even came closer to them, so he did not like that one bit and then next time they came to his home he shot and killed them....

The State has wolves also, and in the northern woods lots of other mean animals such as badgers/ wolverine I believe...? We do have a weasel near by that I spotted this past winter...it was all white, to match the snow...like the rabbits become white in the winter, but then molt and turn to brown in the summer months....

My husband and I have now lived here in Maine for 9 years, we lived the city and big city life for near all of our marriage and lives prior to moving here, and never in a million years when we were younger thought that we would like living this rural country woods lifestyle...and even though there are no good paying jobs here, we wouldn't trade this wonderful, beautiful, peaceful, uncrowded lifestyle for anything!!!

We have several wild apple trees that the deer feed off of during the fall and we collect wild apples from the apple trees on the beach we go to, so to continue feeding them after our apples on our property are all eaten....my neighbor thanks us for fattening the deer up for him.... :eek:....hahahaha! I told him he better not be killing my deer!!! He just smiled.....
If you want to see more bears, just put together a few hives of honey bees. :biggrin:

The black bear?

The coyote?

The mountain lion?

If you want to see more bears, just put together a few hives of honey bees. :biggrin:
Our Black Bear did NOT come back this Spring... Of course I was prepared this year, with the camera next to the kitchen sink window at all times....first time he or she was a no show in the past 7 years....I hope he or she is okay and alive and did not get killed during Bear Hunting season! :eek: :(

The black bear?

The coyote?

The mountain lion?

Our Black Bear did NOT come back this Spring... Of course I was prepared this year, with the camera next to the kitchen sink window at all times....first time he or she was a no show in the past 7 years....I hope he or she is okay and alive and did not get killed during Bear Hunting season! :eek: :(
Its possible, but likely that the bear is just on the other side of their territory. I'm not sure how large a stake a bear makes. I thnk I read once that black bears can range outward of 20 miles or more.

You managed to get My curiosity up. So here we go.

The home range of a female black bear is typically 2.5 to 10 square miles (6.4-25.9 square kilometers). Male black bears range over much larger areas and home ranges are 10 to 59 square miles (26-152 square kilometers). Female black bears generally will not share their territory with other females, but the ranges of several males may overlap with hers.

Taken from Black Bear Biology & Behavior - Western Wildlife Outreach

Your pictures are great! Such a variety of birds too. As you know, I live in MA, and I don't think I've ever seen one of those little red birds in your picture.
Pretty sure it's known as a purple finch. I used to see quite a few when I was living inland.

Forum List

Back