Angry and Needing Advice

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
Okay, so, as I'm sure a couple of people have noticed, I'm a bit grouchy tonight (not always a bad thing, as my insults get creative when I'm pissed off). The reason is, as so many people list, my boss. It's not that I hate bosses in general. In fact, this is the first one I've had that I didn't just adore. She insists on doing all the ordering and we're constantly running out of crap. She micromanages everybody about everything because we're apparantly too stupid to figure out that trash needs emptying and samples need refilling, nevermind the fact that we've go a billion customers waiting for their crap while she gets all pissy about how long it's been since we've checked the temperature on the coolers.

Then, she doesn't value our time. She changes our schedules constantly without notification or consent, then gets all pissy when *surprise* we're half an hour late...unless you count the schedule that was posted yesterday morning as opposed to yesterday afternoon, which is, of course, the one in the time clock. She even tried to call me into work on a Saturday on my day off while I was spending the day with my dad who I hadn't seen in a month (his boss sucked, too, until he got reassigned). And what pressing business did I need to cancel my entire day and drive 45 miles back home for? To get my EMPLOYEE EVALUATION, a whole five minutes worth of stuff I could be doing better, and apparantly the entire building would fall apart if it waited until Monday (I was working on Sunday, but, of course, she was above coming in on her day off to handle an evaluation). That is, of course, until the paper tiger got on the phone with somebody who could prove he was more important than her (that would be my dad), after which she admitted that it could wait until Monday. She also gave the highest evaluation score to a woman who refuses to work any more than 5 hours a day, 5 days a week, and never on weekends (no matter what), and usually spends most of her shift being slow, ignoring customers, and ordering people around, the lowest evaluation score went to the guy who is probably the best employee in the whole department, with the exception of his availability (he's still finishing up all of the requirements of his release on a drug charge).

Well, now, she's crossed the line, and quite a line, at that. On Monday, I took over the chicken side of the deli (did I mention I work in a Publix [grocery store] deli?) for a little while between the time the day shift guy left (same guy mentioned above) and the closing shift woman came in (same woman mentioned above, but that's not important to the story). When the day shift guy left, the hot case was full and the only items that weren't patently 'fresh' both had batches cooking. On his way out, he took care of recording the production on the computer, and then left. Now, this was about the time of the usual dinner rush we get, and in about 15 minutes time, the chicken tenders got low and we ran out of fried potato wedges (or 'home fries,' if you prefer). About this time, our fearless leader walked in and commented on the case. I said that it happened pretty fast, that it was pretty typical of the time of day and day of the week (nobody who works wants to cook on Monday), and that I had it handled. She said that she wasn't criticizing me, but rather the guy who had just left, and that he shouldn't have left the case 'so empty.' I reiterated that the sales had happened pretty fast and stated that when he left, the case was full. She replied by saying that I "Didn't need to cover for [name of the guy]." Needless to say, I was pissed. With no evidence or reason to doubt what I had said, and with no pattern or even incident of dishonesty from me in the past, she just accused me of lying simply because I contradicted her foregone conclusion. Well, at first, I thought she was joking, but defended myself, just in case. However, I soon found out that she was not joking at all. This verbal horn-locking didn't end until a couple of my fellow employees stood up for me, stating plainly that I was honest and that I don't lie, so she dropped it.

Well, I assumed that she realized that she didn't have a reason to doubt my word and we both went on with life. However, I found out today that she chewed the guy out for over an hour for leaving without filling up the hot case, flying directly in the face of what I had said and once again accusing both of us of lying with no facts in evidence to support that. I'm pissed. I'm insulted. I feel like letting the rage fly.

Anyway, now to the advice. My dad says that since I confronted her about her accusation and she still decided to act on the conclusion that I was lying (at the expense of another person's evaluation, no less), that it's time I go over her head instead of, yet again, confronting her with something she's done that has bothered me (this would be the fourth time for three seperate events). So...thought? Comments? To be honest, I feel better just having gotten it off my chest.

Your father is right. You need to go above her, you directly confronted her once she didn't change, it is time to take it up the ladder. If the next step gives you no satisfaction do not stop...

Your father is right. You need to go above her, you directly confronted her once she didn't change, it is time to take it up the ladder. If the next step gives you no satisfaction do not stop...

I don't think I'll have to go any higher than that. Both the store manager and the assisstant (who was my boss back when I was on the stock crew) have bullcrap detectors on the level with Judge Mathis, and are pretty cool guys most of the time (the assisstant was kind of a jerk when he first got the job, but he's settled down). Anyway, thanks for the confirmation. My dad's a smart guy, so I was assuming he was right. Thinking back on it, I think I posted this more just to vent than to actually seek advice on the situation, but I always feel better about my decisions if I get a little affirmation.

My dad says that since I confronted her about her accusation and she still decided to act on the conclusion that I was lying (at the expense of another person's evaluation, no less), that it's time I go over her head

Thats exactly what I started thinking about halfway through.

You do it right and you might even wind up with her job, if you want it.

Chances are whoever is above her might already be aware of most of her problems, but they don't have anyone to replace her and/or enough people complaning about her to them to do anything about it. Which leaves you stuck with the status quo.

My boss lives for that kind of stuff :

"Now. Tracy. You did a number of things wrong here".

"No I didn't"

"Yes you did"

"Prove it"

Followed by silence. :laugh:

Forum List

Back