Angle referrs to Social Security as WELFARE!

It's welfare whether you like it or not.

You are wrong. Using your definition of welfare, if you deducted a portion of your mortage when you itemized your taxes, you were taking welfare. Did you do that?

You are wrong. Using your definition of welfare, if you deducted a portion of your mortage when you itemized your taxes, you were taking welfare. Did you do that?
Pretty much...You're taking what amounts to payola for propping up the mortgage banking racket, which is now nearly 100% run by you-know-who.

Now, back to the thread subject...Since most recipients of SS end up receiving more in benefits than they ever put in within a few years, it ends up being a defacto welfare program.

But schlubbs like you just love social welfare handouts, so what's the big deal anyways?

"...you deducted a portion of your mortage when you itemized your taxes, you were taking welfare..."

NO ! I live in Canada, thank God, and we pay our taxes that's why we aren't a bankrupt nation wholly owned by the Chinese. Soon you'll be speaking their language, driving their cars, and working in their laundrys.

Reid will win. It is the one sure election for the Dems in the Senate this fall.

Reid will win. It is the one sure election for the Dems in the Senate this fall.

Yes, and I am no big Reid fan, but when the GOP caved to the Tea Baggers, it spelled their doom in November.

Pretty much...You're taking what amounts to payola for propping up the mortgage banking racket, which is now nearly 100% run by you-know-who.

Now, back to the thread subject...Since most recipients of SS end up receiving more in benefits than they ever put in within a few years, it ends up being a defacto welfare program.

But schlubbs like you just love social welfare handouts, so what's the big deal anyways?

Oh Dooodeeee....... If I put money in an interest bearing account, is that welfare when I recieve more than I put in?

However, I intend to live long enough to make sure that the SS I recieve represents a very high rate of interest. And continue to point out what bullshit dumb asses like you spew.:lol:

Guess what Sharon, Social Security funds have been stolen for years. Just ask your hero George W. Bush. He tried to pay for the Iraq war with the money. Wait! We borrowed that also, didn't we?

So when is the Iraq oil money going to start paying us back for our war efforts there? W said it would, didn't he?

Shortly before that trillion dollars worth of stategic materials is going to pay for the Afghanistani war.

Also known as never.

Harry Reid on the Attack, but Still Lags Sharron Angle in Polls - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

The mentality of this woman is something else! She is smartly beginning to deny some of her previous stances. You know, sort of how McCain hugged Bush to gain the 2008 GOP nomination. How did that work our for him, anyway?
Her statements on cutting social security, Medicare, and welfare might work in a Republican primary, but in a general election in a state with 14% unemployment, advocating cutting the safety nets that low paid workers depend on isn't going to work.

You are aware that Ravi and several other liberals on this board believe that not only Social Security is welfare but that military retirement pay is also?

Really? I would love to hear them comment on that.
:lol: He's an idiot. SS is not welfare, it is a return of money taken out of your paycheck

Fail. Your SS payments come from MY CHECK and mine would come from the next generation's.

Well, that's how it was supposed to work.

Also, you have no right to SS no matter how long you pay into it. They can deny anyone at any time fro any reason.

Oh Dooodeeee....... If I put money in an interest bearing account, is that welfare when I recieve more than I put in?

You'd have a point if it weren't for the fact that SS works nothing like that
However, I intend to live long enough to make sure that the SS I recieve represents a very high rate of interest.

There's no guarantee you'll ever receive SS. You have no legal right to benefits.

Now JB, I am recieving full benefits right now and also working full time. Well, if you think that any politician would survive cutting off SS, you don't understand the American people.

Harry Reid on the Attack, but Still Lags Sharron Angle in Polls - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

The mentality of this woman is something else! She is smartly beginning to deny some of her previous stances. You know, sort of how McCain hugged Bush to gain the 2008 GOP nomination. How did that work our for him, anyway?
Her statements on cutting social security, Medicare, and welfare might work in a Republican primary, but in a general election in a state with 14% unemployment, advocating cutting the safety nets that low paid workers depend on isn't going to work.

I see so many Republicans and Conservatives making this kind of statement, with absolutely no concept of the damage that they would be doing to the people that are presently unemployed due to no fault of their own.

Now JB, I am recieving full benefits right now and also working full time. Well, if you think that any politician would survive cutting off SS, you don't understand the American people.

Then the American people are retarded.

SS as it exists should be abolished. All it is is a tax people are tricked into accepting because they might possibly get money later although there's no guarantee or legal right to benefits.

Given what we saw in the First Great Republican Depression, I think that Social Security is one of the greatest social inventions ever. This gaurantees that no matter how the greedy mess up the finances of the nation, the American Worker will have something at the end of his career. Both in that Depression, and in this Reccession, there were all too many that saw there investments go to nothing, just at the time they had no income. And, if you are over 50 years old, it is a bit late to build a nest egg.

Both my grandfathers lost everything during the Great Depression. I am far more fortunate in this one, just having to put off retirement a bit. But I see many friends that are my age that are in real dire straights, whose home values are far under water, and whose pensions from the companies that they worked for for decades, have evaporated.

Given the events of the last 100 years, there is far better reason to trust our government than our businessmen.

You are aware that Ravi and several other liberals on this board believe that not only Social Security is welfare but that military retirement pay is also?

the differences are only semantic.

all of these programs tax some people and cut checks to others. what's the difference?

So, yes and no. "Social Security is a statutory entitlement program. Beneficiaries have a legal entitlement to receive Social Security benefits as set forth under the Social Security Act. However, the fact that Social Security benefits are financed by taxes on an employee’s wages does not limit Congress’s power to fix the levels of benefits under the Social Security Act, or the conditions upon which they may be paid."

Congressional Research Service, "http://aging.senate.gov/crs/ss2.pdf"

Forum List

Back