Angels In America

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
This mini-series is one of the few that really live up to the praise and acolades awarded to it. A searing look at the effect of AIDS on the gay community in the 80's, as well as the broader American society, it has several incredible performances but Meryl Streep performed beyond my wildest dreams in her multi-role effort. If anything, watch this for her performance. Al Pacino plays the role of Roy Cohn, the closet homosexual who was once McCarthy's assistant during the infamous time of the late 40's and 50's. I thought Pacino would overdo it again and ruin the movie, but he came through with a brutal performance that made the resolution of Cohn's life and choices that much more powerful and thought-provoking. If you've got six hours to give to a great mini-series over a few nights, I strongly suggest this be the one to watch.

(notice how i never watch movies alone)
I watched it with a Chaplain and several other personnel who had duty earlier this week (we were bored and too wired to hit the rack at 2100)and all had to muster at 0300 for a counterterrorism drill onbase. Though a good number of these people were pretty conservative in their religious views, they found the movie eloquent and effective in its message of compassion and humanity.

Forum List

Back