Andy Rooney Dead at 92

jillian

Princess
Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
(CNN) -- Longtime CBS News commentator Andy Rooney has died, CBS News reported Saturday. he was 92.
He had been hospitalized after suffering "serious complications" following minor surgery last month.
Rooney got his start in journalism during World War II, when he wrote for the "Stars and Stripes," and joined CBS in 1949 as a writer for Arthur Godfrey's radio and television entertainment show.
He went on to collaborate between 1962 and 1968 on a series of essays with his friend the late newsman Harry Reasoner.
He joined "60 Minutes" in 1978, according to CBS, beginning decades of show-ending essays on topics as varied as looking for a job ("We need people who can actually do things. We have too many bosses and too few workers. More college graduates ought to become plumbers or electricians, then go home at night and read Shakespeare."); his bushy eyebrows ("I try to look nice. I comb my hair, I tie my tie, I put on a jacket, but I draw the line when it comes to trimming my eyebrows. You work with what you got."); the "shock and awe" campaign that started the Iraq war in 2003 (the phrase "makes us look like foolish braggarts.")
Rooney announced on Oct. 2, 2011 in his 1,097th essay for "60 Minutes" that he would no longer appear regularly.

CBS commentator Andy Rooney dies at 92 - CNN.com

RIP to a unique and sharp voice.

In looking at the thread, I have to say

don't you hate it when you hit the wrong key on your keyboard and mess up the thead title?

(i am enjoying the irony of having to write that. cheers, andy! have a good journey).

Last edited:
Damn. Heard he went in for a simple procedure. Thought he was gonna pull through.

maybe he had nothing to look forward to after retirement so figured he wanted to move on. :dunno:

but i did read the other day there were "complications" from the procedure. i guess at 92, nothing is simple.

Damn. Heard he went in for a simple procedure. Thought he was gonna pull through.

maybe he had nothing to look forward to after retirement so figured he wanted to move on. :dunno:

but i did read the other day there were "complications" from the procedure. i guess at 92, nothing is simple.

He had a good long and productive life. Just thought he might get a little more retirement time in.

I liked the guy.

He had a good long and productive life. Just thought he might get a little more retirement time in.

I liked the guy.
They say when you retire completely your time is short after that.

There was a time in the late 70s and 80s when Andy Rooney commentary was cutting edge. It was common to go into the office Monday morning and say..."Did you hear what Rooney said last night?"

The guy was an original

In looking at the thread, I have to say

don't you hate it when you hit the wrong key on your keyboard and mess up the thead title?

(i am enjoying the irony of having to write that. cheers, andy! have a good journey).

My thought was the 02 was in reference to the hour he passed.

Rooney...RIP.
He will be a hard act to follow!

Did you ever wonder about people who die at 92?

What is is with those guys, anyway?

Did they just lose steam on their way to centenaria?

Or perhaps, they were just tired of getting up in the middle of the night to pee three or four times?

At any rate I'm dead now, and at 92 and I just want to remind my dead fans that if you meet me in heaven, please don't yell out my name.

This was Andy Rooney signing off

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekRZot2CFzM"]60 Second Countdown Video - YouTube[/ame]​

I always loved Andy Rooney and am saddened by his passing.

As a young child I watched how he considered things thoughtfully and with good humor...He made me laugh often and I will never forget him...May he rest in peace!

RIP Andy Rooney. You were an admirable guy who lived your life and times, according to your perspective, and managed to keep an audience of millions, looking forward to your broadcasts. You had a special gift and you worked hard to keep it interesting. "Thanks for the memories."

since I am not into celeb worship his death hits me about the same as anyone elses death whom I did not know personally.
In other words not much.

People die every day.

Forum List

Back