Andy Griffith died

Sad to see

I grew up with Sheriff Andy and loved the interaction he had with Ron Howard. It was great TV

The show out-dates me by quite a bit, but it was still getting a solid syndication rotation while I was growing up so I saw a good amount of it.

When I hear people tell me how great it was to grow up in the 50's I think of Mayberry.

I think of Polio.

The show out-dates me by quite a bit, but it was still getting a solid syndication rotation while I was growing up so I saw a good amount of it.

When I hear people tell me how great it was to grow up in the 50's I think of Mayberry.

I think of Polio.

Wrong decade. The vaccine was created in 1950.

But was not widely available in rural areas till the late 50's.

I recall the sugar cubes with polio vaccine.

I think I was 8 or nine when the health dept gave them out en mass.

You must remember that I was in high school before girls were allowed to wear pants to school.
I wonder how many of todays women would really want the 50's back?

Last edited:
Anyone remember Lonesome Rhodes in "A Face in the Crowd"?

Out of character and a great political role showing the effect of media on politics

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJGUm9e_BLU&feature=fvwrel"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJGUm9e_BLU&feature=fvwrel[/ame]

Last edited:
Andy Griffith: Ron Howard reminisces about learning from him - latimes.com

Early in the second season of "The Andy Griffith Show," I ventured a suggestion for a line change to make it sound more "like the way a kid would say it."

I was just 7 years old. But my idea was accepted and I remember standing frozen, thrilled at what this moment represented to me.

Andy asked me, "What you grinnin' at, youngin'?" I said it was the first idea of mine they'd ever said yes to. Without a pause, Andy responded for all to hear: "It was the first idea that was any damn good. Now let's do the scene."

Luissa wrote: Never watched the Andy Griffith show much, but did watch Matlock a lot.

You can catch some of the old episodes on retro channels such as MeTV...

... yer really missin' out if ya haven't seen the ones with Don Knotts as Deputy Barney Fife.

Andy is gone but not forgotten!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNxLxTZHKM8]Andy Griffith Football Story from 1953 - YouTube[/ame]
:cool:

Last edited:
We watched part of the Andy Griffith Show marathon that TVLand ran after his death. Absolute CLASSIC comedy. Wholesome. Funny. Poignant. Brought back a lot of wonderful memories.

After Don Knotts left the show, it went downhill, which was a shame. Just the whole premise of the show was hilarious. Andy played the "straight man" to Barney. Barney was the bumbling deputy who carried an unloaded revolver, with one bullet in his shirt pocket. Then you had Aunt Bee, the town drunk who would let himself out of the local jail after he slept off his "binge", Opie and his subplots, and a whole cast of small town characters.

CLASSIC television that will NEVER be repeated, and nobody should ever attempt to.

As a footnote, Ernest Borgnine also died this past week, at the age of 95. He was also a legendary character actor, on TV and in the movies. He won an Academy Award early in his acting career, then he, of course, was the star of McHale's Navy in the 60s, and appeared in many,many movies for many decades.

I always liked Borgnine. You could never tell he was "acting'. An absolute natural, and a funny man too.

If you get a chance, watch "Marty", the movie that earned Borgnine an Academy Award. CLASSIC!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back