Andrew WK

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
I was going through my old CD's the other day and found Andrew WK's "I Get Wet". I popped it in and realized once again why I love this CD oh so much. Basically a 28-minute long shot of adrenaline, Andrew WK's apparent plan with this CD (and in life) is to make you want to party. That's it. The music is a weird mix of 80's metal and a very slight tinge of techno. The CD came out right after 9/11, a perfect time I think. THat was a time when everyone needed someone to just slap them in the face and say, "you're alive, be happy, have fun!!!!" The lyrics are among the most intentionally awful lyrics ever. WK clocks in with three songs with the word 'party' in the title ("It's Time to Party", "Party Hard", "Party Til You Puke"). Is it smart? No. Is it elegant? No. But, in a time where the radiowaves are jammed with hundreds of bands who can't stop whining about their problems (Staind, Limp Bizkit, I'm looking in your direction), it's really refreshing to find someone so fully devoted to simply having a good time and making you have one too.

Yeah, I own that CD myself and I do like it but it's one of those that gets old rather quickly. Honestly I haven't listened to it in a year or so. He's got a new one coming out this year entitled The Wolf. It'll be interesting to see if it picks up where the last one left off or if it will be different. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it sucks only because oh so often the first album is the best and the subsequent ones just suck.

He's got a new one coming out this year entitled The Wolf.

The Wolf's actually been out for a while, I bought it around March or so.

It is, indeed, different, but in a good way. It's still got that signature WK sound, but the songs generally have a much slower tempo. It's still big, stupid rock, though. All the songs sound like they could play over the end credits of some lame 80's movie, and I mean that as a compliment. I'd recommend it, it really is feel-good music.

Forum List

Back