Andrew Johnson

He's not wrong.
Yes he is.

The fact is, blacks in the North were no better off than blacks in the South.
Two things wrong with that, the first is it isn't true, Blacks did not have to endure Jim Crowe in the north at that time. The second is it isn't what I said.

White America was openly racist at the time. Those that were not were a small minority.
Doesn't change the fact that Johnson allowed the same southerners who rebelled back into power, nor did he lift a finger to stop the birth of orgs like the clan.

Andrew Johnson was guilty of nothing more than trying to implement Lincoln's plan.
There is a reason why we call him the worst president in history.

You are incorrect. Jim Crow Laws did not exist until after Reconstruction ended. Blacks DID suffer the SAME racial prejudice in the North they did in the South.

Johnson did not allow the Southerners who rebelled back into power as my link above clearly points out.

IMO, he was not the worst President in US History. Since Congress emasculated him and usurped his authority, that is a factually incorrect judgment.

Absolute BULLSHIT.
Yes, you have been posting bullshit, and I wish you would stop, it's getting silly.

Once again under Reconstruction the South was NOT allowed to have its old leaders at all. In fact numerous Republicans were elected, including Blacks. So I REPEAT, what leaders did Johnson put back in power that were around after 1866? Come on can not be to hard for you to prove. Try.
I already suceeded, a few posts ago, you keep choosing to insist I am wrong, as well as every single presidential historian.

Trying to rewrite history is silly, as I have said to Gunny a few times, you can't rewrite history to suit you, and there is good reason why he's considered the worst US president ever.

Absolute BULLSHIT.
Yes, you have been posting bullshit, and I wish you would stop, it's getting silly.

Once again under Reconstruction the South was NOT allowed to have its old leaders at all. In fact numerous Republicans were elected, including Blacks. So I REPEAT, what leaders did Johnson put back in power that were around after 1866? Come on can not be to hard for you to prove. Try.
I already suceeded, a few posts ago, you keep choosing to insist I am wrong, as well as every single presidential historian.

Trying to rewrite history is silly, as I have said to Gunny a few times, you can't rewrite history to suit you, and there is good reason why he's considered the worst US president ever.

You are wrong. Here's another for you.

Reconstruction in the South

Johnson's policies were overturned by Congress. His policies were in effect for about a year. Reconstruction forced equality onto the South and was enforced by the US military. Grant pulled the strings on Reconstruction too soon. When US troops left, so did Reconstruction.

THAT is what gave the power back to Southern whites.

You are incorrect.
No, I'm not.

Jim Crow Laws did not exist until after Reconstruction ended.
Yes i know.
Blacks DID suffer the SAME racial prejudice in the North they did in the South.
It wasn't a picnic but it also wasn't as bad as the South.

Johnson did not allow the Southerners who rebelled back into power as my link above clearly points out.
yes, he did, that was why Congress moved against him.

Johnson in fact sided with the democrats in difiance of existing US law (Confiscation acts of 1861 & 1862), wholesale pardons, and no treason trails (which he himself championed beforehand.)

IMO, he was not the worst President in US History. Since Congress emasculated him and usurped his authority, that is a factually incorrect judgment.
That is not the judgement of history.

Absolute BULLSHIT.

You are wrong. Here's another for you.

Reconstruction in the South

Johnson's policies were overturned by Congress. His policies were in effect for about a year. Reconstruction forced equality onto the South and was enforced by the US military. Grant pulled the strings on Reconstruction too soon. When US troops left, so did Reconstruction.

THAT is what gave the power back to Southern whites.

Would that make Grant the worst president?

You are incorrect.
No, I'm not.

Jim Crow Laws did not exist until after Reconstruction ended.
Yes i know.
It wasn't a picnic but it also wasn't as bad as the South.

yes, he did, that was why Congress moved against him.

Johnson in fact sided with the democrats in difiance of existing US law (Confiscation acts of 1861 & 1862), wholesale pardons, and no treason trails (which he himself championed beforehand.)

That is not the judgement of history.

Whatever dude. For whatever reason, you choose to ignore the facts I provided for your own incorrect version of history and refuse to accept anything else. Obviously, I am wasting my time.

Enjoy.

You are wrong.
Sorry but I am not wrong here.

Johnson was NOT the champion of reconstruction, he in fact sabotaged it, his polices changed, read up on the man.

One of the main reasons why he is the worst US president was he was easily swayed by flattery away from his original stance into one that blocked real attempts at reconstruction.

And yes, he did pardon all the southerners, in definace of his own claims he would do otherwise, and yes, he allowed the attempts at reconstruction to end preventing real change.

The complete end to this occured under Grant, but the US military often refused to control the actions of Southerners long before Grant was POTUS.

He was, without doubt, the worst US President in history, and remains the only president ever impeached, being saved from being removed by one vote in teh senate (which was not an elected body at the time, senators were appointed by states).

Whatever dude.
Yes, 'whatever,'

For whatever reason, you choose to ignore the facts I provided for your own incorrect version of history and refuse to accept anything else. Obviously, I am wasting my time.

Enjoy.
You are trying to rewrite history, there is no restoration of Johnson that is possible.

And yes, he caused the coming of Jim Crowe, allowed the sounthern slavers back into power (only congress prevented it, they refused to seat the slavers in defiance of andy) and so misused his office the other branches tried to eject this boob.

Would that make Grant the worst president?
Grant had the most corrupt government in US history, in his second term.

His problem was in picking really bad people for offices, while he himself was not a bad president, the actions of the people he appointed ended up ruining his administration.

STILL WAITING for that list of Confederates that ran the Southern States from 1866 to 1876. You keep claiming they did, provide the names and dates they were in office and ran things.

Explain how BLACKS got elected to office in Southern States from 1866 to 1876 if the Confederates were running things? Explain how there were black judges on the bench during those years?

I remember when I was a kid, they said he was the worst President in history. What did he do to deserve that?

He abolished the Second Bank of the United States which threw the country into a deep and prolonged economic recession.

I remember when I was a kid, they said he was the worst President in history. What did he do to deserve that?

He abolished the Second Bank of the United States which threw the country into a deep and prolonged economic recession.

Wrong on both counts. It was Andrew Jackson that ended the second Bank of the United States, and doing so was most certainly not the cause of any recession.

Last edited:
STILL WAITING for that list of Confederates that ran the Southern States from 1866 to 1876. You keep claiming they did, provide the names and dates they were in office and ran things.

Explain how BLACKS got elected to office in Southern States from 1866 to 1876 if the Confederates were running things? Explain how there were black judges on the bench during those years?
Still waiting for you to man up and admit you were wrong, but it's clear that isn't the way you operate.

You want to try and rewrite history in your mind, knock yourself out.

The facts remain the same, you are WRONG.

Still waiting for you to man up and admit you were wrong, but it's clear that isn't the way you operate.

You want to try and rewrite history in your mind, knock yourself out.

The facts remain the same, you are WRONG.

REALLY? No names, I have posted the actually make up of the federal Elected officials from those States and if I must I will go find all the State Administrations too. You have made a claim, BACK IT UP. Or do you usually resort to " NANANANANANANA, cause I said so"

REALLY? No names, I have posted the actually make up of the federal Elected officials from those States and if I must I will go find all the State Administrations too. You have made a claim, BACK IT UP. Or do you usually resort to " NANANANANANANA, cause I said so"
I see asking you to man up is pointless, from what i see you could not boy up. :lol:

I already showed you what he did, exactly what I said, and that congress prevented their being seated.

Tell me, does this clinton impression you do work well for you?

My God, the absolute historical ignorance that has been posted in this thread is astounding!

"The House's primary charge against Johnson was violation of the Tenure of Office Act, passed by the U.S. Congress in March 1867, over the President's veto. Specifically, he had removed from office Edwin McMasters Stanton, the Secretary of War—whom the Act was largely designed to protect—and attempted to replace him with Brevet Major General Lorenzo Thomas. (Earlier, while the Congress was not in session, Johnson had suspended Stanton and appointed General Ulysses S. Grant as Secretary of War ad interim.)"

Impeachment of Andrew Johnson - Wikipedia

I don't know where some of you dumbasses came up with all of that bullshit, but I suggest you learn to read!

Forum List

Back